+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Releases Google Maps 3.0 for iOS With Major Improvements to Navigation and More

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Releases Google Maps 3.0 for iOS With Major Improvements to Navigation and More

On Tuesday, Google released an update to the very popular Google Maps application for the iOS platform. The most recent update makes version 3.0 the current release.

The update focuses heavily on new features. One of the most important being that the application's built-in turn-by-turn navigation now gives the user lane guidance, and even gives the user quicker access to seeing the entire overview of the route. While using turn-by-turn navigation, Google Maps will now show you the travel time, the estimated time for arrival, and the distance all in the same place.

Other new improvements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, improvements to transit results, the ability to filter restaurants, bars, and hotels by rating, price, opening hours, and other criteria, and the ability to see recent searches.

Google also notes that the update includes a number of features that users have been requesting including the following:

Access your iPhone or iPad contacts directly from the Google Maps app
    Tap and hold anywhere on the map to drop a pin, save and share that location
    Search without typing using Google Voice Search
    Scale bar to estimate distances on the map

This is definitely no lousy update, so if you're an existing user of the Google Maps application, you'll want to head over to your Updates tab in the App Store and start downloading the update right now. Alternatively, you can download Google Maps 3.0 for free from this App Store link.

Sources: App Store

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anybody know of a way to open google map links in the Google map app, rather than in Google's mobile html page in Safari? Safari will prompt you to open the iOS Google Maps app, but loses the link if you say "Open". This all used to work fine in iOS 5, i.e., before Apple maps came along :-(

Thanks

I really hope Apple gets on board this iOS update and really improved the inbuilt maps app.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    I really hope Apple gets on board this iOS update and really improved the inbuilt maps app.
    Same here. I'm a fan of the apple maps. I like the lock screen feat the best.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Anybody know of a way to open google map links in the Google map app, rather than in Google's mobile html page in Safari? Safari will prompt you to open the iOS Google Maps app, but loses the link if you say "Open". This all used to work fine in iOS 5, i.e., before Apple maps came along :-(
    Is your phone Jailbroken? If so you could try the MapsOpener tweak in Cydia. It's supposed to open addresses in Google Maps instead of Apple's Maps.
    Last edited by The6uest; 05-07-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Google also notes that the update includes a number of features that users have been requesting
    Just how do users request anything from Google? Their support and contact info is zero.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Just how do users request anything from Google? Their support and contact info is zero.
    I'm guessing reviews? Maybe?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I'm guessing reviews? Maybe?
    Yeah, pretty much!