+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung announces the Galaxy S5, Set to Launch Globally in April

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung announces the Galaxy S5, Set to Launch Globally in April

Samsung’s next-gen flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5, was recently announced at the Mobile World Congress trade show. The handset is set to compete head to head with Apple’s iPhone 5S by sporting its own fingerprint sensor.

The South Korean tech giant’s response to Apple’s Touch ID also sports a fingerprint scanner under the home button, allowing users to unlock their handset and access private data stored on the phone. Samsung has also partnered with PayPal to enable mobile payments with its fingerprint scanner. Unlike Apple’s Touch ID, which simply requires that users press their finger against the home button for it to be scanned, Samsung has employed technology that requires a “swiping” motion to read a print.

The redesigned handset also has a “perforated” polycarbonate exterior on the back, while the front of the device is a 5.1-inch display that runs at a resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels, powered by a 2.5 GHz quad-core processor and 2 GB of RAM. The Galaxy S5 is also IP67 dust and water resistant while running on Android “KitKat” version 4.4.2.

Samsung’s fifth-gen Galaxy S device is apparently focused on health and fitness as well, including a personal fitness tracker to help users monitor and manage their behavior, not unlike the step tracking M7 coprocessor found in Apple’s iPhone 5S.However, Samsung has also included applications that can record diet and exercise records and the device also has a built-in heart rate monitor that can be used to measure a user’s pulse.

The new heart rate monitor is located on the back of the device, next to the camera’s flash. Users must place their finger on the sensor to have it measure their pulse. To that end, Samsung has also announced a separate wearable device dubbed the Gear Fit, which is a smaller wrist-worn accessory that connects with the company’s ecosystem of devices.

As far as the camera specifications go, the Galaxy S5 has a 16 megapixel camera that is accompanied by an enhanced menu and user interface. Samsung also claims that it has the world’s fastest autofocus speed, getting a shot in focus in up to 0.3 seconds. Another new feature introduced by Samsung is the Ultra Power Saving Mode, which turns the display to black and white and shuts down all unnecessary features to minimize battery consumption. Samsung says battery life with the Galaxy S5 is improved by 20% over its predecessor.

Last but not least, for wireless connectivity, the Galaxy S5 sports high-speed LTE, as well as 802.11ac next-gen Wi-Fi. A new “Download Booster” is also said to improve download speeds by using LTE and Wi-Fi simultaneously. The President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung, JK Shin, had the following to say regarding the new device:

With the Galaxy S5, Samsung is going back to basics to focus on delivering the capabilities that matter most to our consumers. Consumers are looking for mobile tools that inspire and support them as they improve their everyday lives. The Galaxy S5 represents an iconic design with essential and useful features to focus on delivering the ultimate smartphone on the market today through people inspired innovation.
    The Samsung Galaxy S5 is set to launch globally in April.

Source: Samsung via The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good article ! I Heard that samsung galaxy S5 will have 3 colors - black,white and gold.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by priorparts View Post
    Good article ! I Heard that samsung galaxy S5 will have 3 colors - black,white and gold.
    ha ha ... don't forget the a new fingerprint identity sensor, and a 64-bit chip. Totally original. Never seen before on a mobile device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fredHD's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing ground breaking to me personally. Oh well the fans of the S4 might enjoy it but il wait to see what's next from apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    ha ha ... don't forget the a new fingerprint identity sensor, and a 64-bit chip. Totally original. Never seen before on a mobile device.
    Haha don't forget the new BMW has 5 doors and a steering wheel! Totally original and never seen before on a car.

Seriously I had high hope for this phone but it looks like I'll be skipping samsung again.

Thanks

Anyone know if it's safe to jailbreak on the new iOS update? I'm currently on 7.0.4. Thanks!
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Anyone know if it's safe to jailbreak on the new iOS update? I'm currently on 7.0.4. Thanks!
    yes you can move to 7.0.6 and JB with evasi0n.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    yes you can move to 7.0.6 and JB with evasi0n.
    Sorry I meant to say, "is it safe to update to iOS 7.0.6 & jailbreak?"
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

As an owner of a Samsung phone in the past, and from what I know from people now who have the S3 and S4, a "20%" increase in battery life doesn't seem like much at all. While these phones are pretty nice and boast great specs they never ever have a good or even decent battery.

Thanks

it's samsung!

Thanks

Plastic again? Skipping Samsung again! 5C failed why? It matched my Tupperware. What a disappointment for both phones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You get 16GB version and out of the box you can use only 7GB.. How cool is that? Their fingerprint is a joke.. Watche couple videos it works 1 of 15 times.. There is and Blue color and it's the best of all.. Gold is like shits in Jurassic park.. I had note 2 and note 3 and Note 3 was a good phone but hearing cracks when i press the back every time.. I can't live with that so I sold it.. If they put Metal body I will think again, and less bloats... So Apple pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee give me bigger screen.. 4,5" - 5" and I will be so happy! Above 5 it's hard to use.. Especially if you use your phone for running or training.. So I hope for 5" :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    Sorry I meant to say, "is it safe to update to iOS 7.0.6 & jailbreak?"
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    A new “Download Booster” is also said to improve download speeds by using LTE and Wi-Fi simultaneously.
    That's actually kind of cool. Other than that, they increased the screen size and copied features of the new iPhone. Wow.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 02-25-2014 at 07:09 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

More Cheap crap from samsungcopied off of Apple comming soon to a store near you !

Thanks

I'm ignorant when it comes to the energy efficiency of the display...so someone explain why swapping to a black and white display uses less energy. It seems like it wouldn't matter because it is still turned on. Does it really use more energy to display certain colors...or is the black & white thing just symbolic of energy saving?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

This seems to be a marginal upgrade from the S4. I laugh at Apple fan boys who complain that it's not a huge upgrade though. Apple is the king of stringing idiots along with minute upgrades.

I'll keep my S4. No need to grab an S5 since I have an S4. The heart rate thing is kind of cool though. I couldn't care less about finger print scanning though. That feature is utterly useless for my purposes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sooo ugly. Omg. Does not look like it feels good in the hand or capable of making an owner proud. Weren't they supposed to go premium this time around?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I'm ignorant when it comes to the energy efficiency of the display...so someone explain why swapping to a black and white display uses less energy. It seems like it wouldn't matter because it is still turned on. Does it really use more energy to display certain colors...or is the black & white thing just symbolic of energy saving?
    Someone prob knows more than I do and can explain better but I believe since samsung uses oled display. Which doesn't use any sort of backlight Each individual pixel glows and turns on. So when it's on a black display those pixels are entirely off. The white parts will be only thing on so in theory it should save quite a bit of power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sladyrko View Post
    Their fingerprint is a joke.. Watche couple videos it works 1 of 15 times..
    I think you need to watch the video again. They were calibrating the fingerprint reader. Not everyone swipes their finger exactly the same.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Will it lag?