Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Releases Internet Speed Test App for iOS

Default FCC Releases Internet Speed Test App for iOS

On Tuesday, the FCC launched a mobile Internet speed test application for iOS that allows the user to measure their download speed, upload speed, latency, packet loss, and more.

The application is free, and is ad-free. The application won't take any personal information from you, but it will take your data speed results to help build a data speed map of the United States. The idea here being to help create a more competitive market for service providers that need help understanding where their services are strong and where they're weak.

The application has a totally different look and feed from the popular Speedtest.net application for iOS, but it ultimately does the same thing. It can be used to measure both Wi-Fi and cellular network speeds.

If you want to download and try the application, you can grab it for free from this App Store link.

Sources: App Store via FCC

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

No thanks. They are just going to sell the info anyways. Did you see the terms?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

ThatOneProfile (02-26-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

"The application has a totally different look and feed from the popular" feed***feel

Seems alright I guess. I'll probably stick with speedtest.net though.

Is this a new app? How is it version 1.45 already? That's a weird version number to start off with.

U trust them ????

Privacy is a value confined to the past . Just don't be nave folks.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Sage I (02-26-2014)

"The application won't take any personal information from you"

That's what they tell you

Quote Originally Posted by MuhNamesTyler View Post
    "The application won't take any personal information from you"

That's what they tell you
    Your "location" is personal data. And they "will" be taking that from you..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Sage I (02-26-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

No one has any real privacy anymore,so I don't know what all the concern over whether the app takes your personal data or not is coming from.Chances are that your data is being collected from some other app you use anyway.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WithinTemptationFan For This Useful Post:

novadam (02-26-2014), Sage I (02-26-2014)

"This" app scares y'all on privacy... LOL!

Thanks

The day we are not alarmed by our personal info being taken or used for other purposes than those intended is the day we lose our personal freedoms. We have every right to question this application and its use. Whats wrong with the speed app that we have all used for years? Why would the FCC want and or need this info? Im all set with helping them..peace.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (02-27-2014), se23 (02-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Privacy is a value confined to the past . Just don't be nave folks.
    Sure was. many years way before the huge tech wave

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    No thanks. They are just going to sell the info anyways. Did you see the terms?
    And this will cause you harm how????

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

FCC should have also offered a free tinfoil hat for those who don't want the app.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

novadam (02-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    No one has any real privacy anymore,so I don't know what all the concern over whether the app takes your personal data or not is coming from.Chances are that your data is being collected from some other app you use anyway.
    Co-sign

Location and speed is not personal data unless it's connected to a name or identifying number.
    This app is a good thing, the FCC can use that data to show the government and telcos exactly where we most need better service. This kind of data collection is a lot like government traffic data for roads, they need to show why they want to spend money building new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    FCC should have also offered a free tinfoil hat for those who don't want the app.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Thank you. These people are so silly, especially considering the fact that, if they're deliberately taking your information, which they aren't, then the NSA is already doing the same by making (or hacking) Speedtest.net, which the FCC would not be doing.

I dont understand people…you get an iPhone that is cutting edge technology that CONNECTS you to the world, and you don't somehow think some big brother somewhere will be peeking down? You can't have your cake and eat it too..you have privacy concerns? don't get an iPhpne…or don't put your friggin bank account app on there….if somebody wants to peak into my texts to see my text to wifey asking what grocery items are needed from my local stop and shop, feel free…I won't be putting my bank account on there though…)))

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    And this will cause you harm how????
    I am fully aware that my privacy is being invaded from every angle every moment of the day. I am not willing to help out the FCC with their little app. If they want to know more they can just go see their buddies at the NSA. By the way, where is my free hat?

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast