+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: An "iPhone 6" with a Larger Screen is Predicted to Drive Massive Upgrades

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default An "iPhone 6" with a Larger Screen is Predicted to Drive Massive Upgrades

If Apple launched a redesigned iPhone with a larger screen (of around 5 inches), it would become the “mother lode of all upgrade cycles” for the company and help reaccelerate year over year growth according to analyst Brian Marshall of ISI Group. Marshall believes many current iPhone owners experience “large-screen envy” driven by competing Android devices with bigger displays.

Marshall estimates that the current iPhone installed base is roughly 260 million users, which is equivalent to the last seven quarters of iPhone sales. He also estimates that slightly more than half of iPhone sales today go to upgraders. In his estimates, about 9% of total existing iPhone users upgrade to a newer model in the average quarter. He believes this number has actually dropped as the iPhone market has grown, having hit around 11% in 2011 and 2012.

In peak quarters, Marshall believes as many as 14% of existing iPhone owners opt to upgrade to a newer handset. With that being said, a similar upgrade for Apple’s so-called “iPhone 6” is expected in the second half of 2014, if not a higher percentage. Specifically, Marshal believes Apple could release two new iPhone models to better serve the existing smartphone market. He sees the company launching one handset with a 4.7-inch display and another with a larger-sized 5.5-inch screen. With what he believes is “pent-up demand” for a larger iPhone, Marshall predicts that the new models could drive $3.00 in additional earnings per share.

As of right now, ISI Group rates AAPL stock as a “strong buy” with a price target of $600. Marshall said that while new product introductions, such as the recently announced CarPlay or a rumored “iWatch,” generate buzz, the iPhone remains Apple’s most important product, representing 60% of its gross profits.

Marshall is one of many investors who widely expect Apple to introduce a larger iPhone later this year. Just last week, Andy Hargreaves of Pacific Crest predicted that Apple’s next handset will feature a 4.7-inch display and a $299 starting price tag. Currently, Apple’s iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C come with screen sizes of 4-inches. If Apple were to increase the display size on its next-generation handset, sometimes referred to as an “iPhone 6,” it would be the second time that the company has done so, originally starting with a 4.5-inch display on the first-gen iPhone through the iPhone 4S.

Although some reports claim Apple has experimented with iPhone screen sizes approaching 6 inches diagonally and Marshall believes Apple will launch a handset in the 5.5-inch range, proven insider Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes Apple won’t exceed 5-inches on a larger iPhone display, citing the company’s commitment to an “unwavering principle of one hand use.” He expects the next iPhone to have a screen size larger than 4.5 inches but smaller than 5 inches.

Are you one of the people who have large-screen envy? Or do you like the current size-shape of the iPhone?

Source: ISI Group via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Envy!!
    Make it bigger.....

Thanks

They won't make devs keep changing their app to do this. Even some are still on 3.5inch screens. To make it work they need to stretch it from the corner, such as in PowerPoint, extend from corner, then use hd apps and stretch. But it would still stink

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiipro View Post
    They won't make devs keep changing their app to do this. Even some are still on 3.5inch screens. To make it work they need to stretch it from the corner, such as in PowerPoint, extend from corner, then use hd apps and stretch. But it would still stink
    If they keep the 16:9 aspect then there won't be scaling issues. It would be the same as watching something on a 40" 1080p tv or a 60" 1080p tv. Unlike the aspect ratio change from the 3.5" to the 4" screens.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can't understand why ppl want such a big screen,5.5" is just ridiculous,nothing wrong with 4" screen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dsjarvis For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (03-17-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

I'll take a 4.7" or a 5". That'll be my limit. I'm not lebron where I could use a note 3 as a pocket phone

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's see how this plays out.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would give up my iphone 4 if they came up with something different??
    Nah....
    But ios has almost been standing stil since ios 5.0
    So i doubt i will give my iphone 4 up for the same crap because of a bigger screen

Thanks

Unwavering commitment to one hand use..yes its a phone not a tablet. Starting at $100 more it better be good haha! I'm one of the fans of the current screen. I have an iPad for larger surface when needed. Guess its natural progression..i suppose. Bigger is not always better or is it? :]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (03-17-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

nah, I'm good with the size of the 5s

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

I am happy with my i5 and will wait for 6s.

Thanks

100 bucks extra. Along with screen size wonder what else will come with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,474 Posts

I would never buy a 5" phone. Far too large and inconvenient. That only 2" smaller than my tablets here. Hoping apple never goes big. In history phones got smaller to fit better now their goig back to huge phones for that buy a tablet or netbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DA_GHOST For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (03-17-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fotsvett View Post
    Nah....
    So i doubt i will give my iphone 4 up for the same crap because of a bigger screen
    I used to believe what you are saying now...until I purchased an iphone 5.
    (I used to own an iphone 4.)
    Many things have changed for the better in IOS. The look with the Icons has not.

Just because the physical size of the device hasn't changed much, and you believe
    that is going to be the only difference between the new iphone and your iphone 4,
    doesn't mean that the speed and functionality hasn't changed.
    The iphone 5 is drastically better in performing anything the iphone 4 can do.
    Consider selling your iphone 4 on ebay when the iphone 6 comes out, and then
    replace it with an iphone 5, at a reduced price.

If the Iphone 6 is larger than 5 inches, I won't buy it.

If IOS doesn't appeal to you, I suggest you switch to something running android.

Green Apple
    Thanks

5 screen is really already big enough

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fotsvett View Post
    Nah....
    Exactly. Noobs are so caught up in the bigger screen that it will be apples main and only selling point in the new iPhone. A bigger phone that does exactly the same thing as the previous phone. And they will market it as some huge innovative revolution done to perfection when really it's just a bigger screen.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 732 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    Exactly. Noobs are so caught up in the bigger screen that it will be apples main and only selling point in the new iPhone. A bigger phone that does exactly the same thing as the previous phone. And they will market it as some huge innovative revolution done to perfection when really it's just a bigger screen.
    You realize it's all marketing right? They know it's the same thing. Samsung has played the countless air gesture features and same size and same look. Look at them now. Run out of ideas. Apple takes their time. So atleast they will always have something to add. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    You realize it's all marketing right? They know it's the same thing. Samsung has played the countless air gesture features and same size and same look. Look at them now. Run out of ideas. Apple takes their time. So atleast they will always have something to add. Just my 2 cents.
    Very very smart marketing. Mass people still bought the 4-4s. Still tons of people standing In line days before the phone comes out. They must be doing something right.

Thanks

Bring it on. Been sick of this tiny iPhone screen since forever now. I don't want huge, Just a bit bigger. I could care less about one handed use as long as it still fits in my pocket.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

With so many of us out of the subsidized upgrade phone market ( that Apple killed by people wanting to upgrade in 12 months instead of 24) I wonder if people will really spend 500 to 600 for a phone? I wouldn't