+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Announces Exchange Program for Overheating 5w European USB Power Adapters

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default Apple Announces Exchange Program for Overheating 5w European USB Power Adapters

On Friday, Apple announced a new exchange program for some of its 5w European USB power adapters, which have apparently been prone to an overheating issue that could put the user's safety at risk.

The specific adapter that is affected by this issue came with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone, and iPhone 4s from October 2009 to September 2012 in various European countries (you will have to visit Apple's Web site for the full list):

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Apple has determined that, in rare cases, the Apple 5W European USB power adapter may overheat and pose a safety risk. This adapter came with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S models shipped from October 2009 to September 2012 in the countries listed below. It was also sold as a standalone accessory.

Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to exchange every affected power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter, free of charge. We encourage customers to exchange any affected adapter for a new one as soon as possible using the exchange process below.
    The Cupertino-based tech giant notes that adapters known to be affected by the issue will have "Model A1300" printed on the back, as well as have the "CE" logo printed in solid black, as shown above. A replacement adapter that doesn't have the issue will have "Model 1400" printed on the back, with the CE logo being outlined in solid black but filled in with the background color of the adapter.

If you believe you might have an adapter affected by this issue, you will be able to bring it in to your local Apple Store for a free replacement on the spot. Your iPhone will have to be handy, since Apple needs to check the serial number of the iPhone to make sure that you're eligible for the replacement.

It's always good to see Apple take some responsibility to ease the worry of their customers. Apple offered a similar program in August of 2013 for taking back counterfeit USB power adapters that resembled Apple USB power adapters and could cause unintentional electrocutions.

Sources: Apple

Thanks

If you believe you might have an adapter affected by this issue, you will be able to bring it in to your local Apple Store for a free replacement on the spot. Your iPhone will have to be handy, since Apple needs to check the serial number of the iPhone to make sure that you're eligible for the program.

This is slightly misleading, customers will know if they are eligible by following the criteria off the website not by believing they could be affected by this issue and waste their time coming in. If you meet the criteria then come in, if not stay home. Simple

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It says "also available as a stand alone accessory" so unsure why you need to bring your phone with you. I use my chargers (3pin uk) to charge:

1. iPod nano 6th gen
    2. iPod nano 7th gen
    3. iPhone 5
    4. iPhone 5s
    5. iPad 4
    6. Samsung galaxy s4 mini
    7. Blackberry
    8. Nike fuel band
    9. Sony TV 3d glasses
    10. Bluetooth music speaker
    11. Mobile wifi modem

So while I use my charger to charge my other halves and my iPhones I also use them to charge a myriad of different devices. It's altogether possible people use them to charge other devices and don't have an iPhone anymore!