Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Launches New Ad Highlighting Cortana and Bashing Siri

Thanks

Default Microsoft Launches New Ad Highlighting Cortana and Bashing Siri

Despite Microsoft laying off 18,000 employees and Apple making big moves left and right, the Redmond Washington-based tech giant is still looking to bash Apple wherever possible. In its most recent effort, Microsoft launched a new commercial titled “Happy Anniversary,” which compares its Cortana virtual assistant to Apple’s Siri. The ad focuses around how Cortana its ability to tie reminders and tasks around people and locations.

The video shows a Nokia Lumia 635 with Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana side-by-side with an iPhone 5S with iOS 7 and Siri. The narrator makes commands related to a wedding anniversary telling both smartphones to remind him to wish his wife a happy anniversary the next time she calls. Cortana responds to the request and schedules a reminder around the call while Siri doesn’t comply. The narrator then continues by asking Cortana to remind him to get flowers when he is near a flower shop, while Siri doesn’t comply once again. Last but not least, Cortana reminds the narrator on its own to leave before traffic delays while Siri just says “Now that is a smart phone.”

Although this isn’t the first time that Microsoft has bashed Apple in an advertisement, this does mark the first time that Microsoft has stacked its new Cortana voice assistant against Siri in a commercial. For those of you who didn’t know, Cortana was originally announced back in April alongside Windows Phone 8.1. The Redmond Washington company has boasted about the virtual assistant’s ability to tie reminders and tasks around people and locations since its public announcement. For what it’s worth, the feature is pretty nifty and can come in seriously handy for many situations such as the one highlighted in the commercial.

Were any of you aware that Cortana could tie reminders and tasks around people and locations? How did you feel about Microsoft’s recently released ad? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: Microsoft (YouTube)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-28-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I mean, Microsoft doesn't have to resort to bashing apple...

But that feature is a pretty good one, I think I'd take Cortana any day rather than Siri.

Really, why didn't apple do this in the first place?!

Personally, MS has made some serious blunders, but these WP's set the bar just a bit above Apple's...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magicpudding For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (07-29-2014), buggsy2 (07-28-2014), TDH Advocate (07-28-2014)

How many ppl actually use Siri or any other voice assistant on a day to day basis anyway..it is and always will be a gimmick

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsjarvis For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (07-28-2014), TDH Advocate (07-28-2014)

Yes, pretty good copy of Siri
    Did microsoft not copy apple to produce windows in the first place.

Ok maybe apple nicked it from xerox

But not sure where I'd use it. If my wife phoned me at work say and I said, oh by the way happy anniversary I'd be dead. I just use siri to say. Remind me when I get home it's my anniversary.

However it would be great to add thus for business so that when my manager calls, remind me to ...
    Last edited by tv_21; 07-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tv_21 View Post
    Did microsoft not copy apple to produce windows in the first place.

Ok maybe apple nicked it from xerox

But not sure where I'd use it. If my wife phoned me at work say and I said, oh by the way happy anniversary I'd be dead. I just use siri to say. Remind me when I get home it's my anniversary.

However it would be great to add thus for business so that when my manager calls, remind me to ...
    Apple actually copied from Windows back in its garage days...

Part from xerox, the traffic alert I think would really benefit people like me who commute often.

Thanks

MS' plan is all about imitation. No new ideas, just copy other ideas and try to make it look better before the competition improves their product.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to odoggy75 For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (07-28-2014)

Pretty much, but in the eye of the consumer, at least mine it is better!

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by odoggy75 View Post
    MS' plan is all about imitation. No new ideas, just copy other ideas and try to make it look better before the competition improves their product.
    What is that phrase...oh, "All good ideas are stolen"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StuG III For This Useful Post:

Magicpudding (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    What is that phrase...oh, "All good ideas are stolen"
    Saves a ton of money when your R&D dept. is just your competitor's product.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsjarvis View Post
    How many ppl actually use Siri or any other voice assistant on a day to day basis anyway..it is and always will be a gimmick
    Maybe we'd use it if it were worth a damn. I use Google Now voice commands because it's easier, but GN isn't integrated into iOS so can't spontaneously remind you about stuff like on android.

However some of these like geo-triggered reminders really suck battery power. Wish Apple would quit obsessing over thinner and start recognizing more battery is more good.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpudding View Post
    Apple actually copied from Windows back in its garage days...

Part from xerox, the traffic alert I think would really benefit people like me who commute often.
    wtf Apple copied from windows?? Windows didn't exist back then.

As for traffic alert Google has had that for some time in their android platforms.

Apple needs to gtf moving.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 07-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I thought MS was taking the high road and not getting into all this direct comparison and cheeky bashing?? I guess that was only when they didn't have anything that was approaching the competition in usefulness. How their attitude changes when they think they've done a good enough job copying.

Also, what is this commercial really saying? "Cortana, helps terrible husbands fake it!" No guy in their right mind would want to buy this phone after seeing this commercial with their wife!!

According to history it did; Bill Gates sent their group a letter to stop taking their programs and to give credit to the developers who have worked hard on them. But that was way back then.....

Remember, this ad is between Apple and Microsoft, don't bring Google arguments here.

Ok maybe apple nicked it from xerox ...
    Nope. They made a deal with Xerox, then when Xerox realized they made a bad deal, they got all pissy about it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I thought MS was taking the high road and not getting into all this direct comparison and cheeky bashing?? I guess that was only when they didn't have anything that was approaching the competition in usefulness. How their attitude changes when they think they've done a good enough job copying.

Also, what is this commercial really saying? "Cortana, helps terrible husbands fake it!" No guy in their right mind would want to buy this phone after seeing this commercial with their wife!!
    It's a joke, get it? Besides helping the man "fake it", it can also be applied to a variety of other situations.

One thing's for certain, I don't think that there is anything that the iPhone has that WP doesn't.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple simply bought Siri what, 3 years ago? and has made very few improvements since then. Don't know about Cortana, but Google's assistant is actually useful and understands a lot more than Siri.

But you're right, the ad is laughable. I'm thinking a single guy dreamed that up, what a joke, if you can't remember your anniversary date, and well ahead of time, you're dead meat. Nothing for you for a long time.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 749 Posts

Xerox opened their R&D dept to Apple and Apple help themselves to the mouse and the GUI OS and improved upon it. MS bought DOS from a nobody programmer and made a butt load on it. MS then approached Apple about helping them out trying to woo over Jobs. Unfortunately Jobs fell for it and MS made Windows, thus screwing over Apple out millions$$$$$.

Either way, no one wants a windows phone. They're not user friendly and look terrible. I have one for work and I barely use it. I forward most of my stuff to my iPhone.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    Either way, no one wants a windows phone. They're not user friendly and look terrible. I have one for work and I barely use it. I forward most of my stuff to my iPhone.
    I beg to differ. Lots of people I know use a WP and seem to like it. Really, iPhones are more for the technologically illiterate. Perhaps WP are not as user-friendly because they provide lots more options customization-wise?

As I said before, what does an IPhone have that a WP doesn't? Especially with the 8.1 updates, this phone ends up being pretty sweet. *o*

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 749 Posts

Default Microsoft Launches New Ad Highlighting Cortana and Bashing Siri
    I beg differ!! Windows8,8.1 sucks!! I have customers that pay for pro so they can downgrade to 7 lmao. I built a nice Hackintosh just so I don't have to use windows 8. Any friends and family of mine that have had to buy new computers? Hates windows 8! I'm still using a slow 2009 model laptop windows 7 so I don't have to use windows 8 on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Last edited by Carvensno; 07-28-2014 at 07:14 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I beg differ!! Windows8,8.1 sucks!! I have customers that pay for pro so they can downgrade to 7 lmao. I built a nice Hackintosh just so I don't have to use windows 8. Any friends and family of mine that have had to buy new computers? Hates windows 8! I'm still using a slow 2009 model laptop windows 7 so I don't have to use windows 8 on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Not to stray from the real topic but...

The dinosaurs that ask for a downgrade are the type of people that react violently to when their Sunday burger isn't from the same name brand as it has been for the past 5 years. Windows 8 is more stable and uses less resources/uses them more efficiently. It is a better OS than Windows 7 in some important respects, people are just so ridiculously stubborn for no reason. Including you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast