+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Distribution Nears 90% and iOS 7 Adoption is Highest in UK

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default iPhone Distribution Nears 90% and iOS 7 Adoption is Highest in UK

Ad network, Chitika, has released a recent study they conducted and found that iOS 7 device owners in the U.K. are in the lead in adoption of the company’s latest iOS 7. This was compared to iOS 7 device owners in Australia and the North America. Chitika Insights looked at web traffic generated by iOS devices in the U.K and Australia, and found both differences and similarities between the three regions. A previous report that was limited to just North America found that iOS 7 users generated 89.7% of iPhone web traffic on its network and iPads with the latest iOS version generated 84.8%.

During the weeklong period, looking at iPhone distribution, the U.K was the same as North America’s metrics. However, Australia trailed with an 86.2% adoption rate. As for the iPad, U.K. users represented 87%, which was two more than North America. Australia again, trailed behind with only 83.3% distribution rate. Even though the Americas came in second, iPad owners using iOS 5 and iOS 4 and below came in first. As Apple is getting ready to release their new iOS, a wide number of iPhone and iPad users will not be able to upgrade to it and will be forced to purchase either a newer device or stick to an older iOS operating system.

Source: Chitika

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, considering most apps now on the app store only support iOS7 most people are kinda forced to update :P

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StuG III For This Useful Post:

Evaded (06-14-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    Well, considering most apps now on the app store only support iOS7 most people are kinda forced to update :P
    Yup, but I don't know why they wouldn't want to. The resale value for Apple products is amazing. I always sell my older products and they almost always pay for more than half of whatever new product I'm getting.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    Yup, but I don't know why they wouldn't want to. The resale value for Apple products is amazing. I always sell my older products and they almost always pay for more than half of whatever new product I'm getting.

It's crazy because a year old android device like the m7 would go for less then the near 2 year old iPhone 5. But yea the resell value is crazy good. I remember when the galaxy s3 came out it was going for 600 on eBay. Not even a year later they were only bids as high as 320-340.

Sent from my Apple TV.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

In other news, leaded petrol nears 99% distribution which means that unleaded petrol that you can’t really buy was never popular.

What a terrible, terrible, article. Do Apple not VERY quickly after release stop signing and supporting older versions? I couldn’t go back to iOS6 now if I preferred and wanted to.

Thanks

And actually it's tied.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magoo657 For This Useful Post:

uri8472 (06-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StuG III View Post
    It's not just that. These statistics are completely worthless for other reasons as well. Mainly because of the fact that new devices that come with iOS 7 are unable to run anything older. Secondly, people with older devices that had no recourse but to restore are forced to use iOS 7 instead and have no option to use anything prior. Lastly, people who mistakenly updated after the signing window ended.

All these reasons, plus what StuG III said, are why these stats cannot be used to measure the adoption rate. Adoption implies by choice, and when the vast majority (which is primarily made up of new devices) are using it not be their own choice, then calling it that is rather deceitful and I really with MMi would stop this spin.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to znbl For This Useful Post:

uri8472 (06-16-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like to see stats which only include devices that are able to run iOS older than 7. The fact that they include all the newer devices which are incapable of running an OS older than 7 sways it heavily. Then it might actually be a legitimate adoption rate statistic rather than just how-many-are-using-what. As it stands it's horribly misrepresented.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Presumably older devices are ones that just play movies or music in the car and don't use the internet (often at least).