Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'ASUpdateHider' Lets You Hide App Store Updates that You Don't Want to Download

Default 'ASUpdateHider' Lets You Hide App Store Updates that You Don't Want to Download

App Store developers like to update their applications all the time with new features or what they like to call "improvements," but when it comes right down to it, the user might not see all of these changes as "improvements." Some common cases are with the Facebook application, which seems to get more and more bugs with each update, or the YouTube application, which every time it gets updated, seems to break popular extensions like YourTube or ProTube.

If you want to be able to hide App Store application updates from the Updates tab so that you don't have to deal with them, and also keep that pesky update badge from showing on the App Store application and the Updates tab of the application, then check out a new jailbreak tweak called ASUpdateHider by iOS developer Marco Cristalli.

After you install this tweak, whenever you have an update in the App Store, you can just swipe on the update to reveal a "hide update" button. Tapping on this button will allow you to pick between hiding only this one update, or hiding all updates for that application altogether.

ASUpdateHider adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure a few options:

The first option allows you to hide the application update history, which shows you all of the recent applications that you've updated. The second option allows you to choose what happens when you tap on the "Hide Update" button. By default, it's set to "Ask me every time," but you can also set it to "Only the last version," or "All future updates."

Under the "Hidden Updates" cell, you will be able to see all of the application updates that you've hidden from the App Store, and if you want to restore them to the App Store because you decided that you want to update the application after all, you can use the Edit button in this interface to remove the application(s) you want to update from this list, and they'll show up under the Updates tab in the App Store application once more.

With all of the options you have available, ASUpdateHider is a great tweak for those that don't really care to update applications in order to stick with stability of not only the application itself, but also with jailbreak tweaks that might extend the feature set of applications. ASUpdateHider is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit iOS 7 devices, and if you want to give it a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for 99.

Name: ASUpdateHider
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Marco Cristalli
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

That's nice and all, but seems more suitable as a free app.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    That's nice and all, but seems more suitable as a free app.
    With how polished it is and with all the options, I'd say it's worth the 99, but that's just my opinion.

It allows you to hide the updates, BUT it does not remove the red badge (indicating the number of - now hidden - updates). What good is that?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dstorrents For This Useful Post:

jose060789 (01-28-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The latest version does remove the red badge. Or at least it does seem to for me with an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.0.4.

Well worth 99 cents in my opinion too.

Quote Originally Posted by dstorrents View Post
    It allows you to hide the updates, BUT it does not remove the red badge (indicating the number of - now hidden - updates). What good is that?
    Thanks for telling us. I was about to buy it. Uffsss

What we really need is a tweak that removes the update history from the screen, that bugs the crap out of me!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeyb View Post
    What we really need is a tweak that removes the update history from the screen, that bugs the crap out of me!
    The latest version removes the update history too.

All working perfectly with the latest version which was released last night.

NOT SURE IF THE UPDATE FIXES THE ISSUE (it may). I can't update till later. Although jmh2002 reports above that the badge issue has been corrected.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
    The latest version does remove the red badge. Or at least it does seem to for me with an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.0.4.

Well worth 99 cents in my opinion too.
    Confirmed again, yes it does.

The latest version removes the update history too.

All working perfectly with the latest version which was released last night.
    Confirmed again, yes it does.

I bought it and it's fantastic! I'd have paid 5 bucks for this just to protect some of my work-critical apps from lame App Store "updates". This is a slick, professional app- can't imagine how somebody thought it should be free.

Kupe

On my ipad3, when i install Asupdatehider, the AppStore Crashs when i tap on the Updates Button at bottom. There is no Chance - when i uninstall Asupdatehider the Problem continues with AppStore und the update-crash.

Most reviews I've seen say ASUpdateHider still does not work with 7.1.2. Does anyone have any contact with the Developer? I've tried repeatedly to contact him via email and Twitter and no reply. I consider Asupdatehider to be critical and won't upgrade from 7.0.6 to 7.1.2 until it runs. Any way to get any news from the Developer much appreciated!

Kupe

Hey gang-

In the past few days, ASUpdateHider has stopped working. On my iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.6, swiping an Update does not bring up the ASUpdateHider options. And on my iPhone 5S running 7.1.2, swiping an update does bring up ASUpdateHider, but it then causes the AppStore app to crash. I haven't updated anything lately, so seems like some change in the App Store or otherwise has broken ASUpdatehider. Anyone else seeing this? The author has never replied to any support emails or Tweets but I will try there too.

Kupe
    Last edited by Kupe; 10-10-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yep, I just noticed the same issue. And clicking on update just opens the app instead. Did you uninstall ASUpdateHider to confirm that was where the conflict is?

Yep, I just noticed the same issue. And clicking on update just opens the app instead. Did you uninstall ASUpdateHider to confirm that was where the conflict is?
    Wow- yes- that is bizarre. I had not noticed that as I hadn't tried to Update anything, but yes I am seeing the same as you on my iPad 2 running iOS 7.0.6. Tapping Update only launches the app- does not update it. And note also that the Update All prompt is grayed out. And Swiping an Update no longer brings up the ASUpdateHider prompts.

On my iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.2, tapping Update still works as advertised. But swiping an Update to Hide it brings up ASUpdateHider but then crashes the AppStore app.

Even stranger, I just deleted ASUpdateHider from my iPad and rebooted. And the problem persists! Tapping an Update only launches the app.

I have a feeling Apple has pushed some change to the AppStore Update code (basically it's a web page) and this problem may be widespread beyond just ASUpdateHider users. Anyone?

Kupe
    Last edited by Kupe; 10-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Bump... Anyone?

A small work around I have found is that instead of clicking update on the summary of updates page, its possible to go into the detail page of each app to be updated, and click the update button here. Then the update will proceed as expected (instead of opening the app).

This doesn't solve not being able to hide updates of course, nor the crashes that other users are experiencing (I dont get this on my setup) but it does mean that the 'hide update history' feature still works.
    Last edited by jmh2002; 11-02-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Bump... Anyone?
    Yep, still broken. The underlying changes in the App Store that broke ASUpdatehider are discussed in this very very long thread in the Apple Discussions forums
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6590253?tstart=0

Bottom line is this:

1) The App Store Updates page is broken in iOS 7.0.x. Tapping Update only opens the App and doesn't Update it. This problem affects all users of iOS 7.0.x and is not unique to jailbroken devices. ASUpdatehider functions are completely broken. i.e. swiping does not bring up the ASUpdatehider dialogs.

2) App Store Updates page works in iOS 7.1.2, but invoking ASUpdatehider causes the App Store app to crash.

I'm surprised that Apple has left the App Store broken this long for 7.0.x users since it is still an officially supported OS.

As for ASUpdatehider, it seems to have been abandoned by its author. He's answered none of my emails or Tweets, and his Twitter feed is full of spam.

Very sorry to see a very good and paid app like this not even survive its first full year. I really liked it.

Kupe

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for this good info, it explains a few more things on the App Store side of the problem.