+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JP Morgan: Apple Won't Be Using Sapphire Displays in this year's iPhone Refresh

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default JP Morgan: Apple Won't Be Using Sapphire Displays in this year's iPhone Refresh

According to investment firm, JP Morgan, sapphire is unlikely to appear in the upcoming next-gen iPhone due to prohibitive costs associated with producing the material in large quantities. Analyst Rod Hall issued a note to investors in which he reacted to a report from last week which suggesting that the cost of sapphire displays is still high.

It was noted that GT Advanced Technologies, Appleís sapphire partner, recently acquired a company known as Twin Creeks which uses a wafering processing to help reduce the cost of building a sapphire screen cover. Apple has its own patent on sapphire laminates that could also help reduce the cost further. Despite all of this, Hall mentioned that producing sapphire displays remains roughly 10 times more expensive than that of Corningís Gorilla Glass because the Hyperion ion implantation process isnít ready to be produced on a large scale as of yet.

Hall wrote the following regarding his speculation of sapphire displays in the iPhone this year:

Although we have channel indications that some sapphire devices will be produced, we actually lean toward Apple selling no sapphire phones this year.

On sapphire as a feature ó we see it as a huge phone seller. The screens are reportedly unscratchable (except by diamond) and virtually indestructible. We believe most people will want sapphire when and if it ever becomes available.
    For those of you who didnít already know, Apple was said to be using all-sapphire front panels for the iPhone because of the materialís resistance to scratches and cracks. The material is already being used to help protect the Touch ID home button in the iPhone 5S as well as the camera lens cover for both the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C.

Weíll have to wait and see what happens. Apple is currently said to make its annual iPhone announcement at a media event on September 9.

Source: JP Morgan via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Like I said before, it's highly likely they will save it for the 6S so that they have another stupid gimmick.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,911 Times in 6,519 Posts

Yeah, who wants a gimmick like a more scratch and crack resistant screen. They should just make them out of plastic.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    Like I said before, it's highly likely they will save it for the 6S so that they have another stupid gimmick.
    yeah, because something that is more durable is a gimmick. GTFOH

Thanks

Yeah. I think the current glass is a gimmick too. I don't see why we just can't touch the lcd.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was thinking the same thing..

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

Just another rumor! Unless JP Morgan has a insider sitting on the board? Just someone elses opinion! We will find out though in 3 weeks what rumors were true and what was BS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    The iPhone's are extremely durable. Idk how people spider web their screens so easily. It took me 3 years of abusing my iPhone's before one finally cracked. The crack isn't even noticeable either. And scratches I hardly ever see while actually using my phone so what does it even matter. People are too f****** picky about stupid s*** like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Angry much?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Venom1234 For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (08-19-2014)