+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iOS 7.1 Beta 5 Fixes Geolocation Issue which Broke Location-Based Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iOS 7.1 Beta 5 Fixes Geolocation Issue which Broke Location-Based Apps

Apple recently reversed a change it made to how users quit location-aware apps in iOS 7. For those of you who didnít know, in the new OS, Apple changed the way location-aware applications work when they are force-quit by users. In iOS 7, users who force-quit the app by double tapping the home button and swiping up also end up disabling all location-aware functions which previously would continue in the background.

One app in particular, Life360, uses background location abilities to allow family and friends locate each other. The aforementioned iOS 7 issue caused the company to have a sudden influx of negative reviews and disappointed customers. Some apps even ended up seeing 30-50% drops in users following the change.

In iOS 7.1 beta 5, which was released a week ago, this change seems to have been reversed. Life360 CEO Chris Hulls attributes that to a letter that Life360 and a number of other developers sent to Apple CEO Tim Cook on February 1. In the beta, background locations services remaining running when an app is force quit, which is the same functionality that was found in iOS 6.

The folks over at VentureBeat have a portion of the letter which can be found below:

Dear Apple iOS Development Team,

We are a group of Apple developers who rely on iOS geolocation services for core parts of our businesses. iOS 7 was hugely exciting to us, as new features such as Location Beacons, Background Networking, and Multi-Peer Connectivity give us the ability to do things we never thought were possible.

In previous versions of iOS, if a user killed an application in the app switcher, developers were still able to get geolocation in the background. With iOS 7, once a user kills an application, all processes are terminated until the user manually restarts the app. We appreciate the intent behind this change, which we realize was done to give users more control over what is running on their phones, but it has caused major unintended consequences. Ö Many developers who rely on background geolocation have seen their app ratings fall by over 3 stars.
    Has this issue affected any of you?

Source: MacRumors, VentureBeat

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have this issue with bein sport app!
    It is a location based app.
    The way I solved was turning flight mode on the off!
    Now, that I know I just keep the app suspended in the background.
    Thank you guys for the findings!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 867 Posts

Flight mode = Airplane mode?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wouldn't this be a battery killer to have these location based apps continuing to locate even after a force quit? And how to you actually turn off the location based tracking if you so desire. Either in the apps settings or by disabling the ability in settings all together?

Amazes me how long the iPhone could actually last if they'd just stop being to idiotically focuses on making it so thin (which most don't like anyway) and put a nice, fat, long lasting battery inside. Imagine the customer satisfaction with an iPhone that would go 2 - 3 days on a charge even with heavy use.

Thanks

Sounds like there's a demand for location services on CC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Flight mode = Airplane mode?
    Yes!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I really wish that they would create a jailbreak for 7.1. I feel like they jumped the gun on 7.0.4 and it would've been worth it to wait until major bugs were fixed in iOS 7 first. Don't get me wrong, I'm greatful for the jailbreak and I donated my $15 to the evaders. But my 5s was crash happy before the jailbreak. Unless devs are going to push out tweaks that fixes the iOS 7.0.4 mistakes, I might upgrade to 7.1 and get rid of my jailbreak. I'm probably in the minority here though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

sidneyfrank1977 (02-12-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm very aware of how to conserve battery life on my phone, but yea, I charged my iPhone 5 overnight, it was 100%, and went to breakfast with my wife...While we were waiting for a table I was playing Candy Crush (hey, don't hate!) and we were seated about 15 minutes later. My battery was at 82%. She then took a phone call that lasted 22 minutes (found out I'm an uncle!) and I browsed Safari on 4G with 2 "bars" of battery...down to 62%. I dunno wtf is the deal is, but ever since iOS7 holy crap is my battery life terrible.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    I'm very aware of how to conserve battery life on my phone, but yea, I charged my iPhone 5 overnight, it was 100%, and went to breakfast with my wife...While we were waiting for a table I was playing Candy Crush (hey, don't hate!) and we were seated about 15 minutes later. My battery was at 82%. She then took a phone call that lasted 22 minutes (found out I'm an uncle!) and I browsed Safari on 4G with 2 "bars" of battery...down to 62%. I dunno wtf is the deal is, but ever since iOS7 holy crap is my battery life terrible.
    iPhone 5 has a battery problem. I've had 3 batteries fail on the 5 and I know 3 other people who's failed but can't send them in anymore. It's a hardware problem that apple hasn't acknowledged.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I really wish that they would create a jailbreak for 7.1. I feel like they jumped the gun on 7.0.4 and it would've been worth it to wait until major bugs were fixed in iOS 7 first. Don't get me wrong, I'm greatful for the jailbreak and I donated my $15 to the evaders. But my 5s was crash happy before the jailbreak. Unless devs are going to push out tweaks that fixes the iOS 7.0.4 mistakes, I might upgrade to 7.1 and get rid of my jailbreak. I'm probably in the minority here though.

Well, what if with 7.1 Apple would have released a 7.2 beta with even more needed fixes? I'm often left with the impression Apple does this by purpose to give to users a valid reason to update and loose their JB. A fix like this one should have been released long time ago, yet after months since iOS7's release it's still in a beta, this is quite ridicolous to be honest. There's always something better coming, if you decide to wait you'll always have to wait.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    iPhone 5 has a battery problem. I've had 3 batteries fail on the 5 and I know 3 other people who's failed but can't send them in anymore. It's a hardware problem that apple hasn't acknowledged.
    I bought a 2650 mah 'gold' battery on eBay as opposed to a replacement 1440 mah for my 5. 12 bucks and my battery life rocks!