+ Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iOS 7 Jailbreak Story

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Krima He's implying that data is being offloaded on an external site. Maybe the Chinese Mafia. Lol Tell me why a non-Chinese iPhone/evasi0n7 should be sending encrypted
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    He's implying that data is being offloaded on an external site. Maybe the Chinese Mafia. Lol
    Tell me why a non-Chinese iPhone/evasi0n7 should be sending encrypted data to TaiG's website (iphonespirit.com)? What possible legitimate reason?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 2,406 Posts

Read the post before yours man. Use calm and rational reasoning when shuffling through all this 3rd party information.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    (Hey -- For once we're on the same side of an argument... )
    Yes it seems we are. Such a sad sad day.
    Last edited by Krima; 12-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Cydia just disappeared on my iPad air. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 2,406 Posts

Try to search for it using spotlight.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    My very rough understanding of this is that this user IS in China; ie with the Taig installed. The Taig app DOES call home. That is what this shows.

If you are not in China, and/or don't have the Chinese language as your main iphone language, NOTHING from Taig gets installed and this is a non-issue as Geohot confirmed. He is the expert on this stuff (the original jailbreaker), and not an evad3r, so I do trust his word.

None of the true experts have found any calls to this IP, site, etc in the English version.
    I hope that's the case. I'd still like to know more about the obfuscated & patched kernel.

In the meantime, I'm off to spend my debit and credit cards in Target ;-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Try to search for it using spotlight.
    I did. Nothing, evasion says its jail broken, but Cydia just disappeared after I tried launching it and it crashed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    I hope that's the case. I'd still like to know more about the obfuscated & patched kernel.

In the meantime, I'm off to spend my debit and credit cards in Target ;-)
    I think its safe to say with arguably one of the best iphone hackers in the world, geohot (who has no link to this jailbreak or money), saying he back-engineered the jailbreak and found nothing funny or backdoored to China that you are safe.

If that is not enough for people, then you all mine as well never jailbreak to be 100000000% sure.
    Last edited by stulaw11; 12-23-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,630 Times in 5,903 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I did. Nothing, evasion says its jail broken, but Cydia just disappeared after I tried launching it and it crashed.
    Well, you can easily restore and re-jailbreak if just having Cydia with root access is important to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Well, you can easily restore and re-jailbreak if just having Cydia with root access is important to you.
    Having Cydia with root access is pretty important to a jailbreak. I plugged it back into evasion and it installed Cydia back on for me. Hopefully it'll stay now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    "Most likely" is comforting. But what's the explanation for this?...
    Attachment 650332
    Not enough information in that screenshot to go by, we don't know the source of the requests.. all I see as the source is the private ip ( 192... ) I'll do my own tests with fiddler tonight. ( A similar active debugging proxy as shown in the screenshot )

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    Not enough information in that screenshot to go by, we don't know the source of the requests.. all I see as the source is the private ip ( 192... ) I'll do my own tests with fiddler tonight. ( A similar active debugging proxy as shown in the screenshot )
    I'm monitoring now using the same software used in the screenshot ( Charles Proxy ) .. so far nothing... I tried loading up cydia .. and booting fresh.. so far no chinese connection..
    Last edited by oneduality; 12-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

I wonder how many of the posters here think that:
    We never landed on the moon
    Obama was born in Africa
    Romney won the election
    The guy from Fast and Furious was killed in some kind of a conspiracy
    That fluoride in the water supply is mind control (my favorite)
    Paul is dead/Tupac is alive
    The car companies/the oil companies have conspired to prevent cars from running on water
    Something about Wednesday the 25th that I'm not going to go into
    The policeman is your friend
    Add your favorite here

Thanks

Still see no traffic that is suspicious on my device.. the only thing I noticed on a reboot was a number of connections to apple ( icloud.. etc ), verisign, facebook, a site called appleiphonecell.com ( which is owned by apple )

No connections whatsoever to f_bb.iphonespirit.com

So far this leads me to believe that the screenshot was taken from an iphone that has TaiG instead of Cydia .. in short... nothing to worry about..

BUT I will keep monitoring for a few hours.
    Last edited by oneduality; 12-23-2013 at 08:36 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneduality For This Useful Post:

dannyrocket (12-24-2013), dsg (12-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 4,456 Posts

Over an hour of monitoring and I see no traffic that is suspicious on my device.. the only thing I noticed on a reboot was a number of connections to apple ( icloud.. etc ), verisign, facebook, a site called appleiphonecell.com ( which is owned by apple )

No connections whatsoever to f_bb.iphonespirit.com

So far this leads me to believe that the screenshot was taken from an iphone that has TaiG instead of Cydia .. in short... nothing to worry about..

BUT I will keep monitoring for a few hours.
    Thanks for taking time to help establish conclusive proof. But there are still people who prefer scandal to truth.. So even if you prove it - some will still prefer to believe the conspiracy. The penchant toward "Conspiracy theory belief" is actually listed as a "psychological disorder" in psychiatric medical training. Interesting..

Thanks again.. Maybe we can finally put to rest this crazy belief about Chinese snooping in our jailbreak.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Almost 12:30am my time... still no china connects from my jailbroken 5s in the US .. I'll even keep it monitoring through the night.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to oneduality For This Useful Post:

dsg (12-24-2013)

EVO
    Thanks

Almost 12:30am my time... still no china connects from my jailbroken 5s in the US .. I'll even keep it monitoring through the night.
    wireshark is one of the best packet monitoring tools

I use it every day at my job

keep us posted

Thanks

ANYONE can perform this test on their own .. all they have to do is install Charles Proxy ( trial mode works ) or Fiddler 2 which is free.. then they just need to set up their iphone to go through that proxy .. on the left panel you can see all of the incoming/outgoing connections .. so whether they believe me or not is irrelevant .. if they want to still believe the nonsense then they should be at least prepared to test it for themselves =)

So again people .. no connections to china from my phone in the US .. I let my phone sit there for a couple of hours.. and will leave it monitoring till morning.. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT ... Do it yourself! .. it's easy to monitor your own phone's internet activity... you'll see all inbound/outbound ocnnections.. just as in the screenshot.. only you won't see any to china unless you have the Chinese store installed.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    wireshark is one of the best packet monitoring tools

I use it every day at my job

keep us posted
    Wireshark is ok, but last time I used it you had to capture and then analyze later, not realtime.. Charles and Fiddler are realtime.. you don't have to capture a huge amount of data and then analyze it later.. it may have evolved since then.. I just chose to use Charles because that's what is being used in the screenshot posted.. I wanted it to be the same to be fair .. I suggested Fiddler since it's free and very similar .. but I think both Charles and Fiddler are more intuitive for the novice..
    Last edited by oneduality; 12-23-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    I wonder how many of the posters here think that:
    We never landed on the moon
    Add your favorite here
    9/11 was a vast government/Jewish conspiracy.
    The CIA killed Kennedy. Or both.
    The government has aliens locked up/buried at Roswell NM/Area 51.
    Jesus loves you, but more if you're white and rich.

This proves nothing, the Chinese know you're watching them, so OF COURSE your i5s is not going to call home for its secret instructions!

Last edited by buggsy2; 12-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks for checking this. I'm trying to find out what evasi0n version Spangborn was using.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    9/11 was a vast government/Jewish conspiracy.
    The CIA killed Kennedy. Or both.
    The government has aliens locked up/buried at Roswell NM/Area 51.
    Jesus loves you, but more if you're white and rich.

This proves nothing, the Chinese know you're watching them, so OF COURSE your i5s is not going to call home for its secret instructions!

I know you're joking, but there's people out there who are going to take you seriously and think that some that's true .. lol

Ah well .. all I can do is test it myself, tell people how to test it themselves.. at least I'll be resting easy knowing my own jailbroken 5s isn't ringing up china's servers

Thanks

I'm waiting till this JB is stable and Cydia apps work with IOS 7