+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Allow USB Access to Your iOS 7.1/7.1.1 Filesystem After Jailbreaking With Pangu

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
After you jailbreak with the Pangu iOS 7.1/7.1.1 jailbreak tool , your device's filesystem can be accessed by means of SSH. Some people prefer just connecting their device to their
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default How to Allow USB Access to Your iOS 7.1/7.1.1 Filesystem After Jailbreaking With Pangu

After you jailbreak with the Pangu iOS 7.1/7.1.1 jailbreak tool, your device's filesystem can be accessed by means of SSH. Some people prefer just connecting their device to their computer by means of their USB sync cable and using a third-party application to modify the contents of the device's filesystem, as it's easier and requires no network information to be used, but this requires additional software.

To allow this, you'll want to install a new package from Jay Freeman (saurik) called Apple File Conduit "2," which is a package that will grant you full filesystem access to your device over a USB sync cable connection without the need to use SSH networking. Apple File Conduit "2" is a replacement for the afc2add package and is compatible with all devices running up to iOS 7.1.1.

Without this package, your USB cable connection will be "jailed," meaning that you will only have access to media and applications on the device with third-party applications such as iFunBox or iExplorer. Having this package will grant you access to your entire filesystem, allowing you to edit .plist files, remove remnants from uninstalled jailbreak tweaks, and more.

Apple File Conduit "2" can also be considered a security hole, as saurik explains, because it could allow unwanted USB access to your device' filesystem if you misplace your iOS device and someone else gets ahold of it. Fortunately, Apple File Conduit "2" should be more secure than any other method you may be using now, such as a workaround that was automatically installed with the evasi0n jailbreak for iOS 6, since it requires a trusted USB connection to function properly. This new package is also necessary because older forms of AFC2 packages have become broken after iOS 7.1.

Notably, saurik also states that the package can sometimes be finicky and may not function as expected all the time, but it won't hurt the device, so you should keep that in mind while using it. The package was made open source at this link.

If you want to download Apple File Conduit "2," it's available right now in Cydia's Cydia/Telesphoreo repository right now. It's completely free, and if you need it for what it's intended for, then it's a must-have.

You can check out our video on Apple File Conduit "2" below:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One thing I hate about the Iphone is the way Apple restricts how to copy pictures and songs into and from the Iphone. The Itune crap I hate it with all my heart. This tweak remedies that. It works like a charm !

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

This allows music files copied from and to the iPhone???i doubt it

iPhone? More like MyPhone big_frog's Avatar
    Thanks

the video doesn't show how to used it .... can someone explain how to? i installed the package already in my iPhone 5s but now what?
    i am stuck there... please some help....thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_frog View Post
    the video doesn't show how to used it .... can someone explain how to? i installed the package already in my iPhone 5s but now what?
    You just install the package, and now you'll have access to your file system as if you were SSHing into your device, except you're using a USB cable.

Use a third-party application like iFunBox or iExplorer for Mac OS X or Windows to explore your filesystem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (06-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 916 Posts

It just gives access to the Root filesystem of your device. There isn't any guide explaining 'everything' that can be done after that...

That being said, here's a couple useful directories for beginners:

/private/var/stash/_????(device specific numbers/Themes

Gets you access to themes for Winterboard. You need to click on the random 'device specific numbers' folders to find which one has a 'Themes' folder inside

/private/var/mobile

Considered the 'Home' directory for iFile. Opening the 'Media/DCIM/100Apple' folder will take you to all the pics in your Camera Roll. Opening the 'Applications' folder will show you what apps you have from the App Store.

/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries

If you're phone is crashing after installing a tweak, try to get here and DELETE the .dylib file associated w/ that tweak. Saves you from restoring!

As you can see, there's too many things to go through in the filesystem. It's a lot of looking around and seeing what you have. If you mess with something, it can kill your device so make sure you know what your doing! Transferring files, like photos or music, isn't possible unless you have something to decode Apple's encryption. Otherwise, don't do it!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (06-29-2014), jsuddu0109 (06-29-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This info was very helpful.
    Thank you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. Watched it to the end and figured there would at least be an explanation or guide

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tucnepo View Post
    This allows music files copied from and to the iPhone???i doubt it
    Well of course it does. It basically allows you to put any file, anywhere in the filesystem. Those files can be played back with iFile (most of the time, and this includes music). To add stuff to the Music app, you'd need Bridge.

There are other file manager apps on the App Store that you can drag/drop music files in and out of, if that's what you're looking for. Documents is a good example.

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,196 Times in 3,337 Posts

I still use the stock afc2add with iFunBox and iOS 7.1.1 and it works fine. Why exactly should anyone replace it now ???It's not true that afc2add is broken, at least on my device....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Watched it to the end and figured there would at least be an explanation or guide
    You should look at it as an add on, that gives the third party apps, like iFunBox, iTools or iExplorer, full access to the raw file system, no more and no less. There isn't any tutorial for using it. You should find the tutorial for "how to use those third party apps", to understand the full potential

@Blue, you must be the first one in the world, using old afc2add and still getting full access to raw file system on 7.1.1
    Last edited by bbrks; 06-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I still use the stock afc2add with iFunBox and iOS 7.1.1 and it works fine. Why exactly should anyone replace it now ???It's not true that afc2add is broken, at least on my device....
    Paragraph four explains why. Trust Mr. Saurik.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    afc2add has been broken on 7.1.1 since the first tethered jailbreaks for i4 months ago. Was still broken after this pangu jailbreak on all my devices. Pangu site had a link to a patched version that worked before Saurik put out this version, maybe you had that installed.