Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'GuestMode' Gives You a Guest Mode Feature for Your iOS Device

Default 'GuestMode' Gives You a Guest Mode Feature for Your iOS Device

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hand your iOS device to a buddy of yours with the satisfaction of knowing that they oculd use your iOS device, but that you could control what they were allowed into and what they weren't allowed into?

A new jailbreak tweak called GuestMode by iOS developer Ian Burns aims to give you that satisfaction. This tweak gives your iOS device a new Mac OS X-like guest mode feature that offers guest users limited functionality of your iOS device. Best of all, you get to customize what guests are and aren't allowed to do on your iOS device.

When you have a passcode set, you can add a new "Guest" button to the screen, as shown above. This Guest button will bypass the passcode entirely, but once you're on the home screen, you are bound by the rules of the jailbreak tweak. As soon as the device is locked again, you will have the ability to enter your passcode for full privileges, or you can go back into the limited guest mode again.

One of the major things you can customize is what applications the guest user is able to use. For example, you can enable games, but disable personal applications like Facebook, Twitter, Messages, Phone, and more. Applications that are off-limits for the guest user are grayed out, and applications that they can use remain normal-looking, as shown below:

GuestMode adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure all of the tweak's various options and settings:

You can easily enable or disable the tweak on demand, choose the way you want the user to be able to enter Guest Mode, enable/disable/configure a guest passcode, enable or disable access to the Camera from the Lock Screen for guest users, enable or disable individual iOS features for guest users, and pick the applications (both stock and downloaded from the App Store/Cydia) that you want the guest user to be able to use.

Being able to customize what the guest user is allowed to get into helps you maintain your own security, while still allowing you to be nice and let them use your phone. Whether you're handing your phone to a stranger that asked to make a phone call, or to your kids that want to play a game, you can be somewhat sure with this tweak that they're not going to go through your iOS device and mess up your device or sift though your personal information.

If you want to give GuestMode a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for only 99. It does require that you have iOS 7 installed.

Name: GuestMode
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0.2-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.5
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Ian Burns
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

I hope iOS 8 brings in user login features for atleast the iPads... much needed when you share your tablet at home. Even Android has it... with a lot of different privacy & security settings for different profiles.. I thought iOS 7 would get the feature... but this has been the worst firmware... stability wise. So many bugs! I remember how iOS 3-5 had minimal bugs at release... iOS6-7 have been plagued with so much instability... rebooting randomly.. greyed out wifi... disabled bluetooth... disabled ringer tones... Apple is starting to s**k at firmware releases.

This needs to be considered one of the greatest tweaks of all time. Privacy, security and customization. This is up there with swipe selection and NC Settings and the infini tweaks. Easy 5/5 and really an instant classic.

Quote Originally Posted by twahl3583 View Post
    This needs to be considered one of the greatest tweaks of all time. Privacy, security and customization. This is up there with swipe selection and NC Settings and the infini tweaks. Easy 5/5 and really an instant classic.
    I agree ... Really loving this tweak . Exactly what I was looking for . Now just needs to able to activate from springboard👍😬

One possible improvement I would suggest is support for multiple profiles.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

If this works on my iPad 2, I'm IN!!!

Thanks

suuuurrrreee guest mode more like girlfriend mode

Quote Originally Posted by twahl3583 View Post
    I haven't tried this tweak yet but it seems to function the same as those other tweaks that password protect every app you have installed (ie: Lockdown Pro) and even they can be quickly turned on or off with activator gestures so I can't really agree that it's the greatest tweak (flex doesn't get enough credit there) because it isn't really bringing anything new to the table.

lol @ plcrules

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is perfect

Would be awesome to have touch ID integrated to this so certain fingerprints start up guest mode.

Quote Originally Posted by bbongrip View Post
    Would be awesome to have touch ID integrated to this so certain fingerprints start up guest mode.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post
    I hope iOS 8 brings in user login features for atleast the iPads... much needed when you share your tablet at home. Even Android has it... with a lot of different privacy & security settings for different profiles.. I thought iOS 7 would get the feature... but this has been the worst firmware... stability wise. So many bugs! I remember how iOS 3-5 had minimal bugs at release... iOS6-7 have been plagued with so much instability... rebooting randomly.. greyed out wifi... disabled bluetooth... disabled ringer tones... Apple is starting to s**k at firmware releases.
    Agreed. Apple needs to get back on the ball with their software. Most of their stock apps iOS 7 apps (including iBooks) don't even resize correctly during calls/FaceTime... which is already unforgivable for an app developer, but APPLE THEMSELVES? Who MADE the status bar double in size?! Come on!