+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Vindicated, Amazon Vilified by New Greenpeace Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In a detailed new report titled "Clicking Clean: How Companies are Creating the Green Internet," Greenpeace tosses a surprising degree of praise in Apple's direction, while barbing Amazon for its
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Vindicated, Amazon Vilified by New Greenpeace Report

In a detailed new report titled "Clicking Clean: How Companies are Creating the Green Internet," Greenpeace tosses a surprising degree of praise in Apple's direction, while barbing Amazon for its failure to go green in a meaningful way.

According to Greenpeace, Apple's data centers are now the most environmentally friendly in all of technology. Receiving the highest marks possible for its commitment to renewable energy, "Apple's aggressive pursuit of its commitment to power the iCloud with 100% renewable energy has given the company the inside track among the IT sector's leaders in building a green Internet," Greenpeace says.

"Apple has made good on its pledge by building the largest privately owned solar farms at its North Carolina data center, working with its utility in Nevada to power its upcoming data center there with solar and geothermal energy, and purchasing wind energy for its Oregon and California data centers," the report reads.

Amazon, on the other hand, is flagged as being one of the biggest environmental offenders in this space. A big backer of so-called "dirty energy," Greenpeace says Apple is a company that Amazon should learn from.

Amazon Web Services (AWS) "continues to rapidly expand its global infrastructure without any apparent regard to environmental impact or access to renewable energy," Greenpeace said in its report.

Source: CNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Though they don't get the most comments or views (which is a shame), I've gotta say, I do like your posts the most, Michael Essany. They're typically about things like this: things that matter—policy (private and public), earnings reports, markets, etc.

Just a nod of gratitude.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christophxr For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014), SpidermanAPV (04-02-2014)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Though they don't get the most comments or views (which is a shame), I've gotta say, I do like your posts the most, Michael Essany. They're typically about things like this: things that matter—policy (private and public), earnings reports, markets, etc.

Just a nod of gratitude.
    But renewable energy isn't really clean either. There is still the energy that it takes to make the solar panels, ship the solar panels, install the solar panels, maintain the solar panels, etc. Similar hods true for any "green" technology.

I am not saying it is not good, I am simply saying that we need to watch out for the trap that renewable energy is the only worth exploring.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What about the energy emitted out from the datacenters?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post

Just a nod of gratitude.
    Greenpeace is a sham; an organization which truly doesn't matter. They praise Apple because they like Apple, just like Epeat recertifying Apple's products as "gold" despite not being upgradable or repairable.

There was a time when they said Nintendo was the "worst" of all console makers just because their doors didn't swing wide for their stupid little organization. They gave them a "score", of 0 on everything just because they didn't know, for example, if Nintendo was using RoHS lead/Pb-free solder. News flash: the reason millions of XBOX 360 consoles with the RRoD, PlayStation 3 consoles with the YLoD, and laptops with bad GPUs are in landfills in the first place are because they used lead-free solder! People don't throw away classic consoles that work and they are no threat to the water table when they are in some man cave, attic, or storage. They concern was never that some unsuspecting 3 year old would take it apart and lick the PCB. As it turns out, Nintendo DID use lead-free solder long before even being legally required to or else it would have required the disclaimer label on the package to be sold in California.

I bumped into those clueless morons at the entrances to every grocery store when I lived in San Diego (their headquarters) and shamed every one of them within moments of starting a conversation. They want to talk about saving the endangered whales by stopping Japanese fisherman and I tell them about sustainable whaling and how the " scientific research" clause was put in the specifically for them and their practices because they never hunted any whale species to near extinction and don't deserve to be harmed by international law aimed at those who have. Then I chastise them for ever pretending that the Japanese were hunting endangered whales to begin with.

My point is: Greenpeace doesn't "matter."
    Last edited by CZroe; 04-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,721 Times in 4,404 Posts

Agreed. GreenPeace is a bunch of irrelevant middle aged hippies who still wish it was the Woodstock era. And along with their brainwashed Millennial kids they're blowing smoke about nothing. Sad that enough of them are influencing the far our lefties in Washington to spend even more of our grandchildren's future.. Money we don't have..

And no I'm not far-rightey.. I'm pretty moderate.. and independent - but I'm just so tired of the bill of goods we're being sold by the far-lefty organizations like Green Peace..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!