+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's Popular Augmented Reality Game, Ingress, Makes its way to the iOS App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Google's Popular Augmented Reality Game, Ingress, Makes its way to the iOS App Store

A long favored favorite among the early adopter Android crowd, iOS users can now get in on the augmented reality fun of Ingress, a game in which players battle through the real world to secure virtual portals for their team. The game asks players to choose between the Resistance and the Enlightened, two global teams battling to control the flow of a mysterious energy that has begun to propagate throughout the world. Players are tasked with hacking and capturing portals, sources of the mysterious energy that are often located near public buildings or landmarks.

Ingress is intriguing primarily because of its unique gameplay, which requires players to actually explore the world. To capture a portal at the Statue of Liberty, for instance, a plyer must physically go there with their device; it can’t be done from a couch or chair. Groups of players can also band together to increase their power, capturing portals over a wide area. Some Ingress players have been known to organize outings that resulted in the capture of an area spanning multiple countries and hundreds of thousands of square miles.

Initially released for Android in2 012, a number of unofficial Ingress ports have been available for the iOS platform from the beginning though many required players to jailbreak their iPhone or iPad. In either case, using the unofficial apps often resulted in a ban, limiting their appeal.

Those of you interested in the game can download the 43.7 MB, Ingress version 1.53.0 for free from the App store.

Source: Ingress (App Store)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs down Broken???
    I downloaded the app last night and I have been messing around with it today. All my interactions with portals appear to go away after I resync or come back to the portal, it is as though I have not been there. Not sure if it is me or there is a bug in the app. This looks to have great promise but with my current situation will be a no go.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,655 Times in 695 Posts

Please tell me this game keeps you local? LOL No way in hell I'm going to see Lady Liberty just for a game when I live Cali. Maybe a dumb question, but hey? Only dumb question is the one never asked! lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptPalmer View Post
    I downloaded the app last night and I have been messing around with it today. All my interactions with portals appear to go away after I resync or come back to the portal, it is as though I have not been there. Not sure if it is me or there is a bug in the app. This looks to have great promise but with my current situation will be a no go.
    Jailbreak causing trouble with IOS ingress : Ingress

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CptPalmer View Post
    That appears to be some kind of jailbreak check, a temporary fix would be to install "TSProtector p" (USD 1.39) from Cydia, then go into the Settings Application and find TSProtector P, change 'Alert' to allow (Apple system default is allow), change 'Once Per App' off, put Ingress in the 'not allowed app list', then make sure TSProtector P is turned on and restart your phone

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Please tell me this game keeps you local? LOL No way in hell I'm going to see Lady Liberty just for a game when I live Cali. Maybe a dumb question, but hey? Only dumb question is the one never asked! lol
    Yes the gameplay is based on your location, that is the whole point. Enjoy

Green Apple
    Thanks

So……location faker and HD pic or video of Statue of Liberty wouldn't work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al226 View Post
    So……location faker and HD pic or video of Statue of Liberty wouldn't work?
    Location Fakers would theoretically work, with the risk of getting caught, but what's the point of playing the game then??