+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'ayna' Gives You Quick Pocket Mirror Functionality From the Lock Screen

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In the event that you want to check your hair, make sure that you don't have anything in your teeth, or make sure that your make-up hasn't been accidentally smeared,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'ayna' Gives You Quick Pocket Mirror Functionality From the Lock Screen

In the event that you want to check your hair, make sure that you don't have anything in your teeth, or make sure that your make-up hasn't been accidentally smeared, it can be handy to have a pocket mirror on your person.

A lot of people use the front-facing camera on their iOS device as a pocket mirror, and a new free jailbreak tweak dubbed ayna by iOS developer ravirajm makes it even easier to access the front-facing camera from the Lock Screen.

Normally when you swipe up on the Lock Screen's Camera Grabber, you are presented with the interface for the rear-facing Camera. Then you have to wait for the camera to load, and then you have to tap on the button to switch to the front-facing camera, and then wait for the camera to load again.

If you want faster access to your front-facing camera, ayna makes it so that you can tap and hold on the Camera Grabber on the lock screen, and you'll immediately have access to your front-facing camera so you can use it as a pocket mirror.

Whats more is ayna gives you a completely clutter-free camera interface. The whole display will be dedicated to the camera, so there is no shutter button, Camera Roll button, or anything else to get in the way. There will be a small yellow triangle at the bottom of the display that you can tap on to return to the Lock Screen.

If you want to give ayna a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak is compatible with iPhones and iPod touches, but not iPads. It requires that you have iOS 7 installed.

Name: ayna
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.5, iPhone or iPod touch
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: ravirajm
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just checked. Much better than the traditional mirror for *** lint. Also catches the guch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Another decent tweak that's needlessly limited to iOS 7 when it really doesn't need to be. Sigh.....

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    Another decent tweak that's needlessly limited to iOS 7 when it really doesn't need to be. Sigh.....
    Well all of these tweak developers don't necessarily have an iOS 6 device to develop on anymore since upgrading to iOS 7, you know?

Most people are getting with the current firmware now that it's jailbreakable...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Well all of these tweak developers don't necessarily have an iOS 6 device to develop on anymore since upgrading to iOS 7, you know?
    That's not really an excuse though. It's not that hard to ask for some people that are on iOS 6 to help test. This is exactly what many of the better developers do if they don't have direct access to a given platform.

Further more, the other issue is when developers don't use frameworks like MobileSubstrate and many other libs that exist to help minimize this sort of needless fragmentation. In previous years, the fragmentation was never as high like it is now. Yes, iOS 7 brought some major changes, but given that so many frameworks and libraries have been upgraded for some time now, there really isn't excuse for all the developers contributing to the record amount of fragmentation that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Most people are getting with the current firmware now that it's jailbreakable...
    Care to share a statistic to back this up? It is a act that there are a lot of people who JB who are still on iOS 6 (or even older.) Some people can upgrade because their device doesn't support, and others who really don't like or care for iOS 7 (of which there are probably more than you seem to realize.) Even if you're right, it still doesn't excuse creating so much fragmentation of tweaks that aren't actually iOS-7-specific.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Any idea if this is compatible with Jellylock?

Previously known as weedsmart
    Thanks

That's not really an excuse though. It's not that hard to ask for some people that are on iOS 6 to help test. This is exactly what many of the better developers do if they don't have direct access to a given platform.
    Let's say the developer did this and something went horribly wrong to the testers phone or even a customers phone. Who do you think is going to take most of the blame? If I'm making something I want to make it the best I can without putting anyone's phone at risk. Let's say this was tested on an i5 still on ios6, what's going to happen to that ios6 when your stuck In a bootloop and forced to restore? Hello ios7

Further more, the other issue is when developers don't use frameworks like MobileSubstrate and many other libs that exist to help minimize this sort of needless fragmentation. In previous years, the fragmentation was never as high like it is now. Yes, iOS 7 brought some major changes, but given that so many frameworks and libraries have been upgraded for some time now, there really isn't excuse for all the developers contributing to the record amount of fragmentation that we have.
    You said it yourself, ios7 changed a lot. And sure some libraries may still work but do they really work the same way? I mean with all these changes and all. Not to mention I don't see many devs not using cydia substrate, can you name a atleast 1?

Care to share a statistic to back this up? It is a fact that there are a lot of people who JB who are still on iOS 6 (or even older.) Some people can't upgrade because their device doesn't support, and others who really don't like or care for iOS 7 (of which there are probably more than you seem to realize.) Even if you're right, it still doesn't excuse creating so much fragmentation of tweaks that aren't
    actually iOS-7-specific.
    Who need statistics? For everyone that needs to restore or has some issue, that's one more ios7 customer. And if people CHOOSE to keep an outdated phone or UNSUPPORTED firmware , that's fine, that's their choice. But don't expect everything available for the new Phones to work on older devices

The best way to solve your rant is to become a developer and make tweaks for your outdated firmware. It's a waste of time overall for the current devs to support something that can't be reverted too.
    Last edited by highboi; 02-17-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highboi View Post
    Let's say the developer did this and something went horribly wrong to the testers phone or even a customers phone. Who do you think is going to take most of the blame? If I'm making something I want to make it the best I can without putting anyone's phone at risk. Let's say this was tested on an i5 still on ios6, what's going to happen to that ios6 when your stuck In a bootloop and forced to restore? Hello ios7
    This has always been a risk with any tweak on any iOS version. Most people who volunteer to help a developer do so knowing what they are getting into and knowing the risks.

You said it yourself, ios7 changed a lot. And sure some libraries may still work but do they really work the same way? I mean with all these changes and all. Not to mention I don't see many devs not using cydia substrate, can you name a atleast 1?
    Go to Cydia and look at all the lib* packages, such as IconSupport, libstatusbar, etc. You're so ignoring the fact there are a lot of tweaks in Cydia that support multiple versions of iOS ranging from from iOS 7 down to 6, sometimes 5 and 4 (and rarely even all the way to 3) all with one Cydia (deb) package. So please stop defending things you don't seem to know fully about.

don't expect everything available for the new Phones to work on older devices
    I'm not expecting everything for iOS 7 or 5S to work with iOS 6 or older. But I don't feel it's unreasonable to mention when tweaks that aren't using anything specific to iOS 7 or 5S that would work fine in previous versions. And you're still missing the fact that the bigger problem is the record fragmentation that resulting from these one-off iOS 7-only tweaks. I have been jail breaking since late in iOS 3, and I don't recall there ever being this much fragmentation.

I just can't stress enough how bad this sort of fragmentation is for the JB scene, that it's becoming worse than Apple with encouraging needless newest-iOS-only apps ([i]in regards to apps that wouldn't run on less-than-newest-iOS only because of their .plist settings) in the App Store back when iOS 4, 5 and 6 came out... at least now the App Store allows you to download the newest compatible version instead of just leaving you boned. It seems to me that you are in favor of having a LESSER atmosphere of compatibility than Apple right now?

It's a waste of time overall for the current devs to support something that can't be reverted too.
    This was never the typical mind set in the past, why should it be now? The spirit of jail-breaking as always been about openness and not about perpetuating artificial limitations. In fact, that's the sot of thing that gave birth to jail-breaking in the first place.