Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Unveils 'Cortana' Personal Assistant

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Microsoft Unveils 'Cortana' Personal Assistant

With voice-command based virtual assistants like Siri now an expected attribute of the modern smartphone experience, it comes as little surprise that Microsoft wants to play catch up and launch a Siri rival of its own.

As MMi first reported in January, Microsoft has been working hard on a virtual assistant. And on Wednesday, the world first witnessed the fruits of Microsoft's labor. Microsoft today showed off Windows Phone 8.1 and a number of new features for Windows Phone, with Cortana being chief among them.

Named after a character from the Halo video game, Cortana is powered by Microsoft's Bing search engine. Users can count on Cortana to make phone calls, send texts, dictate notes or provide reminders.

"Cortana gets to know you and gets better over time by asking questions based on your behavior and checking in with you before she assumes you’re interested in something," Microsoft says. "She detects and monitors the stuff you care about, looks out for you throughout the day, and helps filter out the noise so you can focus on what matters to you."

Cortana will launch shortly in the U.S. as a beta, in the U.K. and China in the second half of 2014, and in other countries in 2015.

According to Microsoft, registered developers can update their phones to Windows Phone 8.1 as part of the developer program later this month.

To check out Windows Phone 8.1 for yourself, click here.

Source: Microsoft

Thanks

Late to the party are we? A three syllable assistant? By the time im done saying the name, I could have found whatever I needed.

Google Now and Siri have been out for ages, this will never succeed.

Livin the iPhone Life SpidermanAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it look like Cortona? No? Sorry, I'm out. :P

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Late to the party are we? A three syllable assistant? By the time im done saying the name, I could have found whatever I needed.
    Hmm, I wonder if Microsoft has plans to integrate this into the kinect on Xbox One. Makes perfect sense to me, and the fact that it's named after a Halo character makes me think it's definitely a possibility. I feel like this is the one thing the new kinect lacks...a voice/personality. It also would be in line with Microsofts plan to integrate all of its products into one. Would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if Microsoft has plans to integrate this into the kinect on Xbox One. Makes perfect sense to me, and the fact that it's named after a Halo character makes me think it's definitely a possibility. I feel like this is the one thing the new kinect lacks...a voice/personality. It also would be in line with Microsofts plan to integrate all of its products into one. Would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by magoo657 View Post
    Google Now and Siri have been out for ages, this will never succeed.
    Three years is hardly "ages" and just because it's coming out does not mean it will not succeed. Curious on why you think it not succeed.

They've been playing Halo too much, which is why they've only just thought about making it
    Last edited by dsg; 04-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

It's so unlike Microsoft to be late to the party!! Lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scroogelives For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014)

Cortana... would expect nothing more from Microsoft. how original. Wait, does she still sport those tight yoga pants? She's hotter then Siri for sure!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to interstink For This Useful Post:

SpidermanAPV (04-02-2014)

Microsoft are easily number one in the industry at picking the most pathetic names for the old technology that they copy from others. Remember the Zune that "squirted"? ;-)

Cortana? Wahahahahahaha!

Terrible name and bling sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfeind View Post
    Three years is hardly "ages" and just because it's coming out does not mean it will not succeed. Curious on why you think it not succeed.
    Well 1. A massive chunk of devices are either Android or iOS..... So obviously Siri and Google Now are going to run Cortana out of the park!
    2. Microsoft clearly is terrible (My opinion)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Curious on why you think it not succeed.
    Because it's made by Microsoft.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

novadam (04-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Because it's made by Microsoft.
    Exactly!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Saved0ne's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, 3 years is sort of "ages" since technology advances light years so rapidly. No, it's not a life time, but Microsoft now jumping on the bandwagon... pretty late to the party.

If it looks or sounds like Cortana, then she's worth trying out... I'm sure someone will port over Cortana's voice to iPhone sometime too :P hehe

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saved0ne For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (04-03-2014), dsg (04-03-2014), SpidermanAPV (04-03-2014)

Cause he's a blinded Apple tard that's why.