+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'TinyBar' Makes iOS 7 Notification Banners Smaller and Less Intrusive

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple implemented banner notifications in iOS 5 to make notifications less intrusive, and yet with iOS 7, Apple made banner notifications so tall that you actually have to manually dismiss
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'TinyBar' Makes iOS 7 Notification Banners Smaller and Less Intrusive

Apple implemented banner notifications in iOS 5 to make notifications less intrusive, and yet with iOS 7, Apple made banner notifications so tall that you actually have to manually dismiss them in order to access navigation pane buttons in applications. With this being the case, Apple kind of went backwards and made banner notifications intrusive in iOS 7.

If you want to make iOS 7 banner notifications less intrusive, there's a new free jailbreak tweak available in Cydia called TinyBar by iOS developer Alex Zielenski that will shrink your banner notifications to size, as shown above.

The tweak effectively makes your incoming banner notifications no taller than your Status Bar, so if you're in an application and you want to tap on the back button to go to a previous interface, you won't have to worry about banner notifications getting in your way.

TinyBar is also customizable. The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure a few options:

You'll be able to enable and disable the tweak on demand, as well as enable or disable text scrolling (for longer notifications), hide or show the notification title, and hide or show the application icon for the notification. You can also use sliders to manually adjust the height of your banner notifications, adjust how long the banner remains on your display, and adjust how fast text scrolls across the banner.

TinyBar appears to offer a really beautiful way to shrink your banner notifications, so if you're struggling with the size of Apple's banner notifications in iOS 7, this is a great way to cut them down in size and add even more features to them. If you want to give TinyBar a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: TinyBar
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.0.4-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Alex Zielenski
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

Thanks

idk if this was just me, but i downloaded this, and it was KILLING my battery, my charging current was -500 constantly. after i deleted it went back to a normal ~-200. odd

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    idk if this was just me, but i downloaded this, and it was KILLING my battery, my charging current was -500 constantly. after i deleted it went back to a normal ~-200. odd
    How can you tell your charging current?

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    Maybe something to do with the scrolling? Just the resize shouldn't change anything with the battery.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Once again, another tweak that needlessly is limited to just iOS 7. For anyone not on iOS 7 and wanting a tweak just like this, have a look at DietBulletin. It's written by Ryan Petrich and does the exact same thing and does it well, and works on iOS as far back as 4.x and I believe supports iOS 7 as well.