+ Reply
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iOS 7 Jailbreak Story

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
IMO this shouldn't even be an issue...if you have anything more private than your email and FB passwords on your phone then folks in a foreign country should be the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

IMO this shouldn't even be an issue...if you have anything more private than your email and FB passwords on your phone then folks in a foreign country should be the least of your security concerns.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The timing of this is ridiculous. 7.1 is going to be out in just a couple of weeks, and releasing it now means it's possible for apple to plug the exploits that the jb uses in 7.1. So by the time that cydia gets updated the jb may be toast. Bravo evaders.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

7.1 won't harm anything. Watch.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

taliezin - great post.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

taliezin (12-22-2013)

Thanks

I'm very thankful for the Jailbreak. However, it is unfortunate how clumsily it seems to have been released...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,995 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by altoiddealer View Post
    I'm very thankful for the Jailbreak. However, it is unfortunate how clumsily it seems to have been released...
    Yea. I really enjoyed those final days last year - with the countdown to release. And though Cydia was backed up as usual.. those of us who'd downloaded the .debs for all the major tweaks - had 'compatible' tweaks the moment we jailbroke. So many tweaks compatible on day 1 last year on release day. Not so today.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taliezin View Post
    I agree with this fully. And btw, about all the complaints of tweaks not working yet. It has been the same with every JB release, developers start updating to new iOS JB after it has been released. And this is, if I remember correctly, only the second time a JB was released without an updated Cydia. When Cydia is updated it will be possible to install trough the Cydia version that is released with this latest JB release. It has always been the same with JB releases, it will take days and some weeks for all the developers to update there tweaks and apps for the new iOS.

And furthermore, there always have been healthy rivalry between JB teams. Only thing this time is that now Apple is growing market in China, there are JB orientated platforms that are willing to pay good money to get there appstore included in a JB release. The only motivation I think is, to get a head start in the JB app market that will be growing in China the coming years. This resulted in multiple JB teams that were coding a iOS 7 JB to get these offers, which may have included a deal to be not only to be included in the iOS 7 JB release but to be included in the FIRST iOS 7 JB release. This could be the legitimate reason of a early release without notice to the JB community.

So, without info about what this Chinese Cydia alternative might have installed with this JB release, which will be clear in days to come, I imagine, we are only dealing here with JB coding teams getting a good offer for their hard work. This is all fair trade.

This is only day ONE of iOS 7 JB release. The days to come, more JB tweaks will get updated to iOS 7, like with any JB release. And IF the Chinese Cydia alternative has slipped in some malicious code in this JB release, I am very confidant it will be found out and removed from future updates of evasi0n7. So for the haters out there, nothing really big has changed from other JB releases in the past. There is always a first release that will be updated within the first week, and a lot of tweaks won't work yet, like always.

I think it is great the JB teams get to make some money making out of it. And if they stay on top of it to keep it safe for the end-users, who are we to stop them making some hard-earned money out of it. Don't forget, the JB community have always worked very hard and tirelessly to release JB solutions FOR FREE. And they still do. Give thanks to those who earn it.
    you are correct in saying this is day one of this release and like anything first released, there will be bugs and sideloaded/cydia apps will need updated for compatibility for latest MS and such once its available so "under the hood" is running properly. Yes they do this for free on there own time and exactly contributing this type of work is a lot of time, which why jailbreaks are limited these days due to most of the people involved from the start have grown up in their lives and just cant dedicate that kind of time anymore or don't want to be involved at all to have pressure on them. choosing between spending free time with family as oppose to coding some new binaries and building new installer/boot strap applicable roots for end users. some look at the donations as payment and expect that to drive results, but what the real factors are kernel source involvement, in this case a whole brand new 64bit armv8 cpu chip to learn on too. either way hats off to these folks for still producing a product that is "dumbed down" enough not to have to use adb and linux to get all the script line commands to get all the work of that wrapped up into one package and a simple nice GUI for all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to riassan For This Useful Post:

anig (12-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 850 Posts

I don't want any Chinese coding in my jailbreak. Just that I know it's there kinda fouls the whole thing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Q_bAn_b (12-23-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I don't want any Chinese coding in my jailbreak. Just that I know it's there kinda fouls the whole thing.
    As several have said and confirmed.. the Chinese store is only placed on your phone when it detects Chinese locale/language or with the Chinese jailbreak tool. Not a single character of Chinese code is entered on the phones we're using here. Period. End of drama.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

anig (12-22-2013), buggsy2 (12-22-2013), Kyle Matthews (12-22-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I remember Jailbreaking my original iPhone when Jailbreaking first was a thing. Only reason I did it was to have a custom background on my phone in place of the black one. That was with Installer at the time which most of the people whining probably never heard of. When something new is released it always takes time for compatibility to catch up. People are just to impatient now a days.
    Be thankful you are getting a Jailbreak for free and from the same group of guys that have been doing it since jump street. If you don't have trust in the developers creating the Jailbreak don't use it or go create your own then.
    I don't think you can fault a group making some cash on the side for something they do out of passion. This isn't a big corporation taking money behind the back and then making a profit off of data mining. It's a group of people that happen to be very skilled in coding and enjoy doing it for the public.
    They surprise everyone for X-Mas with a Jailbreak and everyone acts like ungrateful punks. I suppose that is expected though it is X-Mas and a lot of you probably are ungrateful punks. Be happy the Jailbreak is here and in a couple weeks time the majority of the popular apps will have been updated in Cydia.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kotin6006 For This Useful Post:

Fireman999 (12-23-2013), LittleGod (12-23-2013), taliezin (12-22-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taliezin View Post
    Don't forget, the JB community have always worked very hard and tirelessly to release JB solutions FOR FREE.
    How much do they get from the freewill donations, when they ask for them?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    As several have said and confirmed.. the Chinese store is only placed on your phone when it detects Chinese locale/language or with the Chinese jailbreak tool. Not a single character of Chinese code is entered on the phones we're using here. Period. End of drama.
    Exactly. If you don't trust the Jailbreak team to protect your data and privacy then why the hell are you Jailbreaking in the first place?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    100's of thousands of $. The whole idea of 'work for free' is really a naive notion. Several of the key guys make their living from JB tools. Yes, they work hard. AND they're "well paid" for it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Why does it matter? They do not ask for them btw. They simply advertise that you can donate if you CHOOSE TO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    Why does it matter? They do not ask for them btw. They simply advertise that you can donate if you CHOOSE TO.
    Keyword CHOOSE to donate.....enough said..."drops the mic and walks off stage"....🚶🚶🚶

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    It's funny to me that the real question that is ont the table was dodged in this article. If we have installed this Jailbreak in English, are we in imminent peril or is our data compromised, can be compromised in any way.

A simple yes or no will suffice.
    Agreed, I am not at all impressed with MODMYI. You rushed out the evasi0n7 tutorial last night without knowing the full facts and gave no fair warning. My data may have been compromised because of you (and of course it's my fault too)

We all know the risks of JB but evasi0n7 releasing a JB with possible Malware included gives me the sh!$s. I wouldn't expect this sort of behavior from them either but I guess once a hacker, always a hacker.
    I have reset all my devices back to stock iOS, hopefully not too late.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I heard that TaiG is actually run by the SNSA (Secret National Security Agency)—an organization that provides Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr. and Carter, specifically, with your personal information. The program that came with the jailbreak, I heard, automatically detects all of your "selfie" nude pictures and provides them to the president and former presidents encrypted to look like diagnostic information going to Apple in case you use a packet sniffer.

Open your eyes, people. Your reptilian "elected officials" know how your genitals look, and it has been through extensive research on genitals that they've learned how our minds work so they can use just the right rhetoric to twist our perceptions so that we keep voting them in office! EVERY SINGLE POLITICIAN is a scumbag part of the organization of sharing nudie pics except for Ron Paul because he looks at women's vaginas for a living!

- The Internet
    Last edited by Christophxr; 12-22-2013 at 08:07 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christophxr For This Useful Post:

bbrks (12-23-2013), Feanor64 (12-22-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    100's of thousands of $. The whole idea of 'work for free' is really a naive notion. Several of the key guys make their living from JB tools. Yes, they work hard. AND they're "well paid" for it.
    Wrong. We're not talking $500,000+. We're talking a HAIR over $100,000 by everything the one can discern. Divide that between the multiple people who worked on a jailbreak hundreds of hours each. No one is buying a Ferrari off of this. In fact, its probably very little side money for each person involved on the jailbreak team; way less than the jailbreak is actually worth.

I say good for evad3rs for getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackme View Post
    Agreed, I am not at all impressed with MODMYI. You rushed out the evasi0n7 tutorial last night without knowing the full facts and gave no fair warning. My data may have been compromised because of you (and of course it's my fault too)

We all know the risks of JB but evasi0n7 releasing a JB with possible Malware included gives me the sh!$s. I wouldn't expect this sort of behavior from them either but I guess once a hacker, always a hacker.
    *Rolls eyes* Really?

pod2g ‏@pod2g 26m
    @shsaxena @hulohalo there's no encrypted data being sent, but downloaded, the kill switch that we used here. I am tired of rumors…
    Last edited by stulaw11; 12-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to stulaw11 For This Useful Post:

Fireman999 (12-23-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Wrong. We're not talking $750,000. We're talking a HAIR over $100,000 by everything the one can discern. Divide that between the multiple people who worked on a jailbreak hundreds of hours each. No one is buying a Ferrari off of this. In fact, its probably very little side money for each perosn involved on the jailbreak team; way less than the jailbreak is actually worth.
    Your sources are "way off".. But I agree - No Ferraris. But enough to make a couple of them full time livings. Now with this huge $ from from the China deal (huuuge $).. well it's easy to get the real picture. The days of a few hackers doing it for the fun and altruism of it - are gone. Jailbreaking is a commercial endeavor now. Not Fortune 500... but a way more than "side cash"..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-22-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mackme View Post

lol.

As stated again and again, regardless of the status of the TaiG app - devices jailbroken in the US do not have it installed. Period. Done. End.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (12-22-2013)