Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Users With Unlimited 4G LTE Plans To Be Slowed Down By Verizon Wireless

Thanks

Default Users With Unlimited 4G LTE Plans To Be Slowed Down By Verizon Wireless

Subscribers who have been on Verizon’s unlimited 3G data for years now, know that the mobile company has been trying to throttle those on the 3G network but not those on the 4G LTE network. However, the company announced recently that they would be throttling the top 5% users on the 4G LTE data network who also meet other factors, starting October 1, 2014. A report released by DroidLife recently, noted that more than 20% of users on Verizon’s network still use the unlimited data plan.

‘Network Optimization’ is the term Verizon refers to, as opposed to ‘throttling.' Below is the official list that was released by Verizon:

• Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
    • Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
    • Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
    • Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand
    For those who use 5 or more GB of data monthly, your data will be slowed down by Verizon Wireless. You will feel the difference in speed on the networks and will have to go somewhere with data traffic that’s higher. The company came out with a MORE Everything plan that allows users to share a group family plan along with being a normal tiered data user.

Source: Verizon, DroidLife

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Default Users With Unlimited 4G LTE Plans To Be Slowed Down By Verizon Wireless
    This is BS :/

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

I hope there's a JB tweak to counter the "Network Optimization"

Last edited by Gcruz; 07-26-2014 at 09:32 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcruz For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (07-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Gcruz View Post
    This is BS :/

I hope there's a JB tweak to counter the "Network Optimization"

Verizon is throttling it. How exactly can a jailbreak tweak change what Verizon does on the server side of things?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The tweak is to switch to T-Mobile if you're living in any major metro and don't travel a lot into rural areas. They seem to be the only company in the USA that understands where the industry is going as far as data consumption, it's just a shame they are the #4 guys and don't have the reach yet that Verizon & AT&T do. I'm really looking forward to T-Mobile completing their conversion of EDGE towers to LTE by this time next year, no more EDGE along I-81 in Virginia would be awesome so I can stream my music down the freeway :-)

They can do as they please as long as you abide by the TOC, they should not be allowed to call it unlimited.

Unlimited refers to you can be able to use data without being overcharged. It has nothing to do with how much speed you get

Sprint doesn't throttle that I know of anyway. I've used a lot on there and never been throttled.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Sprint doesn't throttle that I know of anyway. I've used a lot on there and never been throttled.
    Sprint doesn't throttle because their network at full speed is not even usable. You're lucky to get EVDO speeds on their LTE spectrum. But they sure do have a lot of it.

Those familiar with my posts know I've had verizon for quite some time on their unlimited data plan. I've been paying full retail for my phones to keep the unlimited data and I've been using anywhere between 20-40 gigs a month on average without being throttled. If they start throttling me I will be extremely disappointed and seek alternatives.

Ya know, rereading the actual statement from verizon it seems they're only really gonna throttle when the network is congested. I don't think it will be that bad.

Last edited by jackbauerctu; 07-26-2014 at 06:20 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jackbauerctu For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (07-31-2014)

I get between 8-15mb on average with LTE but yes EVDO is horrible

If certain people still get to keep it. Just bring it back for all of us again!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    Sprint doesn't throttle but data especially LTE can be real sketchy at times. I don't think T-Mobile throttles if you have an unlimited plan. I know they throttle you down to EDGE speeds if you don't have a unlimited plan when your data cap has been reached

It will be completely horrible. JUST like ATT did with their "top 5% of data users". The trouble is the 5% adjusts down over time. Say the top 5% use 20Gb this month, well they got throttled, so next month they use 10Gb and so on. They basically are squeezing you into a different data plan because that what ATT did to me. It got to where I was being throttled at ~7Gb (IN HOUSTON) and after throttling my phone was literally only good for basic basic phone calls and texts, not even iMessage. I finally went to tmobile and it was hell at first but they have gotten a bit better from a year ago.

Attempts to dissuade subscribers from using Netflix and other data intensive sites can be circumvented with the use of a VPN. Using such will prevent Verizon from throttling based on website, but the high usage can't be fought, unfortunately.

This issue is total BS because the service has been uninterrupted, but has become inconvenient to their bottom line, since they can't charge the modern prices for old unlimited plans.

Sprint wont throttle theyre already super slow as well as tmobile im on the unlimited Verizon plan and thats fine they slow it down when it congested if iever get sprint speeds i will call and complain for sure i only use around 4 to 10gb per mouth so im not a big data hog we will just have to see.

Sent from my iDevice

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not a Verizon customer but can I point out the elephant in the room here? What does "high traffic" and people with "unlimited plans in the top 5%" have to do with each other? If you are on a tier and pay for 5gigs a month but you use more and get charged, are they going to throttle those as well? No, they are manipulating their customers and trying to make them pay more for less.

This is a big joke and it just keeps getting funnier as they realize where and how they can exploit your usage on their network. Think about it. Most networks are giving you unlimited minutes and texts. The only thing we are "paying" for now is data......

The plans that involve a set amount of data per month will most likely not be throttled because you will pay for whatever you go over. But like I said, as the "top 5%" uses less and less data you get pushed into a different data plan thus netting verizon, ATT, whoever, more money.

I still have my unlimited plan, use about 5 GBs per month and feel like i have been throttled for the past 6 months.
    I call customer service and they only advise to clear my history and restart my device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

From the FAQ:

"Is this the same as throttling?
    No, this is not throttling.

How is this different than throttling?
    The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Once you are no longer connected to a site experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SirZyrion For This Useful Post:

Gcruz (07-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SirZyrion View Post
    From the FAQ:

"Is this the same as throttling?
    No, this is not throttling.

How is this different than throttling?
    The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a cell site experiencing high demand. Once you are no longer connected to a site experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day."
    Sounds like an excuse that'll be used at all times regardless of congestion. Very good tactic indeed.