+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Spectral' Adds a Blurred Album Art Background to the Lock Screen When Listening to Music

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you listen to a lot of music on your iOS device, you might want to take a look at this really cool new jailbreak tweak. Spectral by iOS developer
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Spectral' Makes the iOS 7 Lock Screen Cooler to Look At When Listening to Music

If you listen to a lot of music on your iOS device, you might want to take a look at this really cool new jailbreak tweak.

Spectral by iOS developer Adam Bell adds a nice touch to your iOS 7 lock screen, by colorizing the background of your lock screen to appear as a blurred version of the album artwork, as shown above.

It is slightly difficult to see the difference between the two without concentrating, but what this tweak does is replace the lock screen wallpaper behind the album art with an enlarged version of the album artwork, which has been blurred beyond recognition. You can slightly see in the image example above that the screenshot on the right takes the colors from the album art rather than colors from the lock screen wallpaper.

It's a very subtle change to the colors on the lock screen, and it's a very nice aesthetic touch to any iOS device filled with lots of different kinds of music.

Without Spectral, the lock screen shows the lock screen wallpaper image blurred behind the album art, instead of the blurred album artwork:

The tweak adds a simple preferences pane to the Settings application where you can easily enable or disable the tweak on demand:

If you want to grab Spectral for the cool effects that it gives your lock screen while listening to music, it's currently free on Cydia's BigBoss repository. Spectral is also open source, and if you're interested, you can view the source code on Github via this link.

Name: Spectral
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.1-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Adam Bell
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pointless

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Answer1o1 For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (01-09-2014), xWalmartCandyx (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    pointless
    Wot he said ^

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I agree. I'm sure someone went to a lot of time to design this tweak...I just don't know WHY

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What is the rating system on MMi based on? Coolness? Usefulness? Reliability? I honestly don't know how some of these tweaks earn a 4/5 or 5/5.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-12-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love that the title says 'cooler to look at' and the body says 'It is slightly difficult to see the difference between the two without concentrating'

iPhone? More like MyPhone interstink's Avatar
    Thanks

Before - After... Hmmmm Im missing something or am I?

I do like/respect all the people involved in the Dev. and this article, its hard for me to justify the time Anthony spent writing the post and certainly don't see why a developer would waste time on this unless they are just as anal as I am. Yet I still don't see it...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to interstink For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-12-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The look of it is actually not that bad guys. I like it specifically because I use a plain black wallpaper for my lock screen, so this changes it up when I'm listening to music. Im anal about all my songs having proper album covers, so this kind of compliments the effort I put in.

However the problem and the reason I uninstalled this, is that it's very laggy. Your iPhone becomes completely unresponsive for a couple seconds when you change songs as the tweak transitions itself from one album cover to the next.

It did take me a while to spot the difference in the before and after pictures. Could've done a better job with that..

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

He picked a bad choice of album art. It looks great. And the blurred music app does too.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-12-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by interstink View Post
    ...unless they are just as anal as I am.
    O.o wut

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

this already comes standard when you install BlurredMusicApp from Cydia, which is a lot better IMO

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    O.o wut
    "Anal" in this context refers to the second stage of Sigmund Freud's theory of psychosexual development. He argued that parental conflict during this stage could result in the child developing an anal-retentive personality in adult life which is closely associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

It's now a commonality to hear the term "anal" as a reference to aspects of OCD such as wanting things to look clean and tidy