+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'panicLock' Keeps Thieves and Nosy People Out of Your Applications

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 808 Posts

Default 'panicLock' Keeps Thieves and Nosy People Out of Your Applications

It seems we always have to worry about our own security left and right, there may be people trying to access the information on our iOS devices, and sometimes, we don't even know about it. For example, sometimes a thief or a nosy person can get ahold of your iOS device and simply start fooling around with your applications and viewing your personal information.

A new free jailbreak tweak called panicLock is now available in Cydia by iOS developer Ruslan Ardashev that allows you to easily lock down your iOS device, even when the thief or nosy person you're trying to defend against knows the passcode to get in.

This tweak is Activator-based, and when you activate it, it locks all of the applications on your iOS device (except for the Settings application) so that you can't open any of them. Your threat may be on the Home Screen, but at least they can't get into your social networking applications, Photos application, Messages application, and other applications that contain personal information within them.

The way panicLock works is simple it's Activator-based, which means it's turned on and off using Activator. You will visit the tweak's preferences pane in the Settings application to configure an Activator action of your choice. When you invoke the Activator action, it will either enable or disable the tweak:

After you have enabled the tweak, you can simply invoke the Activator action once more to disable it.

Since you can choose an Activator action that is easy to use even when your device is locked, you can be sure that your device is safe even when you know the beholder has your passcode for example, your nosy boyfriend or girlfriend may know how to get into your device, but once they're unable to open any applications, they'll probably give up.

Ardashev teases that a pro version of the tweak will be coming in the future with the ability to choose what applications will be locked and what applications can still be opened.

If you would like to give panicLock a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. iOS 7 is required for the installation. Activator is a dependency for the tweak but if you don't have it already, you will need to install it manually.

Name: panicLock
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2, Activator
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ruslan Ardashev
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Good idea and great of the dev to make free and paid versions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dev here! Thanks for the great feature, modmyi!

I've also created an instructional video located here:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    Dev here! Thanks for the great feature, modmyi!

I've also created an instructional video located here:

So how exactly are you supposed to get the thief to invoke the activator action? like i don't get that..... am i missing something?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iH85CH001 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (08-09-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Been using AppLocker for ages. Works a treat. Especially the session lock feature. Why do we need another app locker?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    So how exactly are you supposed to get the thief to invoke the activator action? like i don't get that..... am i missing something?
    If you're in the middle of getting mugged, you should try your best to invoke it before they pry it from your hands.