+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'HD Enabler for YouTube' Lets You Change YouTube Video Quality on Cellular Networks

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The alert above is one of the most depressing alerts that a YouTuber can get on an iOS device. It's a huge let down when you have to deal with
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default 'HD Enabler for YouTube' Lets You Change YouTube Video Quality on Cellular Networks

The alert above is one of the most depressing alerts that a YouTuber can get on an iOS device. It's a huge let down when you have to deal with a low quality video just because you're on a cellular network. Google's free YouTube application from the App Store only lets you manually change the video quality when you're on a Wi-Fi network, and restricts you from being able to change the video quality when you're on a cellular network.

Today's modern cellular networks are more than capable of streaming high quality 720p or better video, and so, you should have the option to change it if you want to.

A new jailbreak tweak called HD Enabler for YouTube by iOS developer David Harkey will make it so that you can change the quality of any YouTube video that you choose to watch over a cellular network. The tweak will let you choose to stream your video in up to 720p quality while you're on a cellular network.

Once installed, you'll never have to worry about getting that annoying alert again. Instead, when you tap on the options button to change your video quality, you'll get the interface below:

Because you'll be streaming video in higher quality when you change the video settings, this also means that you'll be streaming more megabytes over your cellular network during the video than if you were to watch it in a lower quality. This means you'll want to be careful not to eat up too much of your data plan.

The tweak works perfectly for what it was intended to do, but it is on the pricey side of things for what it does. HD Enabler for YouTube is compatible with iPhone 4 and newer and iPad 2 and newer. The tweak has no options to configure. If you want to give the tweak a try, it's available for $1.99 in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: HD Enabler for YouTube
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.1.0-4
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4, YouTube
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: David Harkey
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Green Apple
    Thanks

whenever i try to download anything from cydia, it gives me "the requested modifications cannot be applied..." message, is anyone else having issues?

I have a GSM 5s on 7.0.4

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why I use McTube

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't know why you would pay $2 for this when you can spend just a little more and buy My3G which allows tricking of all apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The whole "eating through your data plan" is the reason why I have Sprint. Unlimited LTE in a mature Network Vision market is a pretty nice thing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quad104 View Post
    whenever i try to download anything from cydia, it gives me "the requested modifications cannot be applied..." message, is anyone else having issues?

I have a GSM 5s on 7.0.4
    Sounds like you could have possibly downloaded something that is incompatible at this time. Cydia will still allow you to download/install but your phone may not function properly after the fact. You may want to remove the last few tweaks and test. It is cumbersome but it may be the only way to fix other than restoring and starting from scratch. Good luck my friend.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This app should be free, or $0.99 a most. It doesn't do half of the things that ProTube Ext. can do ($2.99).

ProTube Ext is amazing. One of the biggest reasons I jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why would anyone pay $2 for HD Enabler for YouTube when YouTube no Ads/HQ3G (BigBoss repo) does it for free with identical functionality and the addition of ad removal?!