Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bug in iOS 7 Allows Users to Bypass Activation Lock and Disable Find My iPhone

Thanks

Default Bug in iOS 7 Allows Users to Bypass Activation Lock and Disable Find My iPhone

Originally starting with the release of iOS 7, deleting an iCloud account or restoring a device requires the Find My iPhone feature to be disabled. In turn, Find My iPhone requires the user to enter the password for the Apple ID attached to the iCloud account – a system which is put into place to ensure that phone thieves can’t remove the account and avoid being tracked through the Find My iPhone website. Unfortunately, there appears to be an easy way to bypass this requirement as demonstrated in the video below:

To do so, you’ll first need to tap both “Delete Account” and the switch to disable Find My iPhone at the same time in the iCloud Settings panel. This ironically appears to be the most difficult step in the process. When prompted for a password, hold down the power button and shut down the phone. Upon restarting your phone, you’ll be able to go into the iCloud settings panel and remove the account without being prompted for our password. After this, you’ll be able to plug the iPhone into iTunes and restore it with ease. Aside from this the feature won’t kick in after the phone is restored as Activation Lock requires Find My iPhone to be enabled.

Overall, someone who may end up with your phone has the means to bypass every possible method you had at your disposal to locate it. The only good news here is that you can ensure more safety if you put a passcode on your phone with a short timer, preventing anyone from getting into the iCloud settings at all. Hopefully this method is improved by Apple in a future update and the iOS platform becomes more secure.

Source: Miguel Alvarado (YouTube) via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Can't you just do a DFU restore anyway? It seems even easier than this method.

DFU restore does not work. You will still be asked for your iCloud password when the phone restores.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Can't you just do a DFU restore anyway? It seems even easier than this method.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killakill For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014), Zokunei (04-03-2014)

This wont work on the 4s or higher tho..

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Just have the pssscode set to wipe the phone after a few wrong entries. This way it saves your data from being accessed as well as preventing restore without your iCloud password. I'd rather leave a thief with a worthless paperweight.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VITICO171 View Post
    This wont work on the 4s or higher tho..
    Not true, you have a ten second window after the device reboots to delete the account and then find my iphone will turn back on. Besides the demo video was on a 4S.

This doesn't work on any iPads.
    Apple needs to release an update, and fast. I know thieves are drooling over bugs like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaboi21 For This Useful Post:

Cmds187 (04-03-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Another bypass lock bug...sure they only seemed to have fixed daylight savings time this year, can't expect them to fix these for a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Another bypass lock bug...sure they only seemed to have fixed daylight savings time this year, can't expect them to fix these for a while.
    This doesn't bypass the lockscreen

11. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014)

I ******* hate theives!

There is no 10 second window. It does not work on phones other than the iPhone 4 or 4s. I tried it with the iPhone 5 and 5s and it does not work. As soon as my phone is turned on the find my iPhone is still on.

Why the h*** would you guys post a tutorial here? Just wondering?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

Cmds187 (04-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by magoo657 View Post
    I ******* hate theives!
    And they love apple now. apple releases too many updates without actually completing them. Security should be a key concern and checked and double checked before updates are released.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Why the h*** would you guys post a tutorial here? Just wondering?
    To inform legitimate owners of this flaw. Information is power. This way people will actively look for new apps that
    can protect their iphone/ipad. Hopefully some devs will step up to the problem and provide a solution.
    "Don't be an ostrich with your head in the ground!"

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    To inform legitimate owners of this flaw. Information is power. This way people will actively look for new apps that
    can protect their iphone/ipad. Hopefully some devs will step up to the problem and provide a solution.
    Oh my god... talk about head in the 'ground' / sand ! Surely you are aware, that not everybody takes an interest in the tech side of their device nor reads bogs, reports or articles, be they on ModMyi, the internet in general or the media. They just 'use' their devices!!! Yes, information is power - now the thieves have it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    You can inform people about a problem without posting a tutorial.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014), Sage I (04-04-2014), slim.jim (04-03-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    You can inform people about a problem without posting a tutorial.
    Correct which is the proper way it should have been handled and reported directly to Apple. People get paid big bucks for finding bugs like this and following the proper channels to report it.

Another bug. Another update.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalel7490 View Post
    There is no 10 second window. It does not work on phones other than the iPhone 4 or 4s. I tried it with the iPhone 5 and 5s and it does not work. As soon as my phone is turned on the find my iPhone is still on.
    You must have did it wrong then, I have a ten second window each time.

What I want to see is if he can reply this with a password protected phone?

why would you want to keep your icloud activation locked iphone available to be compromised- ERASE IT THEN DELETE IT- so what if someone took advantage of your negligence!!! YOU DESERVE IT
    BTW- I found a iphone and returned it to the proper source so the owner stood a better chance of finding it - DISNEY FIND
    the other thing people should know- is eBay is full of icloud locked iphones- YO!!! wake up, they're worthless folks- quit wasting resources- and why would you spend a $100 less or a even a $200-300 for a used iphone you have no clue about- let alone a warranty

PEOPLE MAKE NO SENSE TO BUY USED ONES- I have two to sell by the way- if you're interested!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast