+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 10% of iPhones sold in September to unlockers?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I did an unlock for my coworker for 30 bucks. I'm not sure if I should try to unlock and resell or not.
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    I did an unlock for my coworker for 30 bucks. I'm not sure if I should try to unlock and resell or not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hate to point out the extremely obvious, but its people that unlock and resell their iPhones (most times for a profit) that screw the rest of the community over. Apple stated a few times that they didnt mind people changing icons, or even installing 3rd party apps. They do, and for good reason, mind people unlocking their phones, especially turning a profit by doing so.

Most people think (and continually post saying) that Apple hooked up with AT&T so that they get a kick-back on every phone they sell, which is not true at all. Apple paired up with AT&T because, believe it or not, AT&T has the most widespread & robust GSM/Edge network. I'm not saying they are the best in every area/market. Also, Apple wanted a certain level of coverage/service in specific areas, which required AT&T (or T-mobile if they had been chosen) to build quite a few cells sites in different areas to support this need. Beyond the current, first generation iPhone, they made this multi-year exclusive partnership for future iPhones. AT&T has a very good start on their UMTS/HSDPA 3G network with complete coverage in most major cities, where as T-Mobile just began building their 3G network a few months ago. (Sorry Verizon/Sprint people, we'll probably never see a CDMA/CDMA2k or Ev-Do iPhone)

Not trying to go completely AT&T fanboy on everyone, but keep in mind that your keeping the iPhone community from being able to load 3rd party applications by unlocking so many devices

Green Apple
    Thanks

yea i myself also unlock and sell for a profit. Just unlocked my first phone a couple days ago and sold for a nice profit in a day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goronok View Post
    I hate to point out the extremely obvious, but its people that unlock and resell their iPhones (most times for a profit) that screw the rest of the community over...........Not trying to go completely AT&T fanboy on everyone, but keep in mind that your keeping the iPhone community from being able to load 3rd party applications by unlocking so many devices
    If you were near me I would b.itch-slap you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lmao, I figured I'd get a few bitchslaps for posting all of that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you pay cash at an Apple store for an iPhone, do they require your personal information at the time of purchase?

iPhone? More like MyPhone taylorcold's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL...

I know that you are probably right but I have sold a few myself and now I "unlock" others iPhones for a profit. Steve Jobs is a rich man. I love picking his pocket and as for the recent firmware, I am sure it was inevitable. Steve Jobs has always resisted making his computers upgradable by anyone except Apple. I am sure the smart folks here knew this would happen. Jobs called the recent activity a "cat and mouse" game and in the short time I have been here, it seems the mouse is much smarter than the cat. 1.1.1 will be hacked and Jobs will counter. I think alot of the people here like the challenge.

My thanks to PF for all his hard work.

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah people but unlcok then sell!!
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Pl4ter's Avatar
    Thanks

i wouldnt be surprised....selling iphones on ebay is going crazy now...theres tons of iphones up there...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought mine soley so I could use it over here in Italy while I am stationed here. I had contemplated buying a few and reselling them for a 1-1 Dollar to Euro ratio (make 40% due to the exchange rate right now!), ie. $399 stateside E399 in Italy. But alas, my conscience got the better of me and Id feel obligated to donate most to the DevTeam since I used a FREE hack they put out to turn a profit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxjoebreadxx's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I did as well!

iPhone? More like MyPhone catriple's Avatar
    Thanks

You must donate to where the unlock came from if you are reselling... its the right thing to do. The DMCA gives you the exemption and the Dev Team gives you the profitabilty power! Must give credit where credit is due!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default There's nothing wrong or illegal in reselling 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    You must donate to where the unlock came from if you are reselling... its the right thing to do. The DMCA gives you the exemption and the Dev Team gives you the profitabilty power! Must give credit where credit is due!
    Very right on that.

Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    yeah people but unlcok then sell!!
    Business for good
    Last edited by manille; 10-14-2007 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

nope, i only bought a few phones for my family and did unlocking for free

no offence, but i thought it's quite mean to make money like that
    dev team did that to free us and not to help us to make money

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12