+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Apptray' Lets You Create Easy App Shortcuts in Notification Center for iOS 7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Chances are, you use some of your iOS applications more than others and could benefit from having shortcuts to certain applications. That's why iOS developer DarkMalloc created a new jailbreak
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default 'AppTray' Lets You Create Easy App Shortcuts in Notification Center for iOS 7

Chances are, you use some of your iOS applications more than others and could benefit from having shortcuts to certain applications. That's why iOS developer DarkMalloc created a new jailbreak tweak for iOS 7 called Apptray.

As shown above, Apptray adds a new tab to Notification Center labeled "Apptray" to the right of your missed notifications tab where you can place any applications that you want for easy access from just about anywhere.

You can place as many applications there as you want to; the developer made this feature unlimited. If you fill up the screen with application icons, you'll be able to scroll up or down vertically through Notification Center to look at all of your Apptray application icons. You can add shortcuts to App Store applications, Cydia applications, and even Apple's built-in applications.

Apptray adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure the tweak's settings:

The first option allows you to basically enable or disable Apptray on demand. The second option gives you the ability to have Apptray be the default tab that is always opened when you launch Notification Center. Under these two options, you'll find a slider where you can adjust the opacity of the application icons to your liking, and you'll find a cell for Applications, which you can tap on to enable and disable the application icons that you want to show in Apptray. Applications that are turned to the "on" position will appear in Apptray, while applications that are turned to the "off" position will not appear in Apptray.

Because Notification Center can be accessed from the Lock Screen, Home Screen, and even from within applications, this tweak gives you fast and easy access to any application from just about anywhere. If you attempt to open an application from Apptray from the Lock Screen and you have a passcode, you will be prompted to enter your passcode first, so there's no worry about security here.

We think Apptray is a beautifully streamlined way to add shortcuts to applications in iOS. If you want to give Apptray a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for $1.49. The tweak requires iOS 7, but works on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Name: Apptray
    Price: $1.49
    Version: 1.0-20
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.04
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: DarkMalloc
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-16-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks

can you make it so i can rearange the icons please

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ i agree it needs the option to rearrange the icons and also to put labels on it.. Nice app though looking forward for an early update

Thanks

does this work with NCObey?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    can you make it so i can rearange the icons please
    Good idea, I thought samething

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why is this limited to iOS 7? iOS 6 has a notification center as well. There's been a tweak called AppsCenter that's existed for a while, but this actually looks better. I really hate this pattern that I keep seeing of developers only writing new tweaks for iOS 7 and ignoring iOS 6. I'm not complaining about tweaks that are obviously only make sense in iOS 7 (or for the 5S, for finger print related tweaks) but many that have been showcased recently in the news section of this site don't need to be limited like that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

@uri8472 -- I certainly don't have the statistics, but I'd have to think the jailbroken iOS 6 community is a rapidly shrinking entity. If I was a developer I wouldn't be wasting my time ensuring backwards compatibility, particularly when the adoption rate of iOS 7 is so high.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    does this work with NCObey?
    welp, no answer but I went for it. NCObey works perfectly with this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nfsonofgod's Avatar
    Thanks

Does not prompt me to put in my pass code from lock screen but when I unlock my phone first then acces an app from nc then I can use it but I want to be able to access my apps from my lock screen without having to go to my sb running on the i5 7.0 any suggestions?

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    @uri8472 -- I certainly don't have the statistics, but I'd have to think the jailbroken iOS 6 community is a rapidly shrinking entity. If I was a developer I wouldn't be wasting my time ensuring backwards compatibility, particularly when the adoption rate of iOS 7 is so high.
    With all due respect, I don't think it's shrinking that fast. Further more, there are countless people on even older versions of iOS and I routinely see tweaks that claim to be compatible with iOS as far back as iOS 5, 4, sometimes even 3 or 2, depending on the tweaks. I don't seem to recall in the past that tweaks requiring the latest major iOS version coming out at the rate that they are now. Yes, there were tweaks that required a certain version due to something only being in that version (like all the NC related packages), but more often than not, tweaks that could work on older iOS versions generally did. Lastly, not everyone is so eager to just dump a perfectly good jail-broken iOS 6 setup and start over anew with iOS 7.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

@szr -- perhaps you're right, but iOS 7 was such a drastic re-write of iOS that I don't fault developers of the new tweaks from "abandoning" prior iterations. I had a wonderful iOS 6 JB setup myself, but it didn't stop me from wanting to move forward with the new iOS. I think most "techies" who enjoy this stuff would agree.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@szr -- perhaps you're right, but iOS 7 was such a drastic re-write of iOS that I don't fault developers of the new tweaks from "abandoning" prior iterations. I had a wonderful iOS 6 JB setup myself, but it didn't stop me from wanting to move forward with the new iOS. I think most "techies" who enjoy this stuff would agree.
    That's very easy to say, but you fail to consider that not all devices are able to run iOS 7 at all. Not to mention all the people who just don't want it. There are likely more people on iOS 6 and older than a lot of people realize. I don't think it bodes very well with the spirt of jail-breaking to artificially limit who can use tweaks that aren't using anything specific of the latest OS, which is a big complaint I've always seen against Apple and many AppStore apps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

@szr -- perhaps you're right, but iOS 7 was such a drastic re-write of iOS that I don't fault developers of the new tweaks from "abandoning" prior iterations. I had a wonderful iOS 6 JB setup myself, but it didn't stop me from wanting to move forward with the new iOS...
    ^ This ^

iOS 7.0.4 is finally the best iOS I have used on my iPhone 4's and 5's and iPads.

The faithful 3GS is still rocking along wonderfully on 5.1.1 though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    ^ This ^

iOS 7.0.4 is finally the best iOS I have used on my iPhone 4's and 5's and iPads.

The faithful 3GS is still rocking along wonderfully on 5.1.1 though.
    Is that an iPhone 4 or 4S? I ask because iOS 7 has gotten a big reputation for running like a slug on the iPhone 4 (and other devices of the same vintage or older that can run iOS 7), in stock form. I have witnessed this personally on at least half a dozen iPhone 4 devices that I'm been asked to inspect, due to said slowness.

IMHO, I have yet to see how iOS 7 has any real advantage over a perfectly good iOS 6 JB setup. Yes, for those who don't care for the flat and bleached look of iOS 7, there are JB tweaks for help get around that, but then again what's the point if one is already on iOS 6.

All the new features are great, though I can't help but feel like a lot of people have been upgrading just for the sake of upgrading and not because of any real gain over their previous JB setup, when a lot of us have had that functionality for a long time already, and that is why I find no real reason to upgrade. I am not against upgrading if there is a good reason, but I'm not going to do it just because everyone else is or just for the sake of it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zeppy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uri8472 View Post
    Is that an iPhone 4 or 4S? I ask because iOS 7 has gotten a big reputation for running like a slug on the iPhone 4 ... snip ...
    I am not against upgrading if there is a good reason, but I'm not going to do it just because everyone else is or just for the sake of it.
    Battery/Processor Consumption Hogs on iOS 7
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``
    Location Services
    System Services:
    Location-Based iAds, Popular Near Me, Setting Time Zone, Traffic, Frequent Locations.
    Diagnostics & Usage
    Siri (runs in the background all the time)
    Bluetooth
    Wi-Fi (esp if phone is not in range of wi-fi)
    Use 2G When Possible instead of 3G
    Cellular Data Connection In Bad Coverage Areas
    Background App Refresh
    Parallax
    Automatic Date / Time
    Push Mail / Push Notifications
    iCloud
    Running Background Apps
    Advertising Tracking
    Diagnostics & Usage Reporting
    FaceTime
    Automatic App Store Updates
    Automatic Downloads
    AirDrop Running
    iTunes Match

Turn off iCloud Cellular Usage and iCloud Storage & Backup
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````

Apple ships with iCloud data syncing over cellular networks ON by default.

BE ON WI-FI "BEFORE" YOU LOGIN TO ICLOUD & READ INFO BELOW AND BE ON WI-FI !!

Confirm cellular data use by iCloud is turned OFF by going to:

LOGIN TO ICLOUD
    Settings/iCloud/Documents & Data, (Toggle from Off to On to see the the 'Use Cellular' setting)
    - 'Use Cellular' should be turned OFF! (this prevents iCloud from using cellular data plan to sync data to/from iDevices)
    (Documents & Data can now be turned back off if you choose not to have Data sent to iCloud servers)

*TURN OFF EVERYTHING FOR NOW IN iCLOUD* (Unless you need to restore contacts, bookmarks etc)
    (turn back on item(s) as needed later)

Settings/iCloud/Storage & Backup:
    Turn OFF iCloud Backup (very important unless you want your entire phone uploaded to apple servers)

Settings/Wi-Fi: Turn Off 'Ask to Join Networks'
    Settings/Bluetooth: Turn OFF Bluetooth

Settings/Notification Center:
    Turn OFF: (Stocks... etc) under "Today View" Category
    Turn OFF specific Notifications (Stocks, Passbook, Game Center, Weather) in the Notification Center
    Turn off Gov't Alerts in Notification Center (iphone 5 bottom section)

Settings/General/About/Diagnostics & Usage
    Make sure that the “Automatically Send” is set to “Don’t Send.”

Settings/General/Spotlight Search: Turn all OFF or choose as needed. (less is better uses less ram/indexing)
    Settings/General/Text Size: Slide one position from middle to the right.
    Settings/General/Accessibility:
    Turn Zoom ON, Speak Selection ON (turn ON Enhanced Voice Quailty-downloads 271MB)
    Larger Type: Turn Larger Dynamic Type ON (set slider to sixth vertical mark)
    Turn Increase Contrast ON (reduce the transparency)
    Turn Reduce Motion ON
    Turn ON LED flash for Alerts (not on iPad)
    Incoming Calls SPEAKER (not on iPad)
    Turn Bold Text ON (reboot required)

Settings/General/Usage: Turn ON Battery Percentage (not on iPad)
    Settings/General/Background App Refresh: Turn OFF Background App Refresh
    Settings/General/Date & Time: Turn OFF 'Set Automatically'

Settings/Privacy/Location Services:
    Turn OFF all Apps (Camera, Maps, Weather, Find my Phone...etc.) or as desired

Settings/Privacy/Location Services/System Services:
    Turn OFF all System Services or as desired
    Turn ON Status Bar Icon
    Disable Frequent Locations (iPhone 5)
    Settings/Privacy/Advertising: Turn ON "Limit Ad Tracking"

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Fetch New Data:
    Turn OFF - Push (to save battery or leave on if wished)

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Mail:
    Preview: 4 lines
    Show To/Cc Label: ON
    Flag Style: SHAPE
    Ask before Deleting: ON
    Signature: Delete

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Contacts:
    Sort & Display Order: First/Last
    Short Name: OFF (unless you prefer simple single names used to for the mail sender)
    Prefer Nicknames: OFF
    My Info: None

Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Calendars
    Turn OFF Time Zone Support
    Default Alert Times: Set as desired
    Start Week On: Sunday

Settings/Notes: Set Default Account to "On My iPhone"

Under Settings/Messages:
    Turn ON iMessage and Send as SMS if iMessage is unavailable
    Turn ON Character Count

Under Settings/FaceTime: Turn OFF unless needed

Under Settings/Safari: Turn ON "Do Not Track"
    Smart Search Field: Turn OFF "Preload Top Hit"
    Reading List: Turn OFF "Use Cellular Data"

Settings/iTunes & App Store:
    Turn OFF "Show All Music Videos purchases (or leave on if purchased and want to see)
    Turn OFF iTunes Match

Settings/iTunes & App Store/Automatic Downloads:
    Turn OFF ALL: Music, Apps, Updates (leaving ON can slow things down, better to update manually)
    Turn OFF: "Use Cellular Data" (important for wide variety of reasons, can turn on if Wi-Fi is unavailable)

Settings/Photos & Camera:
    Turn OFF My Photo Stream
    Turn OFF Photo Sharing

Some iOS 7 tips and tweaks

Swipe tabs to left in Safari to close them or tap the 'x' on left of tab.
    Slide text message bubble to left to see time
    Can create pages 'within' folders.
    Tap on a date or time within a message to create calendar entry.
    Slide Compass screen to get a level function on phone.
    Use volume up rocker button on side of phone to take camera picture.
    Hold down on finger on screen to to lock the camera focus on part of screen
    You can create text shortcuts as well under accessibility ex: omw for "On my way"
    Incoming Call? Press power or volume up button to decline. Press volume down button to silent ring.

************************************************** *****************************
    http://goo.gl/jPeqdy
    iOS 7 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List
    ************************************************** *****************************

GOOD to put phone in Airplane Mode with only Wi-Fi on when installing Cydia Apps.
    (mainly due to all the springboard restarts which constantly makes/breaks tower connections to the cellphone carrier.)
    Last edited by zeppy; 01-23-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Battery/Processor Consumption Hogs on iOS 7
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``
    Location Services
    System Services:
    Location-Based iAds, Popular Near Me, Setting Time Zone, Traffic, Frequent Locations.
    Diagnostics & Usage
    Siri (runs in the background all the time)
    Bluetooth
    Wi-Fi (esp if phone is not in range of wi-fi)
    Use 2G When Possible instead of 3G
    Cellular Data Connection In Bad Coverage Areas
    Background App Refresh
    Parallax
    Automatic Date / Time
    Push Mail / Push Notifications
    iCloud
    Running Background Apps
    Advertising Tracking
    Diagnostics & Usage Reporting
    FaceTime
    Automatic App Store Updates
    Automatic Downloads
    AirDrop Running
    iTunes Match

Turn off iCloud Cellular Usage and iCloud Storage & Backup
    This is no different than previous iOS. I've tested iPhone 4's with and without all that enabled, and yes it runs better with all that turned off, but it's still felt sluggish compared to the same state with iOS 6.

Some iOS 7 tips and tweaks

Swipe tabs to left in Safari to close them or tap the 'x' on left of tab.
    Slide text message bubble to left to see time
    Can create pages 'within' folders.
    Tap on a date or time within a message to create calendar entry.
    Slide Compass screen to get a level function on phone.
    Use volume up rocker button on side of phone to take camera picture.
    Hold down on finger on screen to to lock the camera focus on part of screen
    You can create text shortcuts as well under accessibility ex: omw for "On my way"
    Incoming Call? Press power or volume up button to decline. Press volume down button to silent ring.
    I've had the same capabilities as you describe above.
    Since iOS 4 I've had folder in folders and with multiple pages inside any folder, nested or otherwise.
    Swiping tabs as having a grid of tabs on an iPhone and more than 8, since iOS 3.
    I've been able to hold "down on finger on screen to to lock the camera focus on part of screen" since iOS 4.
    Text shortcuts have been around since iOS 4 at least, if not 3.
    Using volume buttons for other functions, including handling calls as you describe, have been around for about as long as jail breaking.
    So what exactly was your point?

GOOD to put phone in Airplane Mode with only Wi-Fi on when installing Cydia Apps.
    (mainly due to all the springboard restarts which constantly makes/breaks tower connections to the cellphone carrier.)
    Never had this problem on iOS 6 or earlier.