Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Menu Button Emulator' Adds a Software Home Button to Your iOS Device

Default 'Menu Button Emulator' Adds a Software Home Button to Your iOS Device

For those of you dealing with a situation where your home button is busted or unresponsive (common in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s), then you’ve probably been waiting for a halfway decent way to regain that functionality back. After all, the home button is used for important things, such as getting out of an application or getting into the App Switcher.

A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed Menu Button Emulator by iOS developer Vatsal Manot adds a software version of a home button to your iOS device. The little software home button floats around on your screen, as shown in the screenshots above, and you can drag it to wherever on the display that you want it to be. It also has a nice iOS 7-style flat appearance.

Tapping on it will close out of an application, and tapping and holding on it will open the App Switcher. Unfortunately, for Siri-enabled devices, the tweak doesn't appear to offer a way to open Siri like the home button can. Fortunately, the tweak seems to offer a very solid and reliable way of getting around your iOS device.

If you want to give Menu Button Emulator a try, whether you have a broken home button or you just think the idea of a software home button is cool, you will find the tweak in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now for free. The tweak doesn't have any options to configure.

Name: Menu Button Emulator
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-25
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Vatsal Manot
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

NOTE: MobileSubstrate isn't ready for the 64-bit architecture yet, nor are many jailbreak tweaks, including this one. Install on 32-bit devices only until further notice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Menu button disappear after the first reboot. Messes up other tweak like Purge, making it inoperable.

Doesn't AssistiveTouch make this tweak completely useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Feeuq View Post
    It's an alternative to that option.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Menu button disappear after the first reboot. Messes up other tweak like Purge, making it inoperable.
    Rebooting will mess around with Mobile Subrate, which isn't fully compatible yet. So you'll need to reinstall Mobile Substrate, and the tweak after rebooting.

When I was playing with it, it didn't mess up any of my installed tweaks. I was using SwipeSpring though, and not Purge.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.

I've been thinking this would happen forever. OMG. I was about to write one.

You know I'm loving all these new tweaks... But you know what I would love more? Mobile substrate to be updated to support the 64 bit A7 so I can actually tweak my 5s -_-

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    You know I'm loving all these new tweaks... But you know what I would love more? Mobile substrate to be updated to support the 64 bit A7 so I can actually tweak my 5s -_-
    The evad3rs released this jailbreak with no warning whatsoever. Even Saurik was surprised. So how do you expect Saurik to have an update for Mobile Substrate ready so soon? This takes time and lots of testing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feeuq View Post
    Well it's right there when you need it. You have to dig for it through assistive touch so this could be a bit more convenient for users with busted home buttons and wvwrything else works fine

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The evad3rs released this jailbreak with no warning whatsoever. Even Saurik was surprised. So how do you expect Saurik to have an update for Mobile Substrate ready so soon? This takes time and lots of testing.
    Saurik said he seeded them an updated build on sept. 30th... It was the evad3rs being nieve, not Saurik just not working

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    Saurik said he seeded them an updated build on sept. 30th... It was the evad3rs being nieve, not Saurik just not working
    Doesn't mean it was ready for a public release.

This is complete rip off of Zephyr swipe up for switcher and return to home

Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    It's very different in its implementation. And those swipes wouldn't feel native on iOS 7 with the new interface animations and style.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Zehpyr isn't compatible with iOS 7 yet.

Gee I wish all these tweaks worked on the iphone 5.

Ahh so the secret is re-installing mobile substrate. Helpful to know.

VVVV You could always feel free to HELP someone who doesn't know how to make something work.
    Last edited by exNavy; 12-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks

^^Lots of complaints for a society that loves options :] The GUI is much different than Assistive Touch. I may have to give it a go.

If this tweak would be made available for iOS 6.1.4 it would be really cool since I dont feel like upgrading to iOS 7