Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 7.1 Beta 5 Closes Even More Exploits Used By the Evasi0n7 Jailbreak

Default iOS 7 Beta 5 Closes Even More Exploits Used By the Evasi0n7 Jailbreak

On Tuesday, Apple seeded iOS 7.1 beta 5 to developers for testing, and according to well-known iOS hacker iH8sn0w, the new beta not only brings improved Siri voices to other languages, but also closes even more of the exploits that are used by the evasi0n7 jailbreak.

Evasi0n7 was originally patched in iOS 7.1 beta 4, which closed a code-signing bug, but iOS 7.1 beta 5 closes additional exploits:

With even more security holes fixed in the latest iOS 7.1 beta, it's clear to us that Apple intends these fixes to be prevalent in the public release of iOS 7.1, and users that want to keep their jailbreaks should refrain from updating when the update is finally released to the public.

Sources: iH8sn0w

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

LudaChris (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

That's a real shame, understandable tho with evasi0n7 being released well ahead of when it was expected. Pity they didnt wait till 7.1 was GM...while 7.0.4 is good to be jailbroken on 7.1 would have been so much better...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (02-05-2014), King_O_Hill (02-04-2014), PokemonDesigner (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    That's a real shame, understandable tho with evasi0n7 being released well ahead of when it was expected. Pity they didnt wait till 7.1 was GM...while 7.0.4 is good to be jailbroken on 7.1 would have been so much better...
    Kinda sad that the next jailbreak we 'might' see could be as far away as Dec/Jan... 😞

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (02-04-2014), PokemonDesigner (02-05-2014)

Ehh.. JB tweaks on 7.0.4 are more valuable to me on my 5S than anything 7.1 will bring stock.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adrian97c For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (02-05-2014), Rcworship (02-05-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Kinda sad that the next jailbreak we 'might' see could be as far away as Dec/Jan... 😞
    Or it could a full year without one! I was kinda hoping 7.1 would be JBn even after evasi0n7 was released but seems unlikely ATM. Maybe more of a private JB...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
    Ehh.. JB tweaks on 7.0.4 are more valuable to me on my 5S than anything 7.1 will bring stock.
    Ehh...System stability even on jailed iDevices is crap...even Apple admitted that & plan to fix it in 7.1 hence refer my first post...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.
    Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhheck yeaaaa

So true... 7.0.4 is so broken on so many devices... ranging from 4 all the way to the 5S... with failing wifi, bluetooth & no ringer as some of the major discussed issues on the Apple Communities.

Hope 7.1 GM fixes all these major problems... have been holding back to update my 4S device from 6.1.2.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigar7 For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (02-05-2014), PokemonDesigner (02-05-2014)

Thanks

Agreed, it really is that bad. 7.1 is where 7.0 should have been on the iOS7 public release...with Apple scrambling with iOS7 it'll be interesting to see if the iOS8 beta drops in June as per the previous years. This time last year I believe we were jailbroken for a week now on iOS6.1. I remember cos it was around Superbowl wasn't it?

To be honest I'm experiencing none of the issues reported here, and I have 3 devices running iOS 7.0.4 (iPhone 5S, 5 and iPad 4). Rock stable jailed, still rock stable jailbroken. I have a ton of tweaks installed (according to PkgBackup around 80 packages, dependencies included), still I haven't been thrown into Safe Mode one single time yet. Of course there always is something better around the corner, but with 7.1 coming on March or even later this would have meant no jailbreak for at least 3 more months, almost till the release of the next iPhone, it wouldn't have made much sense. And there was no guarantee 7.1 wouldn't have patched required exploits anyways. You can't always wait, otherwise you'd end up not releasing anything at all.
    Last edited by Fafner; 02-05-2014 at 06:03 AM.

I am so tired of this ongoing battle with Apple and there JBs. Don't they realize that an apple product without a JB is just boring!!!!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to itouch24 For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (02-05-2014)

Thumbs up 7.0.4 is best iOS so far on all my iDevices
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    To be honest I'm experiencing none of the issues reported here, and I have 3 devices running iOS 7.0.4 (iPhone 5S, 5 and iPad 4). Rock stable jailed, still rock stable jailbroken. I have a ton of tweaks installed... You can't always wait, otherwise you'd end up not releasing anything at all.
    Ditto... One should not let perfect get in the way of good...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zeppy For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (02-06-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post
    So true... 7.0.4 is so broken on so many devices... ranging from 4 all the way to the 5S... with failing wifi, bluetooth & no ringer as some of the major discussed issues on the Apple Communities.

Hope 7.1 GM fixes all these major problems... have been holding back to update my 4S device from 6.1.2.
    It's clearly an issue with the individual device, if it was the OS, the problems would be present on all devices running 7.0.4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm staying on 7.0.4 forever lol I'm happy with my jailbreak just want intelliscreenX or lockinfo to hurry up and update to ios 7

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad.carmichael For This Useful Post:

hogcia (02-05-2014), PokemonDesigner (02-05-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Apple's doing this. Evasion, as with all jailbreaks, takes advantage of code bugs and security vulnerabilities in the iOS. Of course Apple's going to close publically identified and exploited issues. They'd be a pretty lousy developer themselves if they didn't.

To all those that are wishing Apple would 'give up' in the cat & mouse game... it'll never happen. Apple doesn't want to end up supporting user experience issues with unsupported apps, and the easier they allow jailbreaking to be, the more dumb newbies that'll do it, and the more support issues Apple will have to take a cost burden for because of these newbies. Apple also doesn't want to lose the revenue stream from the App Store to competing stores - they don't earn 30% of what's sold on Cydia, after all.

PCYoda hit it right on the head. But I have faith in the evasi0n guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PCYoda View Post
    It shouldn't surprise anyone that Apple's doing this. Evasion, as with all jailbreaks, takes advantage of code bugs and security vulnerabilities in the iOS. Of course Apple's going to close publically identified and exploited issues. They'd be a pretty lousy developer themselves if they didn't.

To all those that are wishing Apple would 'give up' in the cat & mouse game... it'll never happen. Apple doesn't want to end up supporting user experience issues with unsupported apps, and the easier they allow jailbreaking to be, the more dumb newbies that'll do it, and the more support issues Apple will have to take a cost burden for because of these newbies. Apple also doesn't want to lose the revenue stream from the App Store to competing stores - they don't earn 30% of what's sold on Cydia, after all.
    While I completely agree with all you've said, they've still ripped off a number of tweaks from the JB community. It is clear that they do support it because they wouldn't continue to change/add features like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Ditto... One should not let perfect get in the way of good...
    Another ditto here. Although I wasn't too impressed with TaiG and the piracy issues, the earlier-than-expected release of the jailbreak was, IMHO, infinitely better that waiting another 2-3 months just to get a slightly different-looking keyboard and lock-screen slider.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    While I completely agree with all you've said, they've still ripped off a number of tweaks from the JB community. It is clear that they do support it because they wouldn't continue to change/add features like they do.
    That is true...and the more they try to thwart jailbreaking, the lower the chance of great ideas emerging. TouchID, for example, has been revolutionized w/ VirtualHome. As lazy at it sounds, I can't even imagine having to go back to the old days of pressing the Home Button again! ...and when I say 'old days,' I mean last month!