Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Analyst Claims Samsung's Announcements Were Lackluster

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,099
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 132 Times in 117 Posts

    Default Analyst Claims Samsung's Announcements Were Lackluster


    Samsung recently made a slew of announcements including its next-gen Galaxy Note 4 smartphone, its Gear VR partnership with Oculus and its Gear S smartwatch. According to analyst Brian White, none of the announcements were that impressive. White believes that Samsung isn’t positioned well enough to compete with Apple’s upcoming fall product lineup and he expressed this in a recent note to investors. In his note he used words such as “underwhelming,” “rushed,” and “half-baked” to describe Samsung’s announcements.

    White even went as far as saying that he believes Samsung’s announcements were a subpar attempt at gaining some traction before Apple holds its own media event on September 9th. The following was mentioned in his note regarding the matter:

    In our view, this strategy was ill-advised because we found the event 'half baked' with no details around the price points, launch dates a bit fuzzy, limited technical specifications, and 'gimmicky' features. With the potential threat of this event now out of the way, we believe this just made Apple's 'Fab Fall' launch a lot easier because the company's #1 competitor does not appear well prepared to take on Apple's new iPhones this fall.
    As of right now, rumors continue to come in left and right as the media event date gets closer. The Cupertino California company is heavily anticipated to release two new iPhone models this year with varying screen sizes, announce a mobile payment initiative, and provide more information regarding an “iWatch.” Ultimately we’ll have to wait and see what Apple removes the curtains on. Shortly after we’ll see if White was right or if Apple and Samsung will continue to go back and forth as they have been.

    Source: Cantor Fitzgerald via AppleInsider

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,623
    Thanks
    42,550
    Thanked 18,254 Times in 6,622 Posts

    Finally the real truth comes out. Is this the year that Samsuck takes its worst beating yet!
    Widget-Weather App Currently Being Updated for iOS 8!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    If you need to generate the MyLocation.txt file in the mean time for widgets, install the MyLocation app from here:
    http://cydia.myrepospace.com/kohidevice/

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    Carvensno (09-04-2014)

  4. #3
    I agree, I watched the presentation and it was HORRIBLE. That Samsung CEO or whoever it was that went on first, has a terrible voice for public speaking. Yes, English is obviously not his first language, but I think they should have cut his speech at least by half. That girl's lame attempt at humor was the worst part probably.

    The best part of the presentation was the Note Edge. We'll see how that works out in real life, but it is interesting. The Gear S looks much improved from the POS they presented last year. The VR thing, talk about gimmicky. And then NO sale/shipping date or pricing?? wtf, over.

    Like every year, Apple is gonna steal everyone's thunder next Tuesday.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (09-04-2014), michaelhoangly (09-04-2014)

  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Finally the real truth comes out. Is this the year that Samsuck takes its worst beating yet!
    Keep on hating. Samsung started the whole phablet thing with the note 1 and the 5.3 inch display. Now apple is copying them cause they realized that theres a market for it. And rest assure that the note 4 will run circles around the iphone 5.5 inch with that magical S pen.

  7. #5
    Although I will have to ask who paid him to say that lol. But I do believe they rushed everything so much that they ran out of ideas. Apple is slow but they take it slow and take their time with their ideas but it helps them in the long run when things like Samsung have come up short

  8. #6
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,623
    Thanks
    42,550
    Thanked 18,254 Times in 6,622 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
    Keep on hating. Samsung started the whole phablet thing with the note 1 and the 5.3 inch display. Now apple is copying them cause they realized that theres a market for it. And rest assure that the note 4 will run circles around the iphone 5.5 inch with that magical S pen.
    And yet here you are!

    Obviously a supporter of Samsung and your spending your time on an iPhone forum trying to sway people over.

    Are things that slow on the Samsung forums? Oh and by the way, Apple was the first to utilize the full size touch screen for smart phones. So who is really copying? Samsung cant even write their own OS, just pathetic! Get a life bro and just hang with all those happy Samsung users and just stop trolling the iPhone forums.
    Widget-Weather App Currently Being Updated for iOS 8!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    If you need to generate the MyLocation.txt file in the mean time for widgets, install the MyLocation app from here:
    http://cydia.myrepospace.com/kohidevice/

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    sheltons.iphone (09-05-2014)

  10. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    And yet here you are!

    Obviously a supporter of Samsung and your spending your time on an iPhone forum trying to sway people over.

    Are things that slow on the Samsung forums? Oh and by the way, Apple was the first to utilize the full size touch screen for smart phones. So who is really copying? Samsung cant even write their own OS, just pathetic! Get a life bro and just hang with all those happy Samsung users and just stop trolling the iPhone forums.
    You're acting rather immature. I am on an Android forum and nobody bashes Apple products like the folks do on this site. Of course, what should I expect from someone with a username like "King_O_Hill" and a fruity rainbow colored user title who doesn't know the difference between "you're" and your?"

    Some people actually like other phones besides iPhones and like to browse several forums. Get it?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to ABOSWORTH For This Useful Post:

    Schnedi (09-05-2014)

  12. #8
    Crapple's Department of Propaganda is at it again, making bogus claims, trying to hype the Crapple iPhone 6. I wonder how many lawsuits they threatened to force these journalists to write this schlock. The fact is, I don't base the quality of a device based on the personal attributes of some guy. If I did that, I would say iPhones suck because Steve Jobs bathed once a week, and smelled like BO (this is a fact, look it up. Steve Jobs bathed once a week).

    Even the layman can predict MOST of what was not said. Based on trends, the Note 4 is going to be $699 entry (32 gb of storage) with an additional hundred for any storage increase. It would be nice to get confirmation on these things, but this was a showcase of the phone's power to perform, not its ability to drain your finances. Samsung is the master of marketing, and they are not gonna put on a spectacle for a price tag.

    Claiming that there were "limited technical specifications" is simply a lie. Every single technical detail of this device was published, and is available with a simply search on Google.

    As for the "gimmicky features" claim...that is just laughable. While not all of Samsungs features have been killer "must haves", the fact is, they are not afraid to try new things, they try to make a phone to predict the needs of their users, and appeal to a wide range of people, not just hipsters. How is faster battery charging a gimmick? That sounds pretty useful to me.

    The fact is, the phone that is being called "gimmicky" (Note 4) is being emulated and copied by Crapple (poorly copied, might I add) because Crapple is releasing their own phablet. I am sure once they reveal their iPhablet on the 9th, they are going to release some bogus patent from the year 1136 which details "a rectangular object of vague dimension" and sue Samsung for $3.6 billion on the grounds of "infringement". Phablets are on pace to outpace PC sales and tablet sales simply due to their robust nature.

    I smell fear and death...and it is coming from Capple's direction.

  13. #9
    You're gonna tell me that VR stuff is NOT gimmicky?! lol

    Okay. bye.

  14. #10
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,623
    Thanks
    42,550
    Thanked 18,254 Times in 6,622 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    You're acting rather immature. I am on an Android forum and nobody bashes Apple products like the folks do on this site. Of course, what should I expect from someone with a username like "King_O_Hill" and a fruity rainbow colored user title who doesn't know the difference between "you're" and your?"

    Some people actually like other phones besides iPhones and like to browse several forums. Get it?
    Hey good call on the grammatical error! I almost never make a mistake like that, but I'm glad that you caught it.

    So is the bashing on the Samsung forums only Samsung bashing? No one defends it by bashing Apple? Yeah, I guess I can buy that! But what I don't understand is that if Samsung makes such superior products then why are you here? Why waste your time? I have never bothered to go to a Samsung forum, as I could care less what is going on about anything that is discussed over there. But not only did you come here, you actually took the time to register and participate in discussions just to argue with someone else's opinion.

    That is immature my friend.
    Widget-Weather App Currently Being Updated for iOS 8!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    If you need to generate the MyLocation.txt file in the mean time for widgets, install the MyLocation app from here:
    http://cydia.myrepospace.com/kohidevice/

  15. #11
    I haven't seen the presentation myself, but from what I've read on the products, they are mostly not remarkable.

    The most remarkable thing seems to be the Edge, but to me, that seems pretty gimmicky and not very useful. It may provide ever so slightly more screen real estate, but in terms of reaching buttons, it's not a real benefit. And when you tack on all the downsides like requiring customer software/apps, lack of ability to use a case, and the much increased breakability, it's really a bad idea!

    I'll have to check on the watch to get more details, but if it has built in GPs like I read, that's a big deal to me. My current "smartwatch" is a Garmin Forerunner 220, and for me to even consider any other real smartwatch it will have to at least include the funcationality of my Garmin. GPs is one step, but there are many others, like all the exercise features of my Garmin, and being water-resistant up to 50 feet for those days when I get caught in a downpour while running. I', hoping Apple's watch will cover these bases, but I won't hold my breath.

  16. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,691
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 221 Times in 152 Posts

    Samsung stole the very design Apple created for the iPhone. I remember when they were almost indistinguishable..yes it was last year :]
    Also, Samsung is now using an aluminum body..Apple started that one too. They also ripped off the finger sensor tech to a point. So, Android Fan Freaks, before you start mouthing off, know the reason why you even exist..thank APPLE.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (09-05-2014)

  18. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Hey good call on the grammatical error! I almost never make a mistake like that, but I'm glad that you caught it.

    So is the bashing on the Samsung forums only Samsung bashing? No one defends it by bashing Apple? Yeah, I guess I can buy that! But what I don't understand is that if Samsung makes such superior products then why are you here? Why waste your time? I have never bothered to go to a Samsung forum, as I could care less what is going on about anything that is discussed over there. But not only did you come here, you actually took the time to register and participate in discussions just to argue with someone else's opinion.

    That is immature my friend.
    I was being a jerk in correcting your spelling. LOL

    Why did I register here? I've owned both iPhones and Android devices. I joined here a couple of years ago when I had a jailbroken iPhone. I didn't just register to come on here and bash Apple products as you suggest. LOL. Do you really think anyone who says a word against Apple on this site is doing that? There are clearly trolls who do this but I can assure you that I am not one of them.

    I think Apple makes great products. I currently have an Android phone but I still like reading about what's going on here as I'm not a loyalist and weigh my options when choosing a new phone rather than just buying an iPhone because it's made by Apple or buying a the new S or Note because it's made by Samsung.

    I find it odd that you would criticize someone for being interested in both platforms. I guess I just don't understand the hate for other options. I'm glad for the competition. It keeps things headed in the right direction and now Apple finally will be releasing something with a bigger screen, which people have been begging for for a long time now.

    I normally don't bother replying to posts like the one you made because I know this is an Apple forum and I don't browse on here just to argue but for whatever reason, I felt inclined to respond.

    Of course you will see people bashing either side but I can tell you for a fact that on AndroidCentral, you do not see the Apple bashing to the degree that you see Android bashing on this site. To be honest, I actually see more Apple bashing on this site as well. LOL, go figure.

    Back on topic, the new Note looks pretty awesome IMO and I'm looking forward to reading more about the smartwatch.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABOSWORTH For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (09-05-2014), saleen_GT (09-05-2014)

  20. #14
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,623
    Thanks
    42,550
    Thanked 18,254 Times in 6,622 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    I was being a jerk in correcting your spelling. LOL

    Why did I register here? I've owned both iPhones and Android devices. I joined here a couple of years ago when I had a jailbroken iPhone. I didn't just register to come on here and bash Apple products as you suggest. LOL. Do you really think anyone who says a word against Apple on this site is doing that? There are clearly trolls who do this but I can assure you that I am not one of them.

    I think Apple makes great products. I currently have an Android phone but I still like reading about what's going on here as I'm not a loyalist and weigh my options when choosing a new phone rather than just buying an iPhone because it's made by Apple or buying a the new S or Note because it's made by Samsung.

    I find it odd that you would criticize someone for being interested in both platforms. I guess I just don't understand the hate for other options. I'm glad for the competition. It keeps things headed in the right direction and now Apple finally will be releasing something with a bigger screen, which people have been begging for for a long time now.

    I normally don't bother replying to posts like the one you made because I know this is an Apple forum and I don't browse on here just to argue but for whatever reason, I felt inclined to respond.

    Of course you will see people bashing either side but I can tell you for a fact that on AndroidCentral, you do not see the Apple bashing to the degree that you see Android bashing on this site. To be honest, I actually see more Apple bashing on this site as well. LOL, go figure.

    Back on topic, the new Note looks pretty awesome IMO and I'm looking forward to reading more about the smartwatch.
    It's all good bro. I bash Samsung just for the fun of it. I enjoy iPhones and like that its an American based company, albeit not made here, I get it. But ultimately, I have a lot of friends here, so it's more of a social thing for me. As long as it works, I could really care less. Haha

    Nice reply, and well played. #respect
    Widget-Weather App Currently Being Updated for iOS 8!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    If you need to generate the MyLocation.txt file in the mean time for widgets, install the MyLocation app from here:
    http://cydia.myrepospace.com/kohidevice/

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    ABOSWORTH (09-05-2014)

  22. #15
    I like the Edge, but that's pretty stupid to only put it on one side. Why not have it on both sides? That would have looked way cooler, as well as making it easier to use with the left hand.

    It's like Samsung is afraid to go the distance, as if they're tip-toeing around innovative ideas but don't fully commit.

    Although, I guess the VR helmet is pretty neat, and the smartwatch is becoming more refined (but still not something I would ever buy).
    Last edited by Jahooba; 09-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.

  23. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Samsung stole the very design Apple created for the iPhone. I remember when they were almost indistinguishable..yes it was last year :]
    Also, Samsung is now using an aluminum body..Apple started that one too. They also ripped off the finger sensor tech to a point. So, Android Fan Freaks, before you start mouthing off, know the reason why you even exist..thank APPLE.
    Check your facts.

    Crapple did NOT invent fingerprint scanning or biometrics in general.

    Crapple did NOT invent aluminum. Every OEM is entitled to use whatever they want, as long as it is found on the periodic table of elements.

    Crapple did not invent the GUI, nor does it own "rectangles" and "icons on the screen". I know, I know...in the Crapple world, where Xenophobic US judges and the broken US patent system rules everything, it is possible for corporations to own letters and shapes. However, to the rest of the world...not so much. The only thing Samsung stole was Crapple's thunder...and Samsung has been shining ever since, while Crapple slowly sinks into a cesspool of outdated hardware and terrible design.

    Do you think the iSheep will finally see 1080p on the iPhone 6? I doubt it. Perhaps when Samsung moves onto 4K displays on their Galaxy line, Crapple will CONSIDER the merits of 1080p.

    Crapple often uses Samsung-manufactured hardware in their devices. Granted, as time has marched on, Crapple has diversified their suppliers, but, iPhones exist because Samsung was their to provide the hardware for the most vital components. iDiots and iSheep should be thanking SAMSUNG for making the existence of the outdated and obsolete iPhones 2G, 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, and 6 possible, as well as the iMaxipads and iPods.

    The only thing Crapple knows how to innovate is lawyer fees and new ways of clogging up the courts. I will admit, Crapple has achieved God-hood when it comes to putting lawyers on the payroll, filing patents along the lines of "an object of unspecified dimensions that does a non-specific, all inclusive set of tasks", and stagnating competition. They simply can't be beat when it comes to lawsuits. However, when it comes to making cutting edge hardware...Crapple is the 4 year old kid who wets himself at the dinner table.

  24. #17
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,623
    Thanks
    42,550
    Thanked 18,254 Times in 6,622 Posts

    And there is a true troll that creates an account on an iPhone forum for the sole purpose of bashing iPhones. He has nothing to add to the conversation and insists that Samsung is the front runner here. Where is Samsung's own OS for all their magnificent completely original devices?

    This would be fun if you actually had a small clue of what you were talking about.

    Why don't you just participate in a Samsung forum where there are plenty of people that agree with you. Oh, but then there would be no one to argue with. Oh and I was also informed that Apple bashing does not go on there. I guess that's why you come here, just to argue.

    Why not go play in a different sandbox.
    Widget-Weather App Currently Being Updated for iOS 8!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    If you need to generate the MyLocation.txt file in the mean time for widgets, install the MyLocation app from here:
    http://cydia.myrepospace.com/kohidevice/

  25. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Georgia USA
    Posts
    706
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 137 Times in 98 Posts

    Sometimes the arguments around here cause a serious dip in my hope for humanity.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to SpidermanAPV For This Useful Post:

    Aenima133 (09-06-2014)

  27. #19
    Don't hate the player, Hate the Game, It lack luster simply because Samsung lacks their own imagination.

    Every time Apple announces a new product, Samsung races to spit out (oh - because we raced to get it out first we thought of it), as the experts say..... The lack of luster products.

    Yes Samsung helped Apple in the beginning, but Apple soon figured out Samsung's tune and can't be bothered with small minded companies.

    Welcome to the 64 Bit Club Samsung. My iPhone 5S is about a year old and again Samsung is late to the Party.

    P.S. Hope Samsung fixed their (ha-ha) fingerprint scanner's security issues

    (In a video of the hack, a researcher from Security Research Labs demonstrated how he was able to bypass the fingerprint security by using a "wood glue spoof")

    Samsung cracks me up ....."wood glue spoof" to get past there security, they could has squeezed the Galaxy it's self and got some "crap" out to use.

  28. #20
    Default People go over to Android pls.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    And yet here you are!

    Obviously a supporter of Samsung and your spending your time on an iPhone forum trying to sway people over.

    Are things that slow on the Samsung forums? Oh and by the way, Apple was the first to utilize the full size touch screen for smart phones. So who is really copying? Samsung cant even write their own OS, just pathetic! Get a life bro and just hang with all those happy Samsung users and just stop trolling the iPhone forums.
    I prefer people going over to Android actually. I switched over to Apple long ago. I hate these dreadful long waits to get your hands on an iPhone or iPad, I hate it when I see an iPad or iPhone in the hands of too many people. Kinda loses the exclusivity of holding an apple product.

    I hate it when Apple actually started competing with Samsung and the likes... now there is a phone every-year.. unlike before when I actually enjoyed using an apple product for over two to three years before I upgraded. Feels good to experience the investment I made on an apple product.

    Apple even went into making maps when it was not needed.

    People... If you can't appreciate an apple product for its simplicity just don't use one. And take like-minded people away from apple products. You fucks are complicating a simple device. I don't want an open source phone. I like a phone that is just a phone... not a phablet.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to kalpesh78 For This Useful Post:

    King_O_Hill (09-07-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •