+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Planning Iris Scanner to Outshine TouchID

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Samsung Planning Iris Scanner to Outshine TouchID

Think Apple's TouchID is the strongest force for mobile security in the land of mainstream smartphones? Samsung wants to change some opinions on this topic and will purportedly use its forthcoming Galaxy S5 handset to do so.

The South Korean tech behemoth is said to be working on futuristic iris recognition technology. Samsung is expected to release its next-gen flagship smartphone during or before the month of April. For the time being, however, Samsung hasn't confirmed the deployment of eye scanner technology in the new phone. But we hear that's what the folks at Samsung are diligently working on today.

“We’ve been announcing our first flagship model in the first half of each year, around March and April, and we are still targeting for release around that time,” said Lee Young Hee, executive VP of the company’s mobile business. “When we release our S5 device, you can also expect a Gear successor with more advanced functions, and the bulky design will also be improved.”

Clearly, Samsung wants to take a serious shot at Apple's surge in prominence in the realm of smartphone security, a reputation earned in response to the company's introduction of fingerprint scanning tech in the fall 2013 release of iPhone 5s.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks

By the time they catch up to that one improvement, Apple will be showcasing one or two more things in the iPhone 6. We all know it will be redisigned and have a larger screen. Its what we don't know that will keep us interested and salivating for the next enhancement. Correct me if im wrong :]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-09-2014), dwizurd (01-09-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea, because I want to bring my phone up to my face and stare into it to unlock it. It'll be laggy and work 70% of the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedomcmillan For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (01-09-2014)

Thanks

How am I supposed to unlock my phone using my eye to text while driving?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (01-10-2014)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tedomcmillan View Post
    Yea, because I want to bring my phone up to my face and stare into it to unlock it. It'll be laggy and work 70% of the time.
    Took the words right out of my mouth lmao. I can just see someone holding big note3 up to there face to scan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it works like Htc One Max touch Id... No thanks... And it's really stupid to stare everytime you want to unlock it... Apple needs to do only one thing to destroy all other brands.. Bigger display... :-)))

Thanks

Shows even more how little they actually "get it".

iPhone? More like MyPhone ABOSWORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

It will be kind of cool to play with and if it works for play store purchases, then it will be useful. For me, I don't like having a password or any other gimmicky way to unlock my phone other than swiping.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    How am I supposed to unlock my phone using my eye to text while driving?
    LMFAO! Well, you shouldn't be texting and driving anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about when your in a dark room or wearing sunnies...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dsjarvis For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (01-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
    It will be kind of cool to play with and if it works for play store purchases, then it will be useful. For me, I don't like having a password or any other gimmicky way to unlock my phone other than swiping.

LMFAO! Well, you shouldn't be texting and driving anyway.
    The finger print scanner actually makes it easier to open you phone than a swipe. That's the point of it, convenience and simple security. An eye scanner is not convenient... Hence why I said Samsung doesn't get it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What about people with prescription glasses?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 5,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    By the time they catch up to that one improvement, Apple will be showcasing one or two more things in the iPhone 6. We all know it will be redesigned and have a larger screen. Its what we don't know that will keep us interested and salivating for the next enhancement. Correct me if im wrong :]
    Couldn't agree more.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

They would have to make serious leaps and bounds in retina scan technology for this to work on a smartphone. Could you imagine trying to pull off a clean retina scan using a hand-held device in a dark room?? Seems like it would be nearly impossible to do, and do with the accuracy and consistency needed to make it work well enough to even be considered for a consumer smartphone!

I personally prefer my Touch ID. It’s very secure and I can unlock my phone before I even have it out of my pocket to look at, so it’s extremely fast and convenient.

But boy I can’t wait for the tinfoil hat conspirators who complained about their fingerprint being picked up by the NSA to apologize for this even more intrusive piece of tech!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

dwizurd (01-09-2014)

Thanks

Like I really want my cell phone scanning my head! It's another NSA plot!!!

Gainesville, FL (The Swamp, only Gators get out ALIVE!!)
    Thanks

I find the fingerprint ID very practical, but retina scanner would be cool to see!!! And you know our society when it comes to electrical "toys", practical use is not the first thing on priority... Let the competition commence!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    They would have to make serious leaps and bounds in retina scan technology for this to work on a smartphone. Could you imagine trying to pull off a clean retina scan using a hand-held device in a dark room?? Seems like it would be nearly impossible to do, and do with the accuracy and consistency needed to make it work well enough to even be considered for a consumer smartphone!

I personally prefer my Touch ID. It’s very secure and I can unlock my phone before I even have it out of my pocket to look at, so it’s extremely fast and convenient.

But boy I can’t wait for the tinfoil hat conspirators who complained about their fingerprint being picked up by the NSA to apologize for this even more intrusive piece of tech!
    LOL "tinfoil hat conspirators" already tried to rip it apart the day after TouchID was announced. Then some German security group was able to bypass it by making a phony finger print, but the equipment and steps to follow were insane and not for the average consumer or thief to make a quick buck.

As far as finger prints? I was in the Army, so they have all 10 plus DNA, so I really don't care!

desconocido
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,165 Times in 2,365 Posts

Iris scanner? as stupid as the TouchID...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its funny that you people actually think that fingerprint scanner is secure. It uses old scanner technology , doesn't look for depth in your fingerprint and can be by passed with something as simple scotch tape.

Thanks

Tried the scotch tape trick. Doesn't work. But there have been issues with unlocking with cold or damp fingers. If you use a BioLock on other apps it can be a PITA because the app doesn't give you the option of keying in a password if the finger scan fails.

Thanks

What next, blood?😱

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dapes For This Useful Post:

Dphillipds (01-10-2014)