+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Programming Group "whited00r" Continues to Tweak Apple's iOS 3.1.3 with New Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Programming Group "whited00r" Continues to Tweak Apple's iOS 3.1.3 with New Features

Even as Apple’s first- and second-generation iPhone and iPod Touch devices gain a “vintage” status, the programming group “whited00r” is working to bring many of iOS’ latest features, such as Control Center, to the older devices. The group is responsible for production of the “whited00r” firmware, which is a heavily modified version of Apple’s iOS 3.1.3 that mimics the look-and-feel of newer iOS versions on devices that Apple no longer officially supports. The firmware is targeted at Apple’s first-generation iPhone, the iPhone 3G and the first- and second-generation iPod Touch.

Currently, whited00r 7, which is the most recent release of their firmware, is designed to emulate many of iOS 7’s standout features. Control Center makes an appearance as does a new iOS 7-style camera app and multitasking view. The firmware’s push notification feature has been updated to mimic Apple’s latest “windowshade” design and iOS’ legacy Voice Control feature has been brought back. Aside from these additions, iOS 7’s visual tweaks such as flatter icons and new menu designs have also been backported in whited00r 7. Users who find a specific item performing poorly on their device are given the option to enable and disable individual features with a special settings menu.

Installing whited00r on a supported device is a pretty straight-forward three-step process. After jailbreaking an iOS device with the popular Redsn0w utility, users load whited00r’s custom firmware using iTunes after which restarting the device completes the installation.

For those of you who didn’t know, whited00r first appeared in 010 as a project to backport new iOS 4 features to devices running iOS 3 and has maintained a small but devoted following since that time. According to download statistics from open source code hosting service, Sourceforge, the whited00r 7 firmware has been downloaded tens of thousands of time since its release already.

Have any of you tried out whited00r 7?

Source: whited00r via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (01-01-2014)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

This is awesome.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-01-2014), wiipro (01-01-2014)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Time to open my drawer and dust off my 2g))

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vartanarsen For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

By the time I moved from my 3G to a 4, the poor little 3G was struggling. Really slow. No way it would still be working now. Bless it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

BhadKarma (01-02-2014), Cmds187 (01-01-2014), iH85CH001 (01-01-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

Even as Apple’s first- and second-generation iPhone and iPod Touch devices gain a “vintage” status, the programming group “whited00r” is working to bring many of iOS’ latest features, such as Control Center, to the older devices. The group is responsible for production of the “whited00r” firmware, which is a heavily modified version of Apple’s iOS 3.1.3 that mimics the look-and-feel of newer iOS versions on devices that Apple no longer officially supports. The firmware is targeted at Apple’s first-generation iPhone, the iPhone 3G and the first- and second-generation iPod Touch.

Currently, whited00r 7, which is the most recent release of their firmware, is designed to emulate many of iOS 7’s standout features. Control Center makes an appearance as does a new iOS 7-style camera app and multitasking view. The firmware’s push notification feature has been updated to mimic Apple’s latest “windowshade” design and iOS’ legacy Voice Control feature has been brought back. Aside from these additions, iOS 7’s visual tweaks such as flatter icons and new menu designs have also been backported in whited00r 7. Users who find a specific item performing poorly on their device are given the option to enable and disable individual features with a special settings menu.

Installing whited00r on a supported device is a pretty straight-forward three-step process. After jailbreaking an iOS device with the popular Redsn0w utility, users load whited00r’s custom firmware using iTunes after which restarting the device completes the installation.

For those of you who didn’t know, whited00r first appeared in 010 as a project to backport new iOS 4 features to devices running iOS 3 and has maintained a small but devoted following since that time. According to download statistics from open source code hosting service, Sourceforge, the whited00r 7 firmware has been downloaded tens of thousands of time since its release already.

Have any of you tried out whited00r 7?

Source: whited00r via AppleInsider
    Used whited00r before on a couple devices for people in the last few years. Now to see if I have enough parts on my desk to put together a functioning 3g(s) Pretty good "sauce" with the Ipsw's they provide. Glad to see they are still @ it. 👍

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

A full list of iOS 7 features put in (or things changed from stock 3.1.3 and from the past whited00r 6) for anyone interested:
    Whited00r 7 Introduction - What's new and how to use WD7

Thanks

This is...something. I wanted to say idiotic but I won't.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

So I could of kept my original iPhone and saved all these upgrade cost!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (01-01-2014)

Thanks

I've been using whited00r of a long time now. Was running the iOS 6 version of it. I must say it works really well. Kept my iPhone (original) working like a charm! Pretty fast and fluid too. Might try this 7 version out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Maybe I'll break out my Atari system also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Maybe I'll break out my Atari system also.
    I'll play u a game of Pong. Lol
    IPhone 5s....
    First MacBook Pro 13" I7 2.8Ghz with win7
    1 rooted Thrive
    08 Chevy 2500HD LTZ
    06 Dyna Lowrider
    40ft Raptor toyhauler

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have 3 phones

3gs JB and unlocked 6.1.3 this phone is only 8gb and an older full install of navigon US you can use with no signal worth it for some of trips on road so only 2.5 gb left after everything I need on it

4 JB Unlocked 7.0.4 16gb
    5 JB 7.0.4 16gb

Maybe try it on the 3gs later…
    Last edited by WHUDS; 01-01-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks

Man, makes me want an original iPhone now. My dad's boss didn't get rid of his original till the 4S!

Thanks
    If I knew they would be operational this long, I would have never sold my 2G for pennys.

Thanks

Whited00r 5 ran fine on my iPod 1st gen. I installed whited00r 7 about a week ago, and while aesthetically pleasing (complete with Control Center), I find it much slower. I am happy though that people haven't forgot about those of us still running older iDevices. As much as I love Apple they don't work off the philosophy that 'If it ain't broke- don't fix it'.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsquaredson View Post
    Whited00r 5 ran fine on my iPod 1st gen. I installed whited00r 7 about a week ago, and while aesthetically pleasing (complete with Control Center), I find it much slower. I am happy though that people haven't forgot about those of us still running older iDevices. As much as I love Apple they don't work off the philosophy that 'If it ain't broke- don't fix it'.

Try disabling Sara and the iOS 7 App Switcher, they have memory leaks.