Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Create Custom Home Screen Layouts in iOS 7 for Free

Default How to Create Custom Home Screen Layouts in iOS 7 for Free

There seems to always be a demand for the ability to set home screen application icons in specific patterns, which Apple doesn't allow in stock iOS. Customizing your application icon layout in patterns means putting your application icons in different places across the home screen without the application icon automatically snapping back into the next available slot on your home screen, so you can have empty areas wherever you may want them. This is a common practice among many for placing application icons around widgets or theme items.

There are numerous options for placing your application icons anywhere you want to on your home screen to create unique patterns, but most of these options cost money. If you're an iOS 7 user and want to create custom home screen application icon layouts without the added price tag, you can take advantage of iBlank for iOS 7 by iOS developer dnederlof.

iBlank is well-known for its ability to create blank, transparent, and invisible application icons on your home screen. This new version of the application is meant specifically for iOS 7.

The invisible application icons that the application puts on your home screen can be put in between real application icons to create the illusion that you have blank spots in between your application icons. In turn, you can create all kinds of custom application icon layouts on your home screen to wrap around widgets, theme items, and more.

After you install iBlank for iOS 7, you will find a new application on the home screen called "iBlank." You will need to open this application, and from the application's interface, you can start making blank application icons to place on your home screen:

The application’s interface is really straightforward. You can choose the number of blank application icons that you want to add to the home screen via the spin box. Once you do, tap on the “Create Blank Icons” button, and you’ll be asked to confirm if you’re sure you want to do this. When you tap yes, the blank application icons will be added to your home screen, as shown below:

Once on your home screen, you're set to move them in between whatever application icons you want to in order to create the visual effect that you're looking for.

The developer notes that it's important that you uninstall any previous versions of iBlank that you might have installed before installing iBlank for iOS 7. Also, if you ever plan on uninstalling iBlank, you will need to use the "Restore Default App Icons" feature before you do so for a smooth uninstallation.

If you want to give iBlank for iOS 7 a try, you can download it for free from Cydia's ModMyi repository.

Name: iBlank for iOS 7
    Price: FREE
    Version: 5.0
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: dnederlof
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

iPhone? More like MyPhone fredHD's Avatar
    Thanks

I just use gridlock on iphone 5s I guess this one is a free option but I don't really like the idea of blanks

Homescreen designer FTW!!!

lol, teach us all how to old school theme PLEASE!!!!!!

I was using this method back before iBlank came out, creating blank icon apps

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-14-2014), Jato_BZ (01-14-2014), slim.jim (01-14-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    lol, teach us all how to old school theme PLEASE!!!!!!
    Lol, yea I used blanks and SpringJumps on my 3G iPhone with the iNav theme.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-14-2014), dsg (01-14-2014)

whenever i try to download anything from cydia, it gives me "the requested modifications cannot be applied..." message, is anyone else having issues?

I have a GSM 5s on 7.0.4

Gridlock 2.0

I used iblank before gridlock was updated, then iconoclasm. Now ive been using Homescreen Designer, works perfectly on my 5s.

I agree with all of those recommending GridLock. It's a great tweak, but it's also a paid tweak.

This article takes you through how to use a free alternative if you don't want to spend the money for GridLock or other alternatives to custom home screen application icon layouts.

We understand that not everyone is able to pay for jailbreak tweaks, and so free alternatives are always nice to have around .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

novadam (01-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 6,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Lol, yea I used blanks and SpringJumps on my 3G iPhone with the iNav theme.
    iNav, a blast from the past for sure. IMO reeco's vision with iNav changed the way we theme. Leaps and bounds above what anyone was doing at the time.

Cool tweak for free. Web clips?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

dsg (01-14-2014)

Old School way before GridLock.
    How about on the original iPhone when Jailbreaking first came about. When you installed a theme it would just change your icon images to cover the black wallpaper and create whatever the theme was

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kotin6006 For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 6,058 Posts

^ Installer and SummerBoard.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

dsg (01-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^ Installer and SummerBoard.
    Ah.. The good old days....
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,326 Times in 7,030 Posts

I remember when summerboard scrolled the springboard vertically. Also a cool little tweak called customize. Aah, memories.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    iNav, a blast from the past for sure. IMO reeco's vision with iNav changed the way we theme. Leaps and bounds above what anyone was doing at the time.

Cool tweak for free. Web clips?
    iNav was amazing at the time. A pain to setup those days but pretty damn cool. Back when folders were a tweak instead of built in.