Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tim Cook Releases Statement in Regards to iCloud Photo Hacking

Thanks

Default Tim Cook Releases Statement in Regards to iCloud Photo Hacking

Apple CEO Tim Cook has finally released a statement in regards to the celebrity iCloud leaked photos incident and sat down with The World Street Journal for an exclusive interview. In the interview, Cook again stated that the iCloud system was not breached but also announced that new security measures will be rolled out for iCloud to prevent a similar incident from happening again. According to WSJ,

"When I step back from this terrible scenario that happened and say what more could we have done, I think about the awareness piece," Cook said. "I think we have a responsibility to ratchet that up. That's not really an engineering thing."
    As part of the new security measures, users will be receiving e-mail and notification alerts when someone is trying to restore iCloud content to a different device, change the password on the account, or log into the iCloud account for the first time on another device. Upon receiving the message, users will be able to either delete the files before it can be downloaded or close off access. Currently, the Touch ID fingerprint recognition feature and iCloud’s two-step authentication asks users to enter two different passwords and codes. Users first set up a password and then a separate code, which is then sent to a recognized device before changes on an account can be made.

The Cupertino-based company has noted however, that most consumers do not use this two-factor authentication. But they will be pushing and encouraging users to turn on this feature when the new iOS is released. Do you think Apple is to blame for the celebrity photos that were released over Labor Day weekend? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: The Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 09-05-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Why should Apple be blamed? The ones who are at fault here are the ones doing the wrong. I mean at least apple is trying to do something to help prevent it from happening again but you can't say it was there fault. It's like saying if someone breaks into your car is it the cars manufacturer fault that someone decided to break your cars window no right. So why should any one blame apple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroskater61 For This Useful Post:

Cmds187 (09-08-2014)

It's always easier to blame an authority (Apple) for an issue than to assume responsibility for ones own actions.

I think because they didn't stop brute force hacks. Tell me would you build a customer website and then allow multiple tries to guess the password. Or was that miss reported

Using a device connected to the net to take, store photos of this kind is never a great idea but blaming apple is just too easy for them

My iPhone is a Part of Me SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    I think because they didn't stop brute force hacks. Tell me would you build a customer website and then allow multiple tries to guess the password. Or was that miss reported
    If I understand it right they used info found on social networking sites to answer the password reset stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Why should Apple be blamed? The ones who are at fault here are the ones doing the wrong. I mean at least apple is trying to do something to help prevent it from happening again but you can't say it was there fault. It's like saying if someone breaks into your car is it the cars manufacturer fault that someone decided to break your cars window no right. So why should any one blame apple.
    LMAO! If a car manufacturer made their cars so that a screwdriver or any similar piece of metal could be used to unlock the doors and start the ignition, then surely they should share some of the blame if that car was stolen. We can pretend to live in a perfect world where no one does any wrong but we all know this is not the case. That's why I'm sure u have a lock on ur front door and passcode on ur devices. I don't wanna start blaming the victims but I'm an absolute nobody but any sensitive photos even I take get deleted from iCloud straight away, the only reason they get uploaded is I can't be bothered to turn sync off and back on every time I wanna take sensitive pics. Celebs should know that people are gunning for them, it the unfortunate price of fame.
    Last edited by Gervs; 09-06-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Wow never looked at it that way

Last edited by Pir8pete; 09-08-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    LMAO! If a car manufacturer made their cars so that a screwdriver or any similar piece of metal could be used to unlock the doors and start the ignition, then surely they should share some of the blame if that car was stolen. We can pretend to live in a perfect world where no one does any wrong but we all know this is not the case. That's why I'm sure u have a lock on ur front door and passcode on ur devices. I don't wanna start blaming the victims but I'm an absolute nobody but any sensitive photos even I take get deleted from iCloud straight away, the only reason they get uploaded is I can't be bothered to turn sync off and back on every time I wanna take sensitive pics. Celebs should know that people are gunning for them, it the unfortunate price of fame.
    Apple already had 2 step verifications, email and phone notifications to alert for restores and password attempts and much more. You can't blame your car manufacturer for someone breaking into your car if you don't lock your doors and keep the windows down.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to grayfox02 For This Useful Post:

SpidermanAPV (09-09-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox02 View Post
    Apple already had 2 step verifications, email and phone notifications to alert for restores and password attempts and much more. You can't blame your car manufacturer for someone breaking into your car if you don't lock your doors and keep the windows down.
    +1 I was thinking the same, but wasn't sure how to say it.