+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'KDLTE4G for iOS7' Lets You Spoof Your Cellular Data Indicator to Show 4G or LTE

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you have ever had the desire of changing that "3G" indicator on your iPhone 4 to "4G" or "LTE," or maybe you have an iPhone 4s and want "4G"
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'KDLTE4G for iOS7' Lets You Change Your Cellular Data Indicator to Show 4G or LTE

If you have ever had the desire of changing that "3G" indicator on your iPhone 4 to "4G" or "LTE," or maybe you have an iPhone 4s and want "4G" to say "LTE," then there's a new free jailbreak tweak called KDLTE4G for iOS7 by iOS developer Sean Young that will let you do just that.

The tweak isn't limited to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s, of course, but what the tweak lets you do is change the cellular data indicator to 4G, LTE, or back to the default indicator whenever you want to.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure the cellular data indicator that you want to display in the Status Bar:

When you select the "Default" option, your Status Bar's cellular data indicator will show the usual icon for whatever network you're on. For example if you're connected to a 3G network, then the 3G indicator will display. If you're connected to a 4G network, then the 4G indicator will display.

When you select either the "4G" or the "LTE" option from this list, that is the indicator that will always show no matter what. So you might be connected to a 3G network, and a 4G indicator might show (if you picked it), or the LTE indicator might show (if you picked it). The changes you make here don't apply immediately, and you don't have to respring your device. Just wait about 5-8 seconds after making a change, and your changed cellular data indicator will appear in the Status Bar.

Obviously, this tweak doesn't give your dated iPhone 4 any 4G or LTE capabilities; this tweak is only intended to spoof your cellular data indicator to make it look to the eyes that you're connected to a 4G or LTE network. It's merely aesthetic, and a nice way to customize your iOS device.

While the customization is nice, it's also going to make it difficult for you to actually know what kind of network you're on. Your cellular connection could drop from 3G to E, and yet if you have "LTE" selected in the preferences pane, your Status Bar is still going to say "LTE," so you won't actually know that you're on a slower Internet connection until you start noticing the ultra-slow speeds, or you return to the "Default" option to see what radio you're using.

If you want to give KDLTE4G for iOS7 a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: KDLTE4G for iOS7
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: Cellular iOS device
    Tested on: iPhone 4 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Sean Young
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Without wanting to sound like one of the trolls, I'm not really getting the point behind this....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

twahl3583 (02-05-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Without wanting to sound like one of the trolls, I'm not really getting the point behind this....
    It's one of those neat little tweaks you can use in front of your friends to say, "hey look guys, I have 4G LTE on my iPhone 4. Don't you?"

It just serves a purpose of fun and deceit. It's all aesthetic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Who on earth is going to look someone else's phone to see what network is being used? I would think most could not care less!

Also, are people that far up themselves to want to show others the network they are on - good grief, what a sad, sad world.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Clive you are a moron. It is a sad sad world when people like you make these comments because you personally have no desire for the tweak. And yet rather than just move on, you have to comment and put down the dev.. Obviously he liked it, and others too. No one said they use it to show off their network to friends.. They just gave an example since it was asked. Maybe someone like me with a 4s wants his icon to read 3G instead of 4g (which is inaccurate since the 4s is actually 3G not 4g) . If one person wants it (which obviously the dev does) then good for that and you really should just keep your opinion to your self. "Oh what a horrid, sad sad world it is when someone developed an iPhone tweak that I'm not interested in" . Idiot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dommy99 For This Useful Post:

primalscream.40 (01-31-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd use it just to make my dispatcher mad. I'd tell him see I'm JB an I can put my 4S on LTE

Thanks

I need that to finally change 3G ​​to another theme/icon, because the 3G is a text and no icon.
    I do not brag, I do not need recognition.
    Thanks to the Developer!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why 4.5/5? There's so many winterboard themes that do this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twahl3583 View Post
    Why 4.5/5? There's so many winterboard themes that do this?
    Isn't the lack of WinterBoard one reason that you might want this tweak instead?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Isn't the lack of WinterBoard one reason that you might want this tweak instead?
    The question was was did it get a 4.5/5? What was the tweak judged on? Usefulness? Coolness? Lack of bugs? What?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    The question was was did it get a 4.5/5? What was the tweak judged on? Usefulness? Coolness? Lack of bugs? What?!?
    If the tweak works as it's intended, we'll give it the full rating.

The only time it'll get docked points is if the user interface is difficult to use, the tweak comes off as buggy, or we feel the tweak needs more features to complete its purpose.

We docked this tweak the .5 's because it seems to just change the icon 5-8 seconds after applying the setting rather than immediately, and rather than requiring a respring. It doesn't seem user-friendly in that aspect because the user doesn't know when to expect the changes.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-31-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If it is not to late I would like to reply to DOMMY99 and his comments about my reply:

In the first instance I stick with what I originally said. However, I will clarify my thoughts:

If your are on 3G then you will get 3G and I see no point in making it look like 4G.
    If you are on 4G then you will get 4G.
    If however, you are on 4G and for some reason can only get 3G I still see little point in making it look like 4G.
    If for some reason that eludes me you are on a particular band and for some reason cannot get that band and wish to change the 3G/4G icon then by the time you have faffed about changing the icon you will have forgotten what you are doing in the first place.

Now, let me make it VERY clear that I am NOT knocking the developer in any way and the hard work put into the tweak. However, at the end of the day I cannot see a reason for this tweak other than showing off that to me seems pointless and a waste of time.

If I am missing a point somewhere along the line, then please explain and I will immediately step down.