+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Parallels beta supports iPhone, Google phone talk reappears

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Parallels is launching a new test version of its Parallels Desktop virtualization software that, among other features, supports the iPhone. Also, a new report suggests that Google's first cellphone is
    Thanks

Post New Parallels beta supports iPhone, Google phone talk reappears
    Parallels is launching a new test version of its Parallels Desktop virtualization software that, among other features, supports the iPhone. Also, a new report suggests that Google's first cellphone is well underway.

Parallels beta supports Expose, iPhone in Windows

Wednesday signaled the public release of a new beta for Parallels Desktop that promised multiple extensions blurring the line between native Mac and virtual Windows environments.

Significantly, the test update for version 3.0 adds full recognition of the iPhone in Windows XP or Vista virtual machines, allowing the device to sync with iTunes. The unusual change is necessary for those who may run Microsoft Outlook for work purposes and need its data on the Apple device, according to Parallels.

"Yes, I realize the irony of syncing an Apple device with Windows running on a Mac, but lots of people need [this]," said company PR chief Ben Rudolph. "Try not to judge."

The refresh also further blends Windows apps into Coherence Mode, integrating them with the Mac OS X Expose task switcher and adding drop shadow effects.

Other changes included restoring the Image Tool's features to let the user change the size and state of disk images, and the ability to browse a virtual machine's file system while the environment is in suspend mode.

The update is currently free and open to any public user already running Parallels Desktop 3.

Google funneling money into cellphone project

Reuters' investment guidance firm Anian has revealed in a recent report that Google's often-rumored cellphone project is not only real but has received a large infusion of cash on the road to completion.

While short on details, the report said that Google was taking the concept of its own cellphone seriously and had spent "hundreds of millions" of dollars designing and preparing for the device. Taiwan's HTC, which regularly produces and then rebrands phones for American and European markets, was purportedly designing a Linux phone on behalf of the Mountain View, Calif.-based search engine giant. T-Mobile would be the primary carrier for the phone in the US in early 2008 while Orange would service France and other areas, Anian said.

Google had also allegedly discussed deals with AT&T and Verizon for integrating Google service into their cellphone lines but had been turned down by at least Verizon, which objected to splitting ad revenue with the potential partner. All three American carriers said to be involved in the deal declined to comment.

The move by Google to create its own phone would complicate its relationship with Apple and other phone designers such as LG, many of whom already have installed custom Google map and search tools in recent models. The iPhone to date relies on Google's Maps utility and its search engine in the mobile version of Safari, but is expected to gain more apps over time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think a google phone is kindof stupid because google doesnt have any other products that would work hand in hand with it... also they offer their services to so many other companys that they would need to strip those from them and then google would fall apart because the reason they are so sucsessfull is because everybody wants to use there tecnology also what would they do to the phone? make it touchscrean? maybe play music? i mean there isnt anything that they could do to it besides have it take videos have ichat and use 3g that would set it apart from the iphone. you know? googles a great company but they shouldnt make their first actual physical product a cell phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Lay Low Google...
    ...now why on earth would Google want to make a phone? Why try and compete when the "iPhone" iS the best phone out? iF they can't make another iPhone replica but with 4 times the memory, a video recorder, with copy & paste, free unlockin', flash support, a cheap unlimited plan (minutes/data), and a bunch of other crap all iN one then don't go for iT. Let's suppose that they do come out with an so called iPhone killer; you make iT cheap so everybody can afford iT then your dead meat. iN my opinion, nobody wants the hottest phone out and everywhere you turn everybody got one. $mart phones aren't for dusty little kids...

...as for Parallels, this long awaited software better add more features to the iPhone like Microsoft Office or somethin'. That and a way to store and download/upload files off and on the internet from the iPhone...

-sent from my iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill69 View Post
    ....but they shouldnt make their first actual physical product a cell phone
    They gotta start somewhere! This is what will drive down the prices of premium cell phones! It's a win-win situation for the consumer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

yea, google has always been user friendly with everything they make i think, whether its products (there arent many, or any, im not sure), or internet services, so itll be interesting to see what they do to get in the cell phone market and start makin smart phones. who knows? they might make an iphone replica with everything that apple left out of iphone version 1? with flash support copy paste video record and any sim card? that would be awesome, i just am interested to wait and see what they make, and what apps can run on a linux-phone.
    oh, and parallels is awesome! ive used it and vmware fusion, and vm ware just doesnt do good for me, idk maybe its just the apps i choose to run, but parallels just is a better product.

thanks for the news!
    i LOVE apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

Fusion is great. It recognizes iPhone natively. For that matter, it sees anything you plug in to a usb port.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

From what I've read, Google is not making a phone, but an OS.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

an OS?!? That is really cool. Where did you see this pf?
    i LOVE apple.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Author of the NYT report Miguel Helft says:

In short, Google is not creating a gadget to rival the iPhone, but rather creating software that will be an alternative to Windows Mobile from Microsoft and other operating systems, which are built into phones sold by many manufacturers. And unlike Microsoft, Google is not expected to charge phone makers a licensing fee for the software.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Oh thats really cool. Good ol' Google always offering great things for free
    i LOVE apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I have no complaint. Two of the most innovative firms in the world compete each other with the most innovative product. Whoever win would be great for us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill69 View Post
    i think a google phone is kindof stupid because google doesnt have any other products that would work hand in hand with it... also they offer their services to so many other companys that they would need to strip those from them and then google would fall apart because the reason they are so sucsessfull is because everybody wants to use there tecnology also what would they do to the phone? make it touchscrean? maybe play music? i mean there isnt anything that they could do to it besides have it take videos have ichat and use 3g that would set it apart from the iphone. you know? googles a great company but they shouldnt make their first actual physical product a cell phone
    They may not have products to be compatible with, but i would love to have a phone that could use gmail correctly, not to mention google docs and spreadsheets...

When asked what he would say to the columbine killers, Marilyn Manson said, "I would say nothing to them. I would listen to what they have to say, because that's what nobody else did" from the movie Farenheit 9/11