Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Large Screen iPhone 6 Will be a Game Changer for Phablets

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Large Screen iPhone 6 Will be a Game Changer for Phablets

If rampant speculation about Apple releasing a new large-screen iPhone 6 proves correct, it could be a game changer for the fast-growing phablet market.

A new forecast from the International Data Corporation (IDC) shows that worldwide phablet shipments (smartphones with screen sizes from 5.5 to less than 7 inches) will reach 175 million units worldwide in 2014.

If that projection pans out, it will be a figure greater than the 170 million portable PCs expected to ship during the same period. Next year, IDC adds, total phablet volumes will top 318 million units, blowing well past the 233 million tablets forecast to ship in 2015.

"With Apple expected to join the space in the coming weeks, we anticipate even more attention on phablets as larger screen smartphones become the new norm," asserts Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker.

All told, IDC expects phablets to grow from 14.0% of the worldwide smartphone market in 2014 to 32.2% in 2018.

Source: IDC

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

nfsonofgod (09-03-2014)

Phablets are so ugly. If only they would make a normal sized one too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    Phablets are so ugly. If only they would make a normal sized one too.
    You mean a 'phone!' LOL!

I'm still VERY skeptical about a 5.5" iPhone coming this year. I 'hope' it does but I think it'd be announced w/ the new iPads, instead.

That's what I'm thinking, thazsar - likely the 5.5" model will be an iPod Touch or an iPad Mini-mini. I'm not sure I believe these "iPhone Air" rumors.

It would be weird for them to come out with two phones with different sized screens, especially since they're still doing great with their one-size model once-a-year strategy. People aren't going to buy both - they're going to buy one or the other, meaning they'll still sell the same amount of phones, so why start new production lines?

I'm all about the larger screen. It's funny that apple is finally doing a 4.7 and rumored to do a 5.5 size screen. All other competitors have 5 inch screens they are still behind other competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    That's what I'm thinking, thazsar - likely the 5.5" model will be an iPod Touch or an iPad Mini-mini. I'm not sure I believe these "iPhone Air" rumors.

It would be weird for them to come out with two phones with different sized screens, especially since they're still doing great with their one-size model once-a-year strategy. People aren't going to buy both - they're going to buy one or the other, meaning they'll still sell the same amount of phones, so why start new production lines?
    Will they do away with the 4" model? There has not been one leak on a 4" iPhone 6. There are a lot of iPhone users who don't want the screen to get any bigger. I actually hope they release all 3 sizes. It will give the iPhone users more of a choice.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Will they do away with the 4" model? There has not been one leak on a 4" iPhone 6. There are a lot of iPhone users who don't want the screen to get any bigger. I actually hope they release all 3 sizes. It will give the iPhone users more of a choice.
    No they won't most likely. Having that small of a form factor creates engineering issues, specifically batter size. I wish they would or at least create a phone that is relatively the same form factor.
    I just don't want a bigger phone.
    I have bought every iPhone without hesitation at launch, but I'm still waiting to see how big the 4.7 actually is. I might skip it, but doubtful.

Once the iPhone 6 phablet hits the market, Crapple is going to sue Samsung because the Galaxy Note 1 (2011) had the audacity to copy the iPhone 6's size and form factor. All the iSheep and iDiots will then claim that the Note 1 is a rip off and that Samsung does nothing original.

iSheep now all agree that more fragmentation and more choice in hardware is a good thing...yet...it is Android OEMs that copy Crapple.

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    I'm all about the larger screen. It's funny that apple is finally doing a 4.7 and rumored to do a 5.5 size screen. All other competitors have 5 inch screens they are still behind other competitors
    It just makes me chuckle to read about how "behind" Apple is compared to the competition. Their stakeholders and the people waiting in lines a week before their new devices come out would surely agree 😎

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    Once the iPhone 6 phablet hits the market, Crapple is going to sue Samsung because the Galaxy Note 1 (2011) had the audacity to copy the iPhone 6's size and form factor. All the iSheep and iDiots will then claim that the Note 1 is a rip off and that Samsung does nothing original.

iSheep now all agree that more fragmentation and more choice in hardware is a good thing...yet...it is Android OEMs that copy Crapple.
    It's a phone dude... Get a life! Nobody in the Android space even knows you exist.

Aaah I will wait for iPhone6S.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    No they won't most likely. Having that small of a form factor creates engineering issues, specifically batter size. I wish they would or at least create a phone that is relatively the same form factor.
    I just don't want a bigger phone.
    I have bought every iPhone without hesitation at launch, but I'm still waiting to see how big the 4.7 actually is. I might skip it, but doubtful.
    Yeah. When I switched from the 3.5 to 4" that was a big deal but by now it's no problem. An extra .7" will be nothing and it will be awesome. I'm getting the 4.7" my hands aren't that big.