+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'TimePasscode' Lets You Unlock Your iOS Device With the Current Time as a Passcode

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'TimePasscode' Lets You Unlock Your iOS Device With the Current Time as a Passcode

When it comes to choosing a passcode, sometimes it's hard to decide what to set a passcode to. You don't want to be too predictable, but at the same time, you want to set something that's memorable.

A new free jailbreak tweak called TimePasscode by Stevie Hetelekides allows you to set your iOS device's passcode to the current time that your iOS device displays, as shown above.

The way this works is, the tweak constantly keeps track of the current time, and when you need to unlock your iOS device, you can enter the current time (as four digits) to unlock your iOS device. This is pretty ingenious, because who in the world is going to put in the current time as your passcode to try and get into your device? someone is going to try your birthday, or something significant to you. They always say, sometimes the greatest security is in plain sight.

If the time is 12:30, you'll enter 1230 as your passcode. If the time is 9:45, you'll enter 0945 as your passcode. It's that simple. Entering the time will unlock your iOS device, and give you access to your device's applications and data.

TimePasscode adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure a few key options:

Here, you will be able to enable and disable the tweak on demand, as well as allow or disallow your usual passcode. You can also enable a feature that forces you to enter the time backwards for an additional security measure.

By enabling your usual passcode, you can unlock your iOS device either with the current time, or with the passcode that you set. If you enable the backwards time feature, if the time is 12:00, you will enter 0021 as the passcode instead of the expected 1200.

TimePasscode looks like a really handy jailbreak tweak for those looking for additional security, as well as alternatives to passcodes if they are forgotten. If you want to give the tweak a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: TimePasscode
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.0.1-9
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Stevie Hetelekides
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

PabloCrj23 (02-04-2014)

Thanks

Is it just me or does this sound like an incredibly stupid thing to do?

"This is pretty ingenious, because who in the world is going to put in the current time as your passcode to try and get into your device?"

Who in the world?
    Well everybody who reads this post and all the other numerous posts on blogs,twitter,idevice news sites Etc. all over the net!
    The mind boggles!
    Last edited by 1jono; 02-04-2014 at 11:56 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1jono For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (02-04-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What would be really cool would be if it had the ability to add an extra cipher to the code based on the time.

For instance, let's say your usual passcode is "2468" and the time was "01:55" - let's say you did "backwards time" and used your usual passcode as an additional cypher. Your passcode becomes "7978" (5510 reverse time, then 5+2/5+4/1+6/0+8). Now you have something that's truly secure.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default rediculous
    Quote Originally Posted by jono-hales View Post

"This is pretty ingenious, because who in the world is going to put in the current time as your passcode to try and get into your device?"

Who in the world?
    Well everybody who reads this post and all the other numerous posts on blogs,twitter,idevice news sites Etc. all over the net!
    The mind boggles!
    no it's not just you. this is stupid.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Who in the world?
    The mind boggles!
    Yeah, anyone who can tell if a phones been jailbroken can just try the time once. If it works it works, if not, oh well. But this makes it easier to guess a pass code than not knowing one, because at least you can start guessing from somewhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    Yeah, anyone who can tell if a phones been jailbroken can just try the time once. If it works it works, if not, oh well. But this makes it easier to guess a pass code than not knowing one, because at least you can start guessing from somewhere.
    I just don't particularly see the chances being high enough of someone picking up a jailbroken iOS device and trying the time. I just don't.

A) How are they going to know it's jailbroken?
    - I know a lot of people theme their devices, but a lot of people don't and the lock screen looks the same as a non-jailbroken device
    - You have to get past the lock screen to see Cydia on the home screen, and to do this, you need the passcode.

B) People aren't going to have the instinct to put in the time as the passcode.
    - The time is constantly changing, and people assume that a passcode is always the same.
    - Most things in plain sight aren't obviously spotted as security breaches because people over-think things.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I just don't particularly see the chances being high enough of someone picking up a jailbroken iOS device and trying the time. I just don't.

A) How are they going to know it's jailbroken?
    - I know a lot of people theme their devices, but a lot of people don't and the lock screen looks the same as a non-jailbroken device
    - You have to get past the lock screen to see Cydia on the home screen, and to do this, you need the passcode.

B) People aren't going to have the instinct to put in the time as the passcode.
    - The time is constantly changing, and people assume that a passcode is always the same.
    - Most things in plain sight aren't obviously spotted as security breaches because people over-think things.
    Doesn't matter of you can tell if it is jail broken or not. This tweak gives you one possibility right away. If it works it works, if not then the phone is still locked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Doesn't matter of you can tell if it is jail broken or not. This tweak gives you one possibility right away. If it works it works, if not then the phone is still locked.
    Nevertheless, if you don't feel secure with this tweak, by all means don't download and use it.

Most people are looking more for birthdays, anniversaries, PIN numbers, etc.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCYoda View Post
    What would be really cool would be if it had the ability to add an extra cipher to the code based on the time.

For instance, let's say your usual passcode is "2468" and the time was "01:55" - let's say you did "backwards time" and used your usual passcode as an additional cypher. Your passcode becomes "7978" (5510 reverse time, then 5+2/5+4/1+6/0+8). Now you have something that's truly secure.
    It would take me 15minutes to unlock my phone and thats only after I access the calculator through the CC!!! lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Who in the world?
    The mind boggles!
    How many jail breakers do you know? I for one have not met a single one in all my life. The amount of people who jb is extremely low and then the amount of people who know about this tweak is even lower. Basically the chance of someone just inputting the current time as a pass code (who does that?) is slim to none. And I think this tweak is more for prying eyes. Those who love to try and memorize your pass code so they can fuss at you for your texts and pics. Reverse the time code and they'll never ever figure it out.

Thanks

Still too easy. It should use the time and your fixed PIN, hash them together, then use the center 4 hex digits converted to base 10. A real geek does encrypted hashes in their head.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (02-04-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see what the problem with this tweak is. I think it's a pretty neat idea and one that adds extra security to the lock screen. If you don't like it, you don't have to download it. Why waste everyone's time by telling them how much of a useless tweak you think this is?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Who in the world?
    The mind boggles!
    I doubt criminals read these blogs and even if they did, who would know to try the (current) time as a passcode?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think it's good to have something like this for when you don't want to seem like you don't trust someone but, at the same time, you don't want them to know your passcode. Perhaps if there was a secret way to invoke this so that it's not always accepting the time as a passcode it would be even better. Further, if there were several ways to select from for invoking it and it would disable the tweak if someone tries the wrong invocation twice. I would also like to see a time +/- x hours, +/- y minutes. Like, I could set it to +2 hours -3 minutes and the passcode at 9:45AM would be 1142.

I guarantee you government and law enforcement would add it to their list of PINs to try first if they didn't have a different hack to remove the passcode (every A4 device has a hacked bootloader).
    Last edited by CZroe; 02-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

szr (02-10-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

man that is most prilleant idea i have ever seen i just installed it and try it i shocked guys unbelivabel extreeeeeem genius smart wOw 🔥

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WithinTemptationFan View Post
    I don't see what the problem with this tweak is. I think it's a pretty neat idea and one that adds extra security to the lock screen. If you don't like it, you don't have to download it. Why waste everyone's time by telling them how much of a useless tweak you think this is?
    I agree, if you don't like it...Don't download it. Second..if your THAT forgetful then maybe ya don't need an iPhone..lol. Most people i know never leave their iPhones alone.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This'll be good for the average user. What are the odds that someone will lose an iPhone to forgetfulness or theft, and have it found or taken by someone who happened to read the jailbreak blogs? But, I see where you're coming from.

Who in the world?
    The mind boggles!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Totally kills Android Lock XT if you have the auto bypass enabled. But I like it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And a phone that's useless if you have to get it open quickly to do something.
    But the concept of a constantly changing, yet easy to remember password is brilliant. That's a great way to solve the password problem.