Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Enable the Nitro JavaScript Engine in Third-party Web Browsers in iOS 7

Default How to Enable the Nitro JavaScript Engine in Third-party Web Browsers in iOS 7

Apple's Mobile Safari Web browser in iOS uses a Nitro JavaScript engine that takes advantage of JIT (Just In Time) compiling to give users screaming JavaScript performance on their mobile devices. For whatever reason, probably to make Mobile Safari look like the best Web browser for iOS, Apple doesn't let third party Web browser developers have access to this feature, but you can easily enable it for third-party Web browsers with your choice of one out of two jailbreak tweaks.

We showed you Nitrous last year, which is now iOS 7 compatible and enables the Nitro JavaScript engine for third-party Web browsers like Chrome, but there's another option that's also now available. SpiritOfLogic has just released iWebBoost (also iOS 7-compatible), which will also enable the Nitro JavaScript engine for third-party Web browsers.

With one of these tweaks installed, you'll experience some noticeable JavaScript speed boosts on Web sites that are JavaScript-heavy. For example, with the iWebBoost tweak installed, we did a before and after comparison with the BrowserMark benchmark test and found some noticeable improvements in performance. Before installing the tweak, we scored 2352, and after installing the tweak we scored 2975.

The tweaks both work in several third-party Web browsers. Even the Facebook application's built-in Web viewer. With Nitrous, you can enable or disable the tweak for certain applications on demand, but iWebBoost is automatic for all supported Web browsers with no options to configure.

Both tweaks are available for 99 in Cydia's BigBoss repository and both seem to work perfectly as advertised. It all comes down to whether you want to configure your applications manually, or have all supported applications enabled to use the Nitro JavaScript engine automatically.

has anyone use both just to know wich one to buy since facebook is really slow on my iphone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crzyklr View Post
    has anyone use both just to know wich one to buy since facebook is really slow on my iphone 4
    I have Nitrous installed and love it, especially on iOS 7. Safari used to be insanely faster than Chrome, and I generally would use it if it wasn't for Chrome's cloud tabs... For some reason, once you jailbreak, Safari's cloud tabs don't work!

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    I have Nitrous installed and love it, especially on iOS 7. Safari used to be insanely faster than Chrome, and I generally would use it if it wasn't for Chrome's cloud tabs... For some reason, once you jailbreak, Safari's cloud tabs don't work!
    That's weird. Safari cloud tabs work for me.

Default Nitrous
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyklr View Post
    Ive been using nitrous and I see a huge difference with my facebook app, and well basically any app that need javascript, havent used iwepboost but looks like any of these two will definitely help u out

Default Nitrous
    You will get the same speed increase from both of these tweaks, but Nitrous has some extra features:

• You can turn it off (occasionally some apps/websites are incompatible with the Nitro engine)
    • You can choose to enable it for all apps, or only selected apps
    • You can toggle it with Activator actions or FlipSwitch switches

It also has a really helpful dev!

Disclaimer: That's me.

i tested both tweaks and iwebboost works better on my idevice. Got a score of 3535. pretty good i think!

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That's weird. Safari cloud tabs work for me.
    And you're jailbroken? Do you have multiple devices? The cloud tabs work fine between all your devices?