Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Audi Confirms Plans with Android, iOS

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 575 Posts

Default Audi Confirms Plans with Android, iOS

High-end auto maker Audi confirmed this week that it's stepping on the gas to accelerate the connected car experience for Audi owners around the world.

Through its role as a "founding member" of the Open Automotive Alliance (OAA), Audi will introducing Android Auto technology with all-new models launched in 2015.

As MMi previously reported, Android Auto debuted this week at the 2014 Google I/O annual technology conference in San Francisco as "the first innovation resulting from OAA, a global alliance launched in January by Google, NVIDIA, Audi and three other automakers to extend the Android platform into cars."

Although Audi is now confirmed to expand the reach of Android Auto next year, the bigger buzz today is resulting from Audi's tentative plans with Apple. Representatives for Audi confirmed Thursday that the company will soon bring both Google Android Auto and Apple CarPlay software platforms into their cars.

"Major functions will be integrated into the Audi Multi Media Interface (MMI) in the future," a provided statement reads, noting that "Integration of CarPlay is also taking place through intensive dialog between the Audi development lab in Silicon Valley and Apple."

Source: Audi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That's the way it should be...have a choice between either.

I think a the car should supply nothing more than a screen and audio amplification. The device (android, iPhone, windows) should supply everything else. This way car makers can remain agnostic of device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    I think a the car should supply nothing more than a screen and audio amplification. The device (android, iPhone, windows) should supply everything else. This way car makers can remain agnostic of device.
    Or cars can keep using systems that they have already spend years and millions developing which was always meant to work for the car :P

Screw this! Even if the maker has both options, you're still tied to oce once you buy the car I'm not married to any auto maker or device and don't want one affecting the other! I plan for my cars to last 10 years. If I want to switch phone platforms within that time I'll be screwed and my car's head unit will be worthless! They need to give up this proprietary crap and adopt device-agnostic connectivity like MirrorLink.