+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flappy Bird Developer Speaks Out About Why He Removed the Game From the App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default Flappy Bird Developer Speaks Out About Why he Removed the Game From the App Store

Dong Nguyen, the developer behind the highly popular free Flappy Bird video game for iOS, has officially spoken out in an interview with Forbes about why he had chosen to pull the successful game from the App Store. Flappy Bird held the #1 spot in the "Top Free" section of the App Store while it was available, and had become a smash hit in a very short period of time.

For the longest time, Nguyen was pretty quiet about his reasoning for removing the game. He had Tweeted small hints on Twitter about the fact that he "can not take this anymore," but the true reasoning for why he removed the game had been unknown until now.

Nguyen attributes his decision to remove Flappy Bird from the App store to the addictive nature of the game, which players felt the effects of after wanting to better their high scores; especially against friends:

Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed. But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, itís best to take down Flappy Bird. Itís gone forever.
    Nguyen never intended for the game to become that way, but rather for it to just be a small time-killer in the event that the player had a few minutes to kill before something they needed to do. Because it didn't become what he had hoped, he notes that the game is gone forever, and won't see a revival.

Flappy Bird, in case you've never played it, set up randomly-generated pipes with gaps in them that you'd need to fly through. For each pipe you successfully moved through, you would get a point. The player would need to tap on the screen to flap the bird's wings, and this required precision timing; if you hit one of the pipes, your bird would come plummeting to the Earth and your score would be saved.

Flappy Bird had become so popular, that the game had managed to generate $50,000 per day in ad-revenue across platforms. It was available for both iOS and Android.

Although the game was pulled, those who had the game installed on their devices already can still continue playing it.

Sources: Forbes via MacRumors

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't believe his excuse for some reason

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats a stupid argument. The game ended up being more than what he intended it to be, so he takes it down? That's a cop out answer. It has to be more than that. Hardly any of the great things we have started out the way they were originally intended.

Don't get me wrong, I think theres a legitimate excuse why he took it down. I just don't think this is it. I've never played the game, and didn't download it when they hype went out about it going away either, but I followed the story. Something's fishy with this.

*T*
    Thanks

Guys it's not about the money. None of you can see past that, can you? Whereas we all sit her and whine about how candy crush is too addicting and is causing a loss of productivity, Nguyen didn't want his game to cause a negative reaction in society. I bet all of you would have been content to profit from such a thing, but Nguyen clearly has a strong morals and values system. I respect him for that. Americans are raised with profit as the only value, and look where our society is headed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *T* For This Useful Post:

Aenima133 (02-11-2014), Dphillipds (02-11-2014), fredHD (02-11-2014)

Thanks

High score games are made to be addictive. It is highly likely Nintendo sent a cease and desist letter. He puts the time in to update Flappy (after it was already a hit) and then pulls it a few days later? Something smells flappy...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Guys it's not about the money. None of you can see past that, can you? Whereas we all sit her and whine about how candy crush is too addicting and is causing a loss of productivity, Nguyen didn't want his game to cause a negative reaction in society. I bet all of you would have been content to profit from such a thing, but Nguyen clearly has a strong morals and values system. I respect him for that. Americans are raised with profit as the only value, and look where our society is headed.
    OMG! Really? You actually just really said that? Flappy birds was a detriment to society? REALLY? Some people need to get a life.

And BTW, it is about making money and if somebody wasn't doing it, you wouldn't have a JOB and YOU wouldn't be able to EAT.

peu
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    1) Great marketing, do not forget the app keeps getting revenue, and all the media is speaking about it, best case scenario , it would be a fad in a week or two
    2) Then the guy "reconsiders" and publish it again, BAM! two weeks more on top of the charts...
    3) Profit!

Thanks

Rubbish! This guy needs to drop off the planet already! All this up & down hoo haaa for a poxy game that would have been over in a few weeks anyway. The way he's going on it's like he discovered time travel but is scared of the consequences! MUG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jj2345 View Post
    I don't believe his excuse for some reason
    His excuse makes entirely no sense.. He said he wanted it to be something to kill time before you do something, but then if that's so.. why give points per pipe? that has the obvious result of wanting to beat your previous score or even your friends scores..

Secondly, how does creating an addictive game "ruin" his life .. that makes me believe the Nintendo story far more than his own excuse, it ruined his life because Nintendo killed his most valuable property and took away his largest meal ticket..

Lastly, I think he's been vague to protect his reputation as well.. he's been accused of copying from Nintendo for one, but also it's been said that he's suspected of getting false ratings/reviews to boost the popularity of the app which is a common, nefarious practice on app stores.. The app popularity did seem to instantly flare up, which no doubt would have gotten the attention of Nintendo and that would result in quick action by them..

If he's worried about cutting down productivity then why is he writing games to begin with? virtually any game will do that because there's almost always something else that people can be doing to better society.. so I don't buy that for a second.. Secondly, if it's not about the cash why inject ads? those are there for the singular purpose of making money.. but since it's not about that, I guess he could have removed the ads.
    Last edited by oneduality; 02-11-2014 at 06:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fredHD's Avatar
    Thanks

I say his game, his rules. He wanted it out so be it. No point bitc...g about it. Alternative ways can be use to get the game anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fredHD For This Useful Post:

jery911 (02-11-2014)

Thanks

Stupid reason, yes I said stupid.

Thanks

...and due to popular demand flappy birds hsas returned and is breaking sales records left and right.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

What can I say? The guy is retarded!

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

The Russians made him.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Next up. Angry birds

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you about Nguyen having morals and the game not being what he wanted it to be so he chose to take it down. But wow!...Last sentence major fail....

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but he lives in Vietnam, and it's dangerous to get a lot of money in a short amount of time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xerray For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (02-11-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I agree with you about Nguyen having morals and the game not being what he wanted it to be so he chose to take it down. But wow!...Last sentence major fail....
    Actually no, that last sentence is MAJOR TRUTH. Most people just dont accept/see it. We always want "bigger/better" and are never happy with what we have. Society tells us that if we don't drive a lamborgini and live in a mansion in Beverly Hills because we are famous then we are not "living to our potential". This is unable to be seen by those who are in it just like being in a bad relationship. After it's over you shake your head and say "what was I thinking?!!?" I cannot make you see this perspective, but hopefully one day you will understand. Alot of people are starting to see the things they were told growing up are not true, and that we are living our lives for others(fat cat corporate America) and wearing clothes and items that cost 10x's more than they should so that other people think we are "important" or "wealthy" or "successful". What does money say about you? In my personal experience some people with money are nice, but most are not. And those without are usually down to earth and nice, and small amounts of those are still mean. How about your experience? Have you had this same experience with people in your life? Have you seen people lie steal and cheat their own family and friends to "gain wealth"? When you finally "unplug" from society and don't log into facebook daily, and stop watching TV for a week and just enjoy things YOU enjoy, without trying to impress those around you, you slowly start to see life like those "bad relationships" you didn't realize were bad till you finally got out of them. I wish all of you clarity, peace & happiness in your journey!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiSTRFiNGA For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (02-11-2014), se23 (02-11-2014)

Thanks

Have you seen eBay? iPhones/iPods with flappy bird installed are selling for 1000-3000 bucks...

iPhone? More like MyPhone MoDaLoT's Avatar
    Thanks

I know it is gone from App Store, but I can still download it because I downloaded before...