+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Disables Messaging Within App and Forces Users to Download Messenger App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Facebook Disables Messaging Within App and Forces Users to Download Messenger App

A major announcement came from Facebook recently, one which states that their main mobile app on the iPhone and Android will no longer support messaging. For those of you who enjoyed chatting on Facebook, you’ll have to download the Messenger application in order to message on Facebook. It was already reported previously that the popular social media company wanted to create another application for messaging. European users were even required first to utilize the Facebook Messenger app back in April to test it out. In return, positive feedback and results were received.

Even though the major announcement was mentioned by Facebook previously, no set date was ever confirmed upon in regards to the move and transition. For those who have Facebook’s standalone Messenger app downloaded already, everything will remain the same. When the full transition takes place, the social media’s Messages tab will be directly linking the standalone app instead of the inbox, a feature that was typically displayed. Facebook stated the following regarding the matter:

In the next few days, we’re continuing to notify more people that if they want to send and receive Facebook messages, they’ll need to download the Messenger app. As we’ve said, our goal is to focus development efforts on making Messenger the best mobile messaging experience possible and avoid the confusion of having separate Facebook mobile messaging experiences. Messenger is used by more than 200 million people every month, and we’ll keep working to make it an even more engaging way to connect with people.

How do you Facebook users feel about the change? Are you one of the many who are annoyed with the changes or do you think that Facebook is making the right move by splitting its features into multiple apps? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: TechCrunch, iTunes
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-28-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Facebook Disables Messaging Within App and Forces Users to Download Messenger...
    This is stupid. The point of me using the Facebook app is so that I have ONE central place to do everything concerning Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Last edited by rockyseay; 07-30-2014 at 10:39 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What about Facebook Paper? I'm in England and the normal FB app hasn't let you message anyone in a while yet I can chat as much as I want using Paper. As far as I can tell FB haven't mentioned Paper at all so hopefully they won't be messing around with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockyseay View Post
    This is stupid. The point if me using the Facebook app is so that I have ONE central place to do everything concerning Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Totally agree,seriously annoying actually!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Facebook Disables Messaging Within App and Forces Users to Download Messenger...
    This is stupid if that's that case then what's the point of even having a Facebook app to begin with? I means who seriously wants to be jumping around from app to app to do multiple things you use to do in one app and also what's this I hear about Facebook charging people $1 now for sending messages is this true?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeah, this is stupid. They say they're changing because the Messenger app is faster but the regular FB app is fast enough. They just want people to download another one of their apps..

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I won't download another FB app. My friends can leave a comment on my wall or text me. **** you Facebook.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

SpidermanAPV (07-29-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

The annoying download link to messenger was very annoying to begin with. I am ok with just the native pm interface fb provided and do not want to dl another app to do the same thing even if it has extra feature I don't use.

Now that fb will force us to dl the app to continue using PM is just dumb. How can it be fast if the FB app isn't fast to load in the first place? It takes about 40 sec for the whole app to load including my feeds.