+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nintendo Producer Speaks Out on Why They Won't Bring Franchise Games to iOS and Android

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Nintendo Producer Speaks Out on Why They Won't Bring Franchise Games to iOS and Android

There is nothing new when it comes to Nintendo’s unwillingness to release its successful franchises of Zelda and Mario on Apple iPhones and Android devices. However, veteran producer of the company, Kensuke Tababe, has released a statement as to why Nintendo is so stubborn in regards to this matter.

Through a translator, Tanabe states during a recent interview that:

with games like Mario and Donkey Kong, the control input is such an important part of that; I think if you're trying to replicate that feeling of control that you have traditional to those games, translating those to a smart device, that's a just a really, really difficult task. Of course I'm not ignoring the fact that the marketplace is flooded with these devices and that there are a lot of games created specifically for them. Personally, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have a curiosity of or feeling of needing to create or wanting to create games for those devices. I want Nintendo games to be played on Nintendo hardware.
    Many feel that Nintendo’s stubbornness to keep its successful franchises off tablets and smartphones is foolish and claim that they are losing out on easy money. However, Nintendo does not feel that way as President Satoru Iwata feels it is not worth risking its longstanding policy of offering their major franchises exclusively to Nintendo devices only. And according to Donkey Kong and Metroid developer Retro Studies CEO, Michael Kelbaugh, thinking about platforms is not as important as making great games.

We make games, and more importantly, we make Nintendo games. That's where our emphasis is and that's what we want to do. Hardware to us is kind of secondary. We put everything we have into making great games and we'll make those on whatever hardware Nintendo supports.
    Kelbaugh stated that he hasn’t really thought about the issue of whether or not Nintendo should create Android and iOS platform games. He also stated that his main job is to create compelling content for gamers and all business related decisions are for Nintendo to make:

What we're focused on is just making a great game. Wherever it ends up, that's not our decision, so I think we need to concentrate on making great content and let Nintendo decide what box they want to put it in, how they want to package it. Watching this whole debate going on right now...I don't give it a whole lot of thought just because I'm concentrating on making a fun, great game and hardware's always kind of a revolving target I guess.
    Source: GameSpot

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Guess I'll just have to stick to my emulator on my iPad connected to my WiiMote.

Thanks

Emulators work well enough, but I would spend money for a legit copy of Mario Kart on iOS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paulsquaredson For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (03-06-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Watch as Nintendo continues their steady decline into bankruptcy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nudge2232 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (03-06-2014), ttiger (03-06-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree with these statements. I was really excited when I first loaded up GBA4iOS and Mario Advance 4, but I quickly found those games nearly unplayable with touchscreen controls (amazing as the app itself is), and overall I find iOS gaming far inferior to 3DS gaming. But on the other hand, Nintendo is digging themselves into a hole by basically refusing to accept that the gaming landscape and audience has changed drastically from 1990. They were too successful the last generation to go bankrupt anytime soon, but if the Wii U's sales are anything to go by, something needs to change, and that's more than endless pandering to nostalgic fans, which is more or less their strategy right now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It really doesn't make much sense when some of their hardware is less capable (CPU, etc) than the tablets and smartphones out there now and they still have touchscreen/button combo interfaces (3/2DS is a prime example of this).
    Even the WiiU has touch interfaces that could work just fine with a touchscreen tablet of smartphone, and use a WiiMote for tactile use as needed.
    Also, many tablets and smartphones are supporting controllers. iOS7 has it's own semi-proprietary controller support (which we can tweak through jailbreaking), but also Android supports USB controllers (if the Android device supports USB Host/OTG) and several other wireless devices. Even PS4 controllers work on several devices without effort.

Sounds like they just want what Apple and other platforms have: a walled garden to siphon money from. The problem is they aren't making newer products people want and they will eventually go the way of Atari and Sega (software rather than hardware companies).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

He sums it up right there... "I want Nintendo games to be played on Nintendo hardware."

Nintendo could sell their games on tablet marketplaces but that would cannibalise the sales of their DS handhelds which, I'd imagine produce more profit than their Wii consoles. The debate for Nintendo is - would they make more profit from selling Nintendo games for tablets at the cost of greatly reducing DS sales? Personally, I think that within the next few years they will simply because tablets are becoming much cheaper and are rivalling PSP's and DS's as handheld gaming platforms. Nintendo can't afford to increase the cost of the DS in a market where rivals are becoming cheaper. Additionally, by selling games in tablet markets, they can cut back on hardware production costs. It seems like a logical, almost inevitable move.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dodge wouldn't modify the Viper V10 so it can run in a Corvette, why would Nintendo do the same?

Microsoft isn't going to modify their games or game consoles to be compatible with any other company. They would lose out on money.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Nintendo is dying in at least America but it appears as though they don't care about that at all. But whatever floats their boats I guess.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fhadso View Post
    Dodge wouldn't modify the Viper V10 so it can run in a Corvette, why would Nintendo do the same?

Microsoft isn't going to modify their games or game consoles to be compatible with any other company. They would lose out on money.
    Microsoft doesn't make any games that are worth porting over to another operating system. The company's that do make games for their devices usually have rights to make games for other consoles, with the exception of a few games which are exclusive to xbox. I could see a few older games being created for mobile. A lot of people would buy NES games for mobile devices. But keep the new games exclusive to Nintendo for a few years. But they should take a play out of EA's book. Didn't they say that mobile is their most successful market these days?
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 03-06-2014 at 07:04 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

thank god for emulators lol so we can still play those games on non nintendo devices

Thanks
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nudge2232 View Post
    Watch as Nintendo continues their steady decline into bankruptcy.
    +1

Go ahead, Nintendo, stay inside your bubble while the world moves forward. This might be one of the stupidest execs I've heard of! "We make games....that nobody can play," is how he should've ended that statement!

Fantastic Philosophy...😕

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (03-06-2014)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's ok Nintendo..... I will continue to play Lep's World! Just like Super Mario

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

I'll stick with my emulators. I have a ton of free Nintendo software. Keep your games..as I already play them on my phone. They are just as fun and work just fine.

Thanks

"I want Nintendo games to be played on Nintendo hardware."

How about I want Apple OS to be ran on Apple hardware... sure sounds familiar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I'll stick with my emulators. I have a ton of free Nintendo software. Keep your games..as I already play them on my phone. They are just as fun and work just fine.
    That's impossible!!! You can't have fun cuz you're not using a Nintendo controller.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Why do people get mad at Nintendo for this. This business to do whatever they want. I understand some may want legit official games on their devices but no reason to make insults just because you don't get them. Some people are just willing to lose money to stand by their principles. Not my money so it's whatever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwinSouls View Post
    Why do people get mad at Nintendo for this. This business to do whatever they want. I understand some may want legit official games on their devices but no reason to make insults just because you don't get them. Some people are just willing to lose money to stand by their principles. Not my money so it's whatever.
    I, for one, am not mad at them....I just think they're utterly stupid! There's a reason they're losing money and it makes no sense why they're limiting themselves.

The 'principles' you refer to are not based on anything moral...it's based on ideology. In technology, to prevent yourself from moving forward because you are attempting to hold on to the past is not innovative...it's ignorance.

Thanks

Simple solution Nintendo, MAKE A PHONE!
    or partner with those sicko's at Oppo (with their crazy hi spec phones). Sayin...

Green Apple
    Thanks

#respect Nintendo