Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'SelfDestruct' Lets You Immediately Close a Frozen iOS Application via Activator

Default 'SelfDestruct' Lets You Immediately Close a Frozen iOS Application via Activator

There are times when your iOS device freezes up on you. Sometimes it's the application itself, and sometimes it's the device itself. In these sticky moments, the best thing to do is press and hold the home and power button for a few seconds until the device shuts off and restarts. This is known as a hard reset.

On the other hand, if you're impatient and don't want to wait for your iOS device to boot up all over again, then you can try this shortcut method. iOS developer Julian Weiss has just released a new free jailbreak tweak called SelfDestruct.

SelfDestruct is designed to work with Activator. In the even that an application freezes up on you and you're unable to close the application, you can use SelfDestruct to ultimately 'force-quit' the frozen application in the foreground. The tweak adds an entry into the Activator preferences pane where you can configure it to the Activator action that you want:

We recommend using a hardware button Activator action, but for this example, we choose double-tapping the Status Bar. Now, when we double-tap on the Status Bar, the foreground application that we're in will appear to "crash," but it was just forced to quit by the tweak. In the event that you're in a sticky situation with a frozen application, SelfDestruct may just save you the time of having to reboot, which is especially an issue with older devices like the iPhone 4 that takes forever to boot back up.

If you would like to give SelfDestruct a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository. Notably, it does review Activator to be installed to be used, but the developer says that the tweak should work on all iOS versions. SelfDestruct is an open source jailbreak tweak, and its source code can be viewed on GitHub here.

Name: SelfDestruct
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-4
    Requirements: Activator
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Julian Weiss
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Im a little lost here.
    When a app freezes on my device Activator doesn't work for me.
    I literally have to hard reset because nothing work except for the Power / Home button combo.

Is this just me???

Thanks

In addition to the above comment, if the phone indeed hasn't frozen and it's just the app, you can simply go into the app switcher and close it regardless. This tweak serves no purpose whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Im a little lost here.
    When a app freezes on my device Activator doesn't work for me.
    I literally have to hard reset because nothing work except for the Power / Home button combo.

Is this just me???

Thanks
    If you Acutally read the article, it says use a hardware button such as volume or home or power buttons..

Quote Originally Posted by Padgoi View Post
    In addition to the above comment, if the phone indeed hasn't frozen and it's just the app, you can simply go into the app switcher and close it regardless. This tweak serves no purpose whatsoever.
    Clearly you haven't been in a situation where your phone freezes. There's no way to open the switcher when it freezes, your most likely referring to an app not responding (think of it in windows terms)

Back on topic: I'm able to reproduce my phone freezing and I can say this tweak works like a charm!!

This will do nicely. Currently have an activator hardware button action to respiring.