+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'SwipeSelection Pro' Brings Better Text Editing to iOS, More Features Than the Original

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It’s no surprise that text editing on iOS can be extremely cumbersome. That’s why iOS developer Kyle Howells invented SwipeSelection , a jailbreak tweak that makes it easier to swipe
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'SwipeSelection Pro' Brings Better Text Editing to iOS, More Features Than the Original

It’s no surprise that text editing on iOS can be extremely cumbersome. That’s why iOS developer Kyle Howells invented SwipeSelection, a jailbreak tweak that makes it easier to swipe through words and characters, highlight text, and more. Simply swiping one way or the other over the keyboard moves the cursor, while swiping from the Shift key on either side of the keyboard allows you to select text.

The same developer has just released SwipeSelection Pro, a new version of the tweak, which has been completely re-written for iOS 7, and includes even more features and customization options in the Settings application.

You'll find the following preferences pane in the Settings application after you install the tweak:

From here, you can easily enable or disable the tweak on demand via a kill-switch, and you'll even be able to enable or disable the option to triple-tap on the Shift key to easily enable or disable SwipeSelection on demand right from the keyboard when it's open, but you'll also find some other interesting options for tailoring the tweak's sensitivity to your typing style.

For example, you can adjust the area of the keyboard that you want the swipes to register in. If you want to prevent gestures from causing keys to be accidentally pressed, you can make it so that gestures can only be performed on the Space Bar. You can even make it so that all gestures can only be performed above the Space Bar. If neither of these options sound good to you, you can make it so that gestures can be performed across the entire keyboard.

You'll also be able to adjust the sensitivity of the SwipeSelection Pro gestures. This gives you better control over when your keyboard will recognize your finger as trying to perform a gesture, or trying to tap on a keyboard key. The Swipe Speed option will let you choose how fast the cursor will move through text as you swipe across the keyboard – by default, this option is set to "Normal," but you can also choose between Slowest, Slower, Faster, or Fastest.

The final option you have is the ability to enable three-finger swiping to move to the beginning or to the end of a document, which is handy in word-processing applications like Pages when you might have a lot of text. This feature is recommended only for iPad users, because iPad users have a lot more room to swipe three fingers on the much larger keyboard, but it's entirely possible to use on an iPhone if you choose to enable it.

If you're looking to improve the text-editing experience in iOS, we would definitely recommend SwipeSelection Pro. It's compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit iOS devices. If you want to give it a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository for $1.99.

Name: SwipeSelection Pro
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 0.9.2-1
    Requirements: iOS 4+
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Kyle Howells
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-15-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fixed an error in operating system requirements as pointed out by a reader

Thanks

Using SwipeSelection right now and its great! If I decide I need those features I'll try the Pro version..so far so good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

I loved this tweak on my old 4S. One of my favorite tweaks. I think the sensitivity option would be good as I used to have some minor issues with it not doing what I wanted. I'd be curious to mess around with this but I don't have an iOS device any longer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok, why is it everyone of these posts that highlight cydia tweak updates always have "Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4" when in most cases this isn't true? For example, the page for this tweak clearly says "Compatible with iOS 4, 5, 6 and 7" ? I'm so sick of this misleading, and I've seen it on other tweaks too. I don't get why there are so many that actually do require it when they aren't using anything specific only to iOS 7. I can under the ones that utilize the finger print scanner and other iOS 7 specific things but for the others, there is no excuse.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    Ok, why is it everyone of these posts that highlight cydia tweak updates always have "Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4" when in most cases this isn't true? For example, the page for this tweak clearly says "Compatible with iOS 4, 5, 6 and 7" ? I'm so sick of this misleading, and I've seen it on other tweaks too. I don't get why there are so many that actually do require it when they aren't using anything specific only to iOS 7. I can under the ones that utilize the finger print scanner and other iOS 7 specific things but for the others, there is no excuse.
    I've only got iOS 7 devices to test on, so unless the Cydia description specifically says that the tweak works with older versions of iOS, I'm not going to write that the tweak works on older versions of iOS, because I haven't actually tested it to be sure. This protects all of our readers from accidentally installing something on their devices that may or may not be compatible. At least with the iOS versions I list, there is somewhat of a guarantee that it works.

In fact, I might change "Requirements" to "Tested on" just because of this, now that we have two current jailbreaks – p0sixspwn and evasi0n7.

In the case of this tweak, I made a mistake. Many tweaks being released right now are only for iOS 7, so the muscle memory in my fingers led me to accidentally write iOS 7.0-7.0.4. The article has been edited to properly display the correct requirements.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-15-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

Thank you kind sir.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    The reason in this case is that the page you linked to is for SwipeSelection, for iOS 4-7. The article is about SwipeSelection Pro, which indeed requires IOS 7. You cowed the author into incorrectly backing down and editing his article. Well done, sir.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
    The reason in this case is that the page you linked to is for SwipeSelection, for iOS 4-7. The article is about SwipeSelection Pro, which indeed requires IOS 7. You cowed the author into incorrectly backing down and editing his article. Well done, sir.
    I hadn't realize that there were two separate packages, and thus I never meant to confuse anyone; seems like a rather easy error to fall pray to. Although, I must wonder why, if the base package is compatible with multiple versions, why isn't the "Pro" version as well?

There seems to be no excuse this time as the author has demonstrated that he already made a multi-iOS release already. It really makes one wonder if there is some sort o hidden agenda going on here that's cause or driving so many developers to release iOS 7-only packages for programs that would otherwise run just fine on previous iOS versions (creating a artificial barrier), especially when it's already been proven that many programs that claim to be iOS 7-only will in act run on iOS 6 by downloading the deb manually and editing it's requirements, so what's really driving this?