Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IBM Says iOS Destroyed Android Over The Holidays

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default IBM Says iOS Destroyed Android Over The Holidays

On Thursday, IBM reported on the shopping trends observed on Christmas this year, and it was profoundly positive news for Apple.

IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark found that iOS wholly dominated Android during the holidays. Just how dominant, you ask? As a percentage of total online sales, IBM reports, iOS was more than five times higher than Android, driving 23 percent vs. 4.6 percent for Android.

On average, iOS users spent $93.94 per order, nearly twice that of Android users, who spent $48.10 per order. iOS also led as a component of overall traffic with 32.6 percent vs. 14.8 percent for Android.
    IBM's data is believed to be generally comprehensive and accurate as it's derived from the cloud-based IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark, which tracks "millions of transactions" and analyzes terabytes of raw data from approximately 800 retail locations across the United States.

Apple's retail shopping success (vs. Android), at least in part, was driven by the overall strength of the smartphone market.

"Smartphones drove 28.5 percent of all online traffic compared to tablets at 18.1 percent, making it the browsing device of choice," today's report reads. "When it comes to making the sale, tablets drove 19.4 percent of all online sales, more than twice that of smartphones, which accounted for 9.3 percent. Tablet users also averaged $95.61 per order, versus smartphone users, who averaged $85.11 per order."

Source: IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not surprising at all.

I think the android cheap tablet wave is over. People are starting to see there isn't any quality in those tablets comparable to apple's products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (12-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    Not surprising at all.
    Given the cost of iOS hardware (higher than avg prices quoted per order), a large component of the study must have been software. The fact that the IOS ecosystem (trap) is generally more expensive than others probably supports the statistics. With the apple ecosystem, once you are in it, it is pretty difficult if not impossible to exit without a determined effort (file formats, connectivity, architecture). It's amazing that the faithful simply ignored the last changes implemented to the peripheral connections aka, lack of data connectivity/mobility etc etc etc. You can bet the deeper you get into it, the more like quicksand it becomes - Mom isn't buying those 5 M4V movies again sand the apple TV is the only thing that plays them. There must be tens of millions of apple docking stations, alarm clocks etc etc lying around with old connectors. Well it's Christmas and Uncle Barry doesn't' know what to get little nephew Johnny and the kung fu GI Joe with the chopping action just isn't cutting it anymore - here little johnny… an iTunes card and a new alarm clock so you remember to get up for school. Don't miss your tree forestry study class.

The fact that IOS is technologically behind and the hardware is well…pretty at best (subjective), seems to elude most. Our (US) consumers are like flocks of sheep and tend to follow one another. Long live Tim Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post
    Given the cost of iOS hardware (higher than avg prices quoted per order), a large component of the study must have been software. The fact that the IOS ecosystem (trap) is generally more expensive than others probably supports the statistics. With the apple ecosystem, once you are in it, it is pretty difficult if not impossible to exit without a determined effort (file formats, connectivity, architecture). It's amazing that the faithful simply ignored the last changes implemented to the peripheral connections aka, lack of data connectivity/mobility etc etc etc. You can bet the deeper you get into it, the more like quicksand it becomes - Mom isn't buying those 5 M4V movies again sand the apple TV is the only thing that plays them. There must be tens of millions of apple docking stations, alarm clocks etc etc lying around with old connectors. Well it's Christmas and Uncle Barry doesn't' know what to get little nephew Johnny and the kung fu GI Joe with the chopping action just isn't cutting it anymore - here little johnny… an iTunes card and a new alarm clock so you remember to get up for school. Don't miss your tree forestry study class.

The fact that IOS is technologically behind and the hardware is well…pretty at best (subjective), seems to elude most. Our (US) consumers are like flocks of sheep and tend to follow one another. Long live Tim Apple.
    There's always at least one person who doesn't like the numbers being in Apple's favor, so they come up with some excuse to make it sound like it wasn't Apple's great hardware/software that made the numbers so high...The fact is, people enjoy Apple products, doesn't matter why they do, as long as it makes them happy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post

Thanks for stopping by and entertaining us. That said, the folks over at android central are awaiting your return. Oh, and cool story, dude!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stolenpentium For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (12-27-2013)

Apple hardware is still the best. I don't really like Apple software, but I'd rather deal with crappy software than crappy hardware.

Give it a month there will be a report about android surpassing apple in every way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Come on now y'all! All I own is apple but you can't for the life of me tell me when have the best hardware!

Thanks

First off, i think it's funny that no matter HOW well Apple does..people will ALWAYS Diss them. Second...Apple Products are just as much FUN..to play with as they are Aesthetically Pleasing, Android devices..have a Sorta of Cheap Plastic feel, which for some is ok..i suppose, if you care more for software & not hardware knock yourself out, BUT..the third point is, iOS isn't complicated like Android OS is..i know this because I own BOTH..and iPhone5 & SSGL4. Now although the SSG is a nice phone...i find it's OS..a Bit complicated from time to time..not like iOS where it's simple and functional, not to mention it's all about the Apps & simply put...Google Play isn't going to over take iTunes anytime soon & by that i mean 5-10years. Everyone has their Fav, & it just so happens that Apple is IT. Again Almost ALL Consumers whom aren't as TECH Savy as Others will lean to which EVER phone their Carrier pushes them to...while others are word of mouth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kenzodragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Give it a month there will be a report about android surpassing apple in every way.
    Go home, you're drunk
    Follow me on Twitter: @yuki_o7

I just don't get it.

I had everything apple. Computers, tablets, phones, accessories. When I got a wild hair, I bought a Note 2 a year ago and as far as phones are concerned, I'll never look back. The specs just beat Apple (look at the note 3 now). I still like the computers and tablets by Apple.

The back might be plastic, but I have a huge 9300 mah battery, SD card, gigs of ram, overclocking and undervolted. The Note 4 is rumored to have an upgraded exterior.

Competition is healthy!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HomieG35 For This Useful Post:

rickuk (12-27-2013)

Thanks

Not only is Apple the "peoples champ" they are statistically superior. #'s don't lie..excuses are easily exposed as seen above.

So all it says is that Apple owners spent more on online shopping than Android owners online by using their device. As Apple devices are more expensive that the typical Android device sounds like the owners had more disposable income to spent on tat than savey Android owners who searched around for bargin prices

I'm not actually anti-apple. I admire the success of Apple and Steve Jobs efforts.

I also agree with HomieG35. I keep a macbook air and and macbook pro because windows does on the computer platform what IOS does in the mobile segment. Maybe I'm just a fan of more open source and don't like being leveraged in the apple Eco-system. Android is following suit in some regards but at least there is more choice.

I also went to a Note 2 before getting a Note 3 and a Nexus 7. I just find that google android integrates many things better than IOS. And last but not least - choice of product. Take a look at the functionality of a note 3, Moto X, Xperia Z or any other android smart phone. Look at the price point/capability of the Nexus 7 tablet. Really hard to beat.

Not anti apple just practical and aware.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchingnumbers For This Useful Post:

rasputin007 (12-27-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I think the android cheap tablet wave is over. People are starting to see there isn't any quality in those tablets comparable to apple's products
    Apples hardware quality is better then Android, however Apples hardware specs are below Android.
    Same story on software, iOS is very stable (until jailbroken), Android can be unstable, but you would have the same with iOS if there were as many custom iOS firmwares versions as there are with Android.
    If I look at software features, then iOS is lightyears behind Android. Multi-user, impossible on an iPad, Android no problem what so ever. Choice of operating system: Apple - no choice, one version and that's it! Complete different on Android side, thanks to multirom I can choose if I want to work with stock Android, cyanogenmod, Ubuntu Touch or what ever.
    But as always it is simply personal choice and I love the freedom to choose and mod the phone/tablet OS more then brand names.

I think most of you are missing the point of the article: ios device owners SPENT MORE MONEY WHEN SHOPPING THIS SEASON. The article isn't clear if it's through only he App Store or iTunes or Amazon or whatever. What is clear is that people with ios devices have more money to spend than people with android devices. And that's about as startling as saying that BMW owners spend more money than Honda owners.

Before when i go out on the street i see 2 out 3 people carry the iphone but now it is opposite 2 out 3 people carry the samsung,you know the truth but you can't handle the truth and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Before when i go out on the street i see 2 out 3 people carry the iphone but now it is opposite 2 out 3 people carry the samsung,you know the truth but you can't handle the truth and that's the truth.
    I think you need to do more research. Out of how many people all together?

Where I live it's always 2 out if 3 people using an iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast