Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'AppETA' Gives You a Detailed Breakdown of Download Information for Downloading Apps

Default 'AppETA' Gives You a Detailed Breakdown of Download Information for Downloading Apps

You've just got to love Apple's super-simple and non-informative application download process. When you download an application from the App Store, literally the only thing you see is a small circle that slowly fills itself in as the application downloads. You don't get any kind of ETA, file size information, or anything of that sort.

That's where a new jailbreak tweak called AppETA by iOS developer Smartviper E75 comes in. With this tweak installed, you'll be able to double-tap on any downloading application, and you'll get the information alert shown above. The information alert shows you information such as:

• The status of the download
    • The file size of the application you're downloading
    • The estimated time before completion
    • The application download speed
    • The developer of the game
    • A large preview of the application icon
    • A progress bar

You'll also find three buttons at the bottom of the information alert one for cancelling the download, one for dismissing the information alert, and one for visiting the App Store page for the application.

In addition to that, you can see from the screenshot above on the right that the tweak also gives you the option to use the classic-style progress bar for the application icon, rather than iOS 7's new fill-in circle style download progress indicator.

AppETA adds a preferences pane to your Settings application where you can configure a few options to your liking:

You can enable or disable the tweak on demand (may require a respring), enable or disable the double-tap gesture that you use to open the information alert, choose between a light or a dark information alert pop-up, enable or disable the classic-style progress bar on the application icon, enable or disable the label on the icon, make the label the estimated size or the percentage of completion, choose a color for the label, enable or disable iOS 7's default progress indicator, and configure an alarm ETA feature which can replace alarm text with estimated time remaining.

This tweak seems to be a solid way to improve the information given to you about applications that are downloading from the App Store. If you would like to give AppETA a try, it's available for just 99 in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak does require iOS 7 to be installed.

Name: AppETA
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS7.0-7.0.5
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Smartviper E75
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Get a faster internet connection if you need this.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Get a faster internet connection if you need this.
    Hey, even with FiOS Quantum (50 down, 25 up), I find myself wondering what the true progress is for downloading large 1GB+ games like Modern Combat.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like something like this on my phone, but for $.99? would think something like this would be free

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    I'd like something like this on my phone, but for $.99? would think something like this would be free
    Beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    I totally Agree with you about the price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks nice. I was using appcent when I was on ios 6.