+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Freemium Still Rules for iOS, Android App Developers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
App Annie and IDC are out with a new report titled "Mobile Advertising and Monetization Spotlight 2012-2017: The Economics of Free." And, according to the data presented, the freemium model
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Freemium Still Rules for iOS, Android App Developers

App Annie and IDC are out with a new report titled "Mobile Advertising and Monetization Spotlight 2012-2017: The Economics of Free." And, according to the data presented, the freemium model persists as the best way for developers to earn a decent payday (via in-app ads).

As the app market matures, the report authors explain, app publishers continue to look for the monetization models that will work best for them. However, there is no "one size fits all" strategy, and so it's critical for developers to think about which markets they plan to enter before deciding on how to generate revenues.

We are already aware that freemium is the best way to monetize an app today, but the report shows in-app advertising outpacing both mobile and PC browser-based ads in revenue growth, making it the next important growth model, but not in every market.
    "Unsurprisingly, the United States and Japan lead the way in mobile app monetization, with revenue growth occurring across several countries," said Karsten Weide, Program Vice President of Digital Media and Entertainment at IDC.

"However," Weide adds, "most device growth will come from emerging markets moving forward, which significantly influences the app monetization profile in aggregate. India is a prime example with 8.7x revenue growth from 2013 to 2017, which appears to be largely driven by rapid smartphone adoption."

The full report can be accessed now from the App Annie website. To check it out, click here.

Source: App Annie

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I. Hate. Freemium. No game should be able to charge $99 for coins or gold or whatever. AAA top tier games cost only $60 yet can take years to develop. This whole freemium frenzy is a scam, praying on the stupidity of consumers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Freemium is the worst thing to come out of the appstore besides those bloody eyesore of ads. I would like to buy a game for $5 or whatever. I rather not waste time screwing with ad.plists to remove the mess they're making!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I like freemium, Since apple AppStore can't let you demo a game.