+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Virgin Lowers Price of No-Contract iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
How low can you go? That's the question Virgin Mobile is posing across the wireless industry today as the Sprint-owned company rolls out what are probably the best deals you're
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Virgin Lowers Price of No-Contract iPhones

How low can you go? That's the question Virgin Mobile is posing across the wireless industry today as the Sprint-owned company rolls out what are probably the best deals you're going to find on no-contract iPhones (iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c).

For the time being, Virgin Mobile is selling the 16GB iPhone 5s, for example, for just $385. A 32GB model will run you $455. The 64GB variety is $525.

The iPhone 5c is also discounted, the carrier confirms, starting with the 16GB model ($315). The 32GB iPhone 5c goes for $385.

So, if you're thinking to yourself that there must be some kind of clever marketing or business angle in place here, you would be correct. These low prices are, indeed, legit. However, the iPhones are locked to Virgin Mobile. So if you're good with carrier, you're probably happy with the deal offered.

Virgin Mobile's unlimited data plans begin at $30 per month.

Source: Virgin Mobile (via 9to5Mac)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Virgin Mobile's iPhone is not really contract free.
    1. The phone is locked to Virgin Mobile, so you will still have to buy a separate phone when you go abroad on vacation.
    2. Virgin Mobile will never unlock the phone, so you are in fact fully tied up with Virgin Mobile.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
    1. The phone is locked to Virgin Mobile, so you will still have to buy a separate phone when you go abroad on vacation.
    2. Virgin Mobile will never unlock the phone, so you are in fact fully tied up with Virgin Mobile.
    Still worth it in my opinion. You'd spend about $1600+ for one phone (monthly bill + initial phone cost) with the major carriers for a 5s compared to about $1200 or less for the same phone on a "2 yr contract". And that would be unlimited data on Virgin Mobile which is hardly ever offered from carriers anymore. It can be a hassle to switch over, but still a great deal.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It is contract free. It just isn't unlocked. If you decide you don't want to pay for service after 2 months, you can stop paying.

It's so cheap because it's locked.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It isn't possible to unlock yourself?

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the true definition of Jaillocked!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait guys, are the gsm sides of these phones unlocked? Can i put in my AIO sim???

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

AND when you want to sell the phone, it is worth next to nothing because it is locked.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What do sprint customers have to say?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    AND when you want to sell the phone, it is worth next to nothing because it is locked.....
    You're already getting an insanely good deal on it, and it's the only option for an iPhone on Virgin Mobile anyway. You can't take an unlocked iPhone to Virgin Mobile.