+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Eight Things iOS 8 Borrowed From the Jailbreak Community

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iOS 8 comes with a lot of shiny new features, but a number of those features have already been present for iOS 7 and older users if they have been
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Eight Things iOS 8 Borrowed From the Jailbreak Community

iOS 8 comes with a lot of shiny new features, but a number of those features have already been present for iOS 7 and older users if they have been jailbroken. In this post, we will show you eight features that Apple included in iOS 8 that Cydia has offered for quite some time.

1. Quick Reply

After a long wait for iOS users, Apple has finally handed us quick reply functionality with iOS 8. The quick reply looks a lot like that of a recently-released jailbreak tweak called auki, which allows you to easily reply to a message you've received from within an application, on the Home Screen, or just about anywhere that isn't the Messages application.

Unlike auki, however, Apple's Quick Reply implementation will work for many third-party applications like Facebook or Twitter.

2. Always-on Siri

Siri is normally invoked by pressing and holding on the Home Button, but in iOS 8 if you're plugged into a power source, you can say "Hey Siri" and Siri will open up and be ready for your query. There has been more than one attempt to make this possible on older versions of iOS – one of the more recent being OkSiri, but Hands-Free Control has been around since iOS 5 (albeit, no iOS 7 support yet).

In this case, the jailbreak tweaks are actually better than Apple's implementation because with the tweaks you can pick your own keywords and even have Siri answer to your voice at any time – whether you're connected to a power source or not.

3. Fast Access to Favorite Contacts

In iOS 8, Apple is bringing your favorite contacts to the App Switcher above the application preview cards. You can then tap on the contacts to bring up a menu allowing you to either message, call, or FaceTime that contact. Not too long ago, a jailbreak tweak called QuickContacts tried to do something similar, although it put the favorite contacts in the SpotLight interface instead of the App Switcher.

I personally prefer Apple's implementation here, because the App Switcher can be accessed from anywhere and SpotLight can only be accessed from the Home Screen, so the App Switcher is a more universally-accessible way to access your favorite contacts.

4. Send and Receive SMS Messages From Your Mac

With iOS 8, a new feature called Continuity is making it so that our iOS devices and Macs all try to work together so that we can start something on one device and finish on another. This includes the ability to send SMS messages and answer/initiate phone calls from a Mac or another iOS device. A handy jailbreak tweak called Remote Messages has allowed us to answer and initiate SMS messages from our Macs for a while now, as long as both devices were connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Apple's way of doing this is definitely better, though. Not only will we be able to answer SMS messages, but we will also have the functionality of answering and initiating phone calls. In addition, this works across both iOS devices AND Macs, unlike the jailbreak tweak, which only works with Macs. Apple's implementation is also more seamless with the notification systems on iOS and Mac, and doesn't require a Web browser.

5. Suggestive Keyboard

When you're typing in iOS 8, you can take advantage a new feature called QuickType, which will suggest words to you as you're typing. This feature works much like Octopus Keyboard did, as the more letters to a word that you type, the more accurate the words that are recommended to you. It is worth mentioning that iOS developer Ryan Petrich uncovered a hidden feature like this in iOS 5 and released a jailbreak tweak called AutocorrectionBar for enabling it.

We would have to say that Apple's implementation of this feature is much cleaner than that of Octopus Keyboard, so we'll have to chalk up another one for Apple.

6. More Editing Options in Photos

The Photos application in iOS 8 is getting a slew of new photograph editing options that blow the pitiful options of iOS 7 out of the water. In fact, if you're using a third-party application to touch up your photographs on iOS, then you might not need it anymore. A jailbreak tweak called Rendarya attempted to do this for us already in iOS 7, adding a large number of photograph editing options to the stock Photos application without the need for third-party applications from the App Store. It was intended to be a one-stop-shop solution.

In this instance, we have to give a shout-out to the developer of Rendarya. Rendarya comes with many more options than Apple's iOS 8 will come with, but we still have to compliment Apple, as they did do a nice job of making the editing features look more native to the application.

7. Panorama Mode On the iPad

In case you've never noticed before, Panorama photo shooting has not been available on the iPad in iOS 7. With iOS 8, Apple is finally bringing this photography feature to the iPad (iPad mini included). A jailbreak tweak called Firebreak was used to enable this feature on unsupported devices, including the iPad, in iOS 5.

We have to thank Apple for finally bringing us this option on the iPad.

8. Custom Widgets in Notification Center

Yes – it's finally here. Apple is now allowing third-party developers to create widgets for their applications that iOS 8 users can use in Notification Center. Under normal circumstances, users would have to download third-party widgets from Cydia to use third-party widgets in Notification Center, such as NCWeather and SevenShare. There are also many more.

We think that Apple opening this door for third-party developers opens up more doors than before, but we still think the jailbreak community could have come up with more useful widgets. On the other hand, we'll have to wait and see for this one!

It's great to see that Apple is listening to us and hearing what we want in our mobile operating system. After all, we use our iOS devices in our daily lives and we want to make it as convenient as possible for us. We definitely have the jailbreak community, as a whole, to thank for iOS being as awesome as it is at this day and age.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-04-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Where is the ability for email attachments? And for the love of Jesus why isn't this important to have in 2014? I just want to use my phone and be able to reply to my emails with attachments other than photos.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    Where is the ability for email attachments? And for the love of Jesus why isn't this important to have in 2014? I just want to use my phone and be able to reply to my emails with attachments other than photos.

Don't be ridiculous, we need more wow and cool factor in an iPhone, email attachments are so 2005

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

Anthony Bouchard, WRONG! Quick Reply works from the lock screen too. Go to about 0:35 minute mark.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Where is the ability for email attachments? And for the love of Jesus why isn't this important to have in 2014? I just want to use my phone and be able to reply to my emails with attachments other than photos

Because stock iOS doesn't allow access to the file system at all. It's the single biggest shortcoming in iOS in my opinion.

Thanks
    Does this mean we can possibly get the 'Kill All Open Apps' functionality in Notification Centre coz closing each one individually is a real pain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theDEVIN View Post
    Because stock iOS doesn't allow access to the file system at all. It's the single biggest shortcoming in iOS in my opinion.
    I don't see why email attachments couldn't be implemented via iCloud Drive in iOS 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu1976 View Post
    Does this mean we can possibly get the 'Kill All Open Apps' functionality in Notification Centre coz closing each one individually is a real pain
    There's really no need to do that on an iPhone 5. The 5s has the same amount of RAM and I can have about a dozen apps open on it. Also, I'm pretty sure killing other apps will never be approved by the App Store.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 06-04-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I don't see why email attachments couldn't be implemented via iCloud Drive in iOS 8.

There's really no need to do that on an iPhone 5. The 5s has the same amount of RAM and I can have about a dozen apps open on it.
    Is the only need to close them performance related then?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

With ifile you can anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stu1976 View Post
    Is the only need to close them performance related then?
    I don't think closing apps will help much with performance unless the system gets frequently starved for memory, which doesn't happen much on an iPhone 5—at least not at this point in the iOS product cycle anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

Stu1976 (06-04-2014)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Borrowed doesn't sound right. Inspired sounds better

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Remote Messages worked on any device that has a web browser, not "just Macs." You probably should edit the OP to stop misleading readers.

I can use it also from Windows, a big plus if I'm not using a Apple device and wanting the comfort of a full size keyboard to send Messages.

Remote Messages will continue to be superior.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quick reply works on the lock screen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wish the would add voicemail forwarding! I switched over to the galaxy for a bit and that phone has the ability to forward voicemails via text or email. Comes in handy in my field of work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default No one is gonna say it?!
    Not sure if I hit the correct "reply" button so I'm not replying to any individual post, just to the article as a whole. "OK, siri"? Are you freaking kidding me? It's not that it's a blatant copy of
    " OK, google" that bothers me. It's the fact that if Apple came out with the code phrase first (ie. OK siri) and the Google came out with "OK google" apple and Apple fan boys would be SCREAMING "copy, copy, copy!!! Why can't they come up with their own ideas", etc. Same thing with this new keyboard. Android has had SwiftKey for years. It does the Exact same thing as this "revolutionary" new keyboard. Just annoying how the copy claims seem to only go in 1 direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pathtologos View Post
    Not sure if I hit the correct "reply" button so I'm not replying to any individual post, just to the article as a whole. "OK, siri"? Are you freaking kidding me? It's not that it's a blatant copy of
    " OK, google" that bothers me. It's the fact that if Apple came out with the code phrase first (ie. OK siri) and the Google came out with "OK google" apple and Apple fan boys would be SCREAMING "copy, copy, copy!!! Why can't they come up with their own ideas", etc. Same thing with this new keyboard. Android has had SwiftKey for years. It does the Exact same thing as this "revolutionary" new keyboard. Just annoying how the copy claims seem to only go in 1 direction.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the activation phrase is "Hey Siri."
    So you can probably stop crying about copying googles, "Okay Google" phrase.

Also the swift keyboard although similar in design yes, is in my opinion more advanced as it is more than just an autocorrect, but predictive phrase recognition based on your typing habits per contact.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to reznor9 For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (06-04-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Doesn't apples keyboard learn your typing habits aswell? This would take it up to the same level as SwiftKey.

Although I'm still convinced SwiftKey is powered by magic.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

It's "Hey Siri" not "Okay Siri"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

NSXrebel (06-04-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just glad that Apple is implementing all these small but useful features, it shows that they're are aware of what their customers want. Even though it may take them awhile to add them...at least they're doing it.