+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pod2g: p0sixspwn Burns Valuable Exploit that Could Have Been Used for Future Jailbreaks

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
While many will be happy to hear about the newly-released p0sixspwn iOS 6.1.3, iOS 6.1.4, and iOS 6.1.5 untethered jailbreak by iOS hackers iH8sn0w and Winocm, it would appear that
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Pod2g: p0sixspwn Burns Valuable Exploit that Could Have Been Used for Future Jailbreaks

While many will be happy to hear about the newly-released p0sixspwn iOS 6.1.3, iOS 6.1.4, and iOS 6.1.5 untethered jailbreak by iOS hackers iH8sn0w and Winocm, it would appear that the release is somewhat of a disappointment for pod2g, one of the well-known iOS hackers behind the evad3rs iOS hacker team that released the untethered iOS 7.0-iOS 7.0.4 jailbreak known as evasi0n7.

According to pod2g, p0sixspwn appears to use up a valuable root exploit that pod2g claims could have been used in future versions of iOS. It's also noted that it was an exploit found by comex.

iOS hacker pimskeks also notes that iH8sn0w and Winocm had at least two other exploits that could have been used instead of this one:

With less exploits available for future jailbreaks on future versions of iOS, this means that hackers will have to work harder to make up for lost exploits by finding more. This means that more time will be required, and this contributes to the long wait times for users in the jailbreak community.

There doesn't appear to be any official response from iH8sn0w or Winocm just yet.

Sources: pod2g
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2013 at 09:31 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Azjonnyg's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would you perpetuate something that is destructive to the community. This isn't news, you're the TMZ of the jailbreak sources.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (12-30-2013), Feanor64 (12-30-2013), NewdestinyX (12-30-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

We'll by the time iOS 8 comes out idk why anyone would wanna be on ios6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    huh? it's an exploit that carried over into iOS 7 and that might have persisted beyond. now apple knows about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

The point is, this exploit 'might' have been used for an iOS 8 jailbreak. Now Apple will patch it...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    With less exploits available for future jailbreaks on future versions of iOS,
    this means that hackers will have to work harder to make up for lost exploits by finding more.
    This means that more time will be required, and this contributes to the long wait times for users in the jailbreak community.
    This also means the more hackers would be looking the faster a new JB exploit would be found.
    Sad fact remains that millions rely on the efforts of less then a handful of hackers.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (12-30-2013), King_O_Hill (12-30-2013), metaserph (12-30-2013)

Thanks

Maybe the evaders should've made the jailbreak. They could've used the same exploits that they used for iOS 7.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Maybe because Apple builds quality products and iPod 4 and 3GS are still running fine and will be running fine for years. (my 2G is still in active duty on 3.1.3!!!).
    iOS 6.1.3 is the end of the firmware line for them. To have a JB for that firmware is invaluable, as it allows endless restores.
    Not everybody has money to burn and needs to have to latest Apple product in order to put it into a cupboard for month until a JB has been found.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-30-2013), King_O_Hill (12-30-2013), LittleGod (12-31-2013), metaserph (12-30-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azjonnyg View Post
    Why would you perpetuate something that is destructive to the community. This isn't news, you're the TMZ of the jailbreak sources.
    So the people responsible will be known around as utter fools and then maybe next time they'll think more carefully before doing such a detrimental thing like this. By releasing this 6.1.5 JB, they helped SOME people but ultimately hurt the majority of us.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JPili For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (12-30-2013)

Thanks

Mmi didn't create this news. They just report it.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (12-30-2013), buggsy2 (12-30-2013), iH85CH001 (12-30-2013), King_O_Hill (12-30-2013), LittleGod (12-31-2013), PokemonDesigner (12-30-2013), rwpeary (12-30-2013), Sage I (12-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

I thought they (ih8snow and winocm) said the exploits they were using for this were closed in iOS7? Wasn't that the whole point of them even doing it? Why move forward with it and burn a whole other exploit? Doesn't make sense to me, unless they didn't realize it hadn't been patched in iOS7 after all, in which case...oops lol.

If this is indeed true I would say this is very news worthy as it affects future jailbreaks.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (12-30-2013), King_O_Hill (12-30-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Such a waste of resources! I work in the Cyber industry and I can tell you this is something you should save until you really need it. But it is what it is. No point in complaining about it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rockyseay For This Useful Post:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Maybe because Apple builds quality products and iPod 4 and 3GS are still running fine and will be running fine for years. (my 2G is still in active duty on 3.1.3!!!).
    iOS 6.1.3 is the end of the firmware line for them. To have a JB for that firmware is invaluable, as it allows endless restores.
    Not everybody has money to burn and needs to have to latest Apple product in order to put it into a cupboard for month until a JB has been found.
    @pod2g
    . @DoubleYou_dev of course, but they could have used the same injection vector as ours?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,447 Times in 4,290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Ras, I can't agree with you here.. There is no such thing as endless restores to 6.1.3.. since it's no longer being signed by Apple. Even SHSH blobs won't help you from what I understand. Is there something I'm missing in your point? If you're referring to a tethered JB possible because of the bootrom exploit in 3GS and 4.. well that's pretty useless to most. And why would you ever want to restore to ios6 on those devices when iOS 4 and 5 were so much more stable and fast on them with loads of tweaks available.

Correct my thinking here..if I'm missing something.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

I just think the reporting of it is perpetuating the rift amongst the jailbreakers. This is twitter name calling and mud slinging, that if exacerbated WILL lead to some news worthy of reporting (not good). I just think its very gossip column, and maybe MMI should wait to post things that may prove to be detrimental to progress, depending on how people react when they are obviously on edge ATM. Do you really want to rally up the entitled, ignorant, demanding sect of the jailbreak community and make them aware of this? We all know that those idiots get under the devs skin, it alienates those thankful, patient, and helpful members of the community who are vastly outnumbered by the idiots. I just think maybe the mud slinging should be ignored in hopes that it doesn't get worse. Maybe it's just the anxiety I'm getting from all this twitter feuding.

Edited for grammar and clarity
    Last edited by Azjonnyg; 12-30-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,447 Times in 4,290 Posts

Do you really want to rally up the entitled, ignorant, demanding sect of the jailbreak community and make them aware of this? We all know that those idiots get to those who create the jailbreaks that the thankful, patient, and helpful members of the community are vastly outnumbered. I just think maybe the mud slinging should be ignored in hopes that it doesn't get worse. Maybe it's just the anxiety I'm getting from all this twitter feuding.
    Lol.. Boy I couldn't agree with you more… And I love your first sentence there. So true!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (12-30-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why communication is required, even if you aren't working together. You are both doing a similar project but Evad3rs are just better and newer. They should've talked to those bafoons to make sure they didn't do anything stupid like that. Why would those newbies be allowed to even work on JailBreaks anymore? I understand you're new but seriously, at least talk to people who know what they are doing before doing such a thing like that. Not to mention, why are people still worrying about iOS 6 so much (not counting the people who can't get iOS 7)? It's not great. iOS 7 is, in my opinion, the only actually great iOS they've ever created. iOS 6 was only just starting to go into the right direction. And if you say looks and you're worrying about jailbreak, you can just use WinterBoard to change the look back. Don't use that trash excuse cause it ain't gonna work.
    Last edited by PokemonDesigner; 12-30-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks

Why would you filter news so only happy-face tripe is published?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Why would you filter news so only happy-face tripe is published?
    Its not news it's gossip

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

But the reporting of it is perpetuating the rift amongst the jailbreakers. This is twitter name calling and mud slinging that if exacerbated will lead to some news worthy of reporting. I just think its very gossip column, and maybe you should wait to post things that may be detrimental depending on how people react. Do you really want to rally up the entitled, ignorant, demanding sect of the jailbreak community and make them aware of this? We all know that those idiots get to those who create the jailbreaks that the thankful, patient, and helpful members of the community are vastly outnumbered. I just think maybe the mud slinging should be ignored in hopes that it doesn't get worse. Maybe it's just the anxiety I'm getting from all this twitter feuding.
    They are perpetuating the rift just fine all by themselves. Story here isn't going to change that or what happens because of it. There are a lot more people watching them on twitter than there are that will read this story. If this was just back and forth bickering I would agree with you that it shouldn't be news worthy. The burning of possible future exploits is most definitely news worthy though on a site dedicated to jailbreaking.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (12-30-2013), buggsy2 (12-30-2013), PokemonDesigner (12-30-2013), Sage I (12-30-2013)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast